View Single Post
Old 10-03-2016, 09:03 AM   #11
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
This may not be related to the issues that you are having, but I have been working on a '99 recently. It had a variety of problems that compounded each other, making it look like the transmission was bad.

-The transmission mounts were completely worn out. The transmission and engine were not held firmly in place, making shifting at low torque feel 'wobbly'.

-The shift lever was damaged and the adjustment on the shift cable was off, so that when positioned in drive/reverse/park it was not firmly in gear.

-The spark plugs were heavily worn and the throttle body was coated with a layer of oil and dust, making the engine anemic, giving weak acceleration.

Be sure to check over all the parts that are subject to wear, especially on a 1998, before concluding that a major component is bad. If you don't know for sure that the engine mount (front of engine) has been replaced in the last five years, I can almost guarantee that it is worn out and contributing to your problem.