Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2016, 06:03 PM   #1

Transmission issues or normal for 986 tiptronic?

I've a 1998 2.5L 986 tip,

When I'm driving, while accelerating gently on Drive mode... I notice when the gear changes from 2-3 or 3-4 or 4-5 for example, the grunt of the engine will go silent for a while and then come back on.

The power will transiently (1s) Lower a while and then come back on with greater force again.

Seems to be like the gear is shifting and hence shouldn't be any issues?

No such thing with my Toyota corolla automatic.

Is this normal or should I worry about it?

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk

perspectivism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:05 PM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I have a 97 Tip and that sounds different from my experience. In 'auto', I have a slight bogging of the engine at 2800, but the trans always seems to shift crisply. In 'manual', if I start in 1st, it blows right thru that rpm. The only time I have had issues with it shifting is when I am throwing it around corners and I believe the fluid is sloshing about and starving the pump. It has only happened twice and I now know what to do to prevent it.

Does it shift properly when you drive it harder? How many miles on the car? Have you checked the trans fluid level?
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:31 PM   #3

Hey my car has quite a couple of issues. I just bought it. About 180km so far.

Recently coolant box leaked and atf mixed with water. They replaced coolant box and flushed out the atf multiple times.

No issues with gear engagement (engaging drive, reserve etc) and driving at all.

But when at auto mode, and while accelerating , the RPM initially could be at 2.5k and when gear shifts automatically, rpm drops to 1.8k and then picks up again. All this happens in less than a second but u can feel it. Sometimes it is not too noticeable. This 'experience' is something I can live with.

But just wondering if Any cause of concern? Thanks in advance

Last edited by perspectivism; 10-02-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:37 PM   #4

In addition, I think it shifts normally. I only drive in auto mode. I feel no issues with shifting of gears I think but it is just this slight 'lowering' of rpm in less than 1s whenever the gear shifts . This is the main issue I'm concerned about

Old 10-03-2016, 02:07 AM   #5

Sorry for the multiple questions. This is my first car.

After parking, we put the car into P ... Once that is done, the car will spontaneously rock back and forth. What could be the reasons?

Old 10-03-2016, 05:39 AM   #6

Garage
When was the last service done on the trans? Porsche recommends every 90K miles but 60K is probably more realistic. My '99 Tip was showing a little slippage at 80K and I had it done then. Trans felt like a new one after. Depending on the slant you're on when Park is engaged the car can move a little.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by perspectivism View Post
…They replaced coolant box and flushed out the atf multiple times…
How did they flush the system? In that case this is not a simple thing.

If there is still coolant in the ATF system . no wonder you run into problems.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:27 AM   #8

Car is on flat ground when parking.

Ok this is what happens. I went to verify it again.

When Park is engaged.. I would let go of the brake pedal, and the car would rock gently back and forth for about 1-2s.. then stay stationary.

Sounds like a transmission problem?

They told me atf was flushed through and through. And i actually witnessed them removing and replacing the atf multiple times until the last output was clear atf fluid.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
When was the last service done on the trans? Porsche recommends every 90K miles but 60K is probably more realistic. My '99 Tip was showing a little slippage at 80K and I had it done then. Trans felt like a new one after. Depending on the slant you're on when Park is engaged the car can move a little.
May I ask how did you notice that your transmission was slipping? What were the symptoms?

What should a normal one be like?

Old 10-03-2016, 07:55 AM   #10

Mine does an odd thing going from 2nd to 3rd...There's almost like an intermediary "shift" in between the two gears, but it's really not a shift...It just feels like a light shift...Research indicates that it's normal, and not the transmission, but rather the Variocam...Car runs and shifts like a sewing machine otherwise...

1985 Porsche Carrera Targa - Guards Red

1978 Porsche 911SC Euro Non-Sunroof - Grand Prix White
Seadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:03 AM   #11
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
This may not be related to the issues that you are having, but I have been working on a '99 recently. It had a variety of problems that compounded each other, making it look like the transmission was bad.

-The transmission mounts were completely worn out. The transmission and engine were not held firmly in place, making shifting at low torque feel 'wobbly'.

-The shift lever was damaged and the adjustment on the shift cable was off, so that when positioned in drive/reverse/park it was not firmly in gear.

-The spark plugs were heavily worn and the throttle body was coated with a layer of oil and dust, making the engine anemic, giving weak acceleration.

Be sure to check over all the parts that are subject to wear, especially on a 1998, before concluding that a major component is bad. If you don't know for sure that the engine mount (front of engine) has been replaced in the last five years, I can almost guarantee that it is worn out and contributing to your problem.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by perspectivism View Post
May I ask how did you notice that your transmission was slipping? What were the symptoms?

What should a normal one be like?

There was a slight pause between shifts then a slight jolt when it engaged in the next gear. Nothing jaw breaking but enough for me to notice the difference. After the fluid and filter service the car shifts smoothly with no hesitation or jolt.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:21 PM   #13

I was just watching a YouTube video where a couple of chaps (always wanted to say that) purchased a Boxster that had an automatic transmission, it worked good in manual but slipped between gears in auto, they changed the transmission fluid and filter and it worked perfectly. Its a long video, but anyone wanting to watch it can run it forward. The transmission work begins at about 11:45. Good Luck!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS_yKQRcln0

MARTHA is offline   Reply With Quote