Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2016, 05:06 AM   #21

Right. This is the problem with owning a Porsche as your first car while knowing nothing about how it works.

I really feel for you dude, and I can completely sympathise with what's happening, but you just can't buy a car like this as your first car without knowing even a little bit with what's going on under the skin. You have to do a bit of research dude.

Now in a very basic way, let's look at that diagram that Cornontherob posted. See the cylinder head and engine block here?

Oil within the engine block lubricates all of the moving parts (and also helps cool it). All of the oil sits at the bottom of the engine block, then gets circled around to lubricate the moving parts, like this:

Coolant is the liquid that cools your engine, which gets pushed around the block to cool it down. Hot coolant goes from your engine into your radiator, the radiator cools it down, then it goes back into your engine, and so on. Like this:

The head gasket in the first diagram sits between the two ensures that the oil and coolant doesn't mix. When this fails, the oil will mix with the coolant which means two things:

- Oil can't lubricate the parts well as it's now watered down
- Coolant can't cool the engine down due to having oil in it

When the two mix, you'll get a creamy liquid which is clean coolant and thick dirty oil mixing together. One of the checks people do when buying a car is to look under the oil cap for this creamy substance, also nicknamed 'mayonnaise', as it's a sign that this has happened. So to see that it's pouring out of your car, it's sure sign that this is the case.

Unfortunately, this is pretty much catastrophic. The mixed substance has now gone around your engine and around your radiator too. All of this will need repairing and, unfortunately, it's very expensive as you're talking engine rebuild.

Now I don't want to rub it in, but when oil and coolant start to mix, the engine will start to overheat and you should have noticed the temperature gauge go up on your dashboard before any other signs happened, before any noises, engine struggling, etc. If you had stopped the car at this early stage of it starting to overheat, you could have saved it. But seeing as you drove and drove it without even thinking of googling what you should do, it looks like it's probably game over.

Again I really, really feel for you mate. But if there's anything to be learnt here, it's to do some research on some basic workings of a car. If you knew everything I said in this post (and what other people have said), which is just basic car knowledge, you could have saved the car.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting

Last edited by geraintthomas; 10-13-2016 at 05:27 AM.
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:44 AM   #22

Garage
Drive it off a bridge !
Old 10-13-2016, 09:45 AM   #23

Garage
As far as I know there is only 1 situation where oil and water meeting isn't catastrophic - the Oil cooler 'O' rings.
Head gaskets leaking appears to be very rare.
Cracked head might be in play here.
The other question is - what would cause coolant to spew from the radiator end of the car not the Overflow in front of the right rear tire?
Would a cracked head allow pumping air into the Cooling system (like a leaky head gasket) causing so much pressure that it blew a weak area in the radiator system?

Good luck with this
Old 10-14-2016, 03:42 AM   #24

Possibly a cracked head, oil going into the coolant, too much liquid for the radiator and pipes, then they split.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:43 AM   #25

When an engine is overheating and continues to be driven, especially when there is enough vapor in the system that "normal" coolant circulation by the water pump ceases, the temperaratures of the engine head will continue to increase, and rate of boiling of the coolant will accelerate. The coolant liquid or vapors can only escape out the coolant cap/pressure relief vent so quickly, so "runaway" overheating could allow excessive pressure to build up (well above what the pressure relief cap would start to vent at) which would then cause the system to start to relieve this pressure at the next weakest link, whereever that is (in this case, apparently it was somewhere around the right radiator).

Last edited by jakeru; 10-14-2016 at 10:48 AM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:48 AM   #26
Crib

Garage
Man, I really sympathize with you. It is truly heartbreaking to read this thread after also having read your other ones.

But I guess you don't really need our sympathies nor comments on that you should have stopped in time. Perhaps it would not have really mattered either, after the first loud noise. Who knows...

Anyway, my honest tip for you would be either of the two:

1. If you still got the commitment and spirit: really try to get hold of a serious mechanic, but with continued dialogue with the original one regarding liability. Isnt there any consumer rights legislation in Singapore that you can hang on to?

2. If you finally decide that you are sick if this: Buy a car with a more mainstream after market situation that allows you to know less of cars and still rely on a fair quality being delivered. You are never safe with any car though...

I hope this sorts out man! (and that you by good reasons go by 1. above)

Crib is offline   Reply With Quote