Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2016, 07:53 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 19
Question Need help picking out rims

So I am 16 and drive a 2002 Boxster S, it is completely stock and i want to replace the wheels. Im looking into the Turbo 2 Style Rims and the 997 turbo wheels. (Correct me if i am wrong with the names). I just want opinions on what wheels you guys think would look best. The picture of the 986 is not my picture but is the exact model and look of my 986. Also if you guys have any suggestions of any other rims to look into please letme know! thank you.


aj_s21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:25 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Pdwight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 2,079
These

I have always liked these wheels......one day

SAVINI® BM-12 Wheels - Black with Machined Face and Stripe Rims
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:33 PM   #3
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6
 
paulofto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 1,160
Garage
I like the top ones. Simple and clean.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:12 AM   #4
Registered User
 
DrCactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 452
Garage
I have to say I like the THIRD photo best ... because those are the ones I have !! lol Less things can get near your brakes too while driving like rocks etc.... too much surface opening your looking for trouble. My buddy had it happen to him and it cost him a huge amount to replace the brakes on one corner due to a rock getting in and whipping around inside - huge damage to everything. Just real bad luck I guess for him.
__________________
DrCactus
DrCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:31 AM   #5
Registered User
 
redciv1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Dacula, Georgia
Posts: 264
I think it's best to photo shop if you can the wheels you are considering. I have seen many wheels that look nice, however once on the 986, it just doesn't present the same way. With that being said, I like the Victor Equipment Turismo wheel in Silver.
redciv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:46 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 70
I have the top ones....here's a pic for you.
Jthoms1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:08 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 7,240
Do check the weights of your current rims and tires and make sure your upgraded wheels and tires are lighter, not heavier than what you have now.

I was itching to update my wheels when I first got my boxster and I bought aftermarket Carrera light 18 rims that were 10 inch on the back and 9 inch on the front. Amazing looking stance from the rear and made the car look a million times newer and better in my opinion.

Then I took it for a drive and noticed that the style of the wheel is "Carrera Light" but these wheels were anything but light! Talk about increased unsprung weight. Ugh! The car now drives like a pig and it takes forever to get off the line.

I can tell you know that avoiding this wheel weight problem is not going to be cheap or easy. Most of the aftermarket rims that knock off the look of a turbo are not going to be the same weight as a Porsche factory wheel of any style.

I've found some lightweight aftermarket rims on Tire Rack that I'll probably move toward now that I'm not tracking my boxster and I can sell both my aftermarket Carrera lights and my factory 17s and move to a lighter wheel/tire combination.
__________________
'97 Boxster (Black Hole for 42,000 Dead Presidents and counting) - 122k
New motor, transmission, suspension, and on and on and on it goes...
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:26 AM   #8
Registered User
 
heliguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_s21 View Post
So I am 16 and drive a 2002 Boxster S, it is completely stock and i want to replace the wheels. Im looking into the Turbo 2 Style Rims and the 997 turbo wheels. (Correct me if i am wrong with the names). I just want opinions on what wheels you guys think would look best. The picture of the 986 is not my picture but is the exact model and look of my 986. Also if you guys have any suggestions of any other rims to look into please letme know! thank you.

Ah, you're 16 so that explains your constant use of the term "rims." They are "wheels", you said it in the beginning of your paragraph...keep it consistent and lets all say it together, "wheels."

JK-they will add to the look of your car.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:27 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Tannersville PA
Posts: 471
Just a quick PS.......



achillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:37 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Wheaton Il
Posts: 148
BBS SR wheels in anthracite. 18x8 in front and 18x10 in the back. I have yet to see these on amother boxster but they are the first thing I always get complimented on. Good to see another young boxster owner on here!!! 20 years old
Attached Images
 
2000986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:38 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Scituate MA
Posts: 833
Stock IMO. I think the twists are timeless.
How about a color change.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:45 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Wheaton Il
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
I have always liked these wheels......one day

SAVINI® BM-12 Wheels - Black with Machined Face and Stripe Rims
I would really like these with ano anthracite or black face. I just am not a fan of chrome (silver whatever you call them) wheels on a silver car. Gotta have some contrast imho.
2000986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:52 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Tannersville PA
Posts: 471
I think the SRs are great, Had them on a 3 series. Also, not crazy expensive for BBS wheels.
achillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:24 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sanford NC
Posts: 2,415
Some thoughts....

The bigger the wheel, the more expensive the tire.

The less room between the road and the wheel, the more risk to the wheel when you hit a pothole.

The weight of the wheel tire combination is unsprung weight, thus handling is affected as there is more mass for the shocks to absorb.

The offset and width matters. Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit Some offsets can be compensated for with spacers.

Visually, some wheels can dominate the look of the car. My personal preference (which others may differ with) is for an 18" wheel without the bright chrome look.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:04 PM   #15
Crib
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 80
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
Ah, you're 16 so that explains your constant use of the term "rims." They are "wheels", you said it in the beginning of your paragraph...keep it consistent and lets all say it together, "wheels."

JK-they will add to the look of your car.

So offtopic on the lingo here... is there local differences? british/us/aussie english?

If straight translated into swedish:

rim = fälg
tyre/tire = däck
wheel = hjul

And the usage of those would be that "fälg" is the metal, "däck" is the rubber and finally "hjul" is the two parts assembled together =D

so ontopic: pic1 has my vote.
Crib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:50 PM   #16
Patriot
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ft. Leonard Wood
Posts: 6,105
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crib View Post
So offtopic on the lingo here... is there local differences? british/us/aussie english?

If straight translated into swedish:

rim = fälg
tyre/tire = däck
wheel = hjul

And the usage of those would be that "fälg" is the metal, "däck" is the rubber and finally "hjul" is the two parts assembled together =D

so ontopic: pic1 has my vote.
Rim is slang generally associated with a less than noble element of American culture, at least here in the Midwest.
A wheel is made of 3 parts; a hub, spokes and a rim.
The rubber part is called the tire. All together = wheels and tires, though sometimes this is shortened to just wheels when the inclusion of a tire is reasonably assumed.

I like wheel #1
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 06:12 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Greater Seattle, WA
Posts: 534
You asked for opinions, so opinions are what you'll get. Although I think it's probably not what you really wanted to hear, mine is that #3 (what you've got now, the 18" turbo-twist) looks best, out of the options presented. They are, IMO, absolutely a timeless classic for these cars... with smooth contours that complement the similarly smooth contours of the 1st gen 986 very nicely. And while you're at it, leave them in silver, too.... IMO.
__________________
2001 Boxster

Last edited by jakeru; 10-07-2016 at 06:15 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:10 PM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 19
very nice. thank you for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
I have always liked these wheels......one day

SAVINI® BM-12 Wheels - Black with Machined Face and Stripe Rims
very nice. thank you for the suggestion!
aj_s21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:11 PM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeru View Post
You asked for opinions, so opinions are what you'll get. Although I think it's probably not what you really wanted to hear, mine is that #3 (what you've got now, the 18" turbo-twist) looks best, out of the options presented. They are, IMO, absolutely a timeless classic for these cars... with smooth contours that complement the similarly smooth contours of the 1st gen 986 very nicely. And while you're at it, leave them in silver, too.... IMO.
haha all opinions welcome! i love the style too, just want to spice it up a bit
aj_s21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:13 PM   #20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000986s View Post
BBS SR wheels in anthracite. 18x8 in front and 18x10 in the back. I have yet to see these on amother boxster but they are the first thing I always get complimented on. Good to see another young boxster owner on here!!! 20 years old
haha yup! and your car looks great!

aj_s21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
986 , boxster , rims , wheels


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page