Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2018, 05:02 PM   #1

Drivers side window pops back up when the door id open

My drivers side window pops back up when the door handle is released.

Is there a sensor that I need to check or something else?

2000 2.7 Boxster
aussieboxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:56 PM   #2
ASE Certified Idiot

Garage
Could be the window regulator. Those things have all sorts of ways of failing.
1990 Pontiac Trans Am GTA .:. 1990 Corvette ZR-1 (#1930) .:. 1992 Pontiac Firehawk (#010)
1931 Ford Model A Tudor .:. 1967 Pontiac GTO .:. 1986 Pontiac Trans Am basket-case
gtoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:56 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Faulty switch in the driver's side door latch mechanism (the car thinks the handle was pulled without the door actually opening). I've never heard of anyone trying to replace the switch. Usually just replace the entire door latch.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:22 AM   #4

Faulty door mechanism. Check with Qmalas on here. He sells rebuilt door mechanisms for $100. I wouldn't buy used as they're not the funnest thing to replace.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Faulty door mechanism. Check with Qmalas on here. He sells rebuilt door mechanisms for $100. I wouldn't buy used as they're not the funnest thing to replace.
Yep, door latch assembly. If you want new, check Gaudin Porsche in Vegas.
navair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:50 PM   #6

This was me a few weeks ago. Indy had to replace entire door latch.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:46 PM   #7

Garage
I had this issue back in 2009. Here is a link to the thread that helped me resolve it:
Door window drops but immediately jumps back up
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:22 PM   #8

I had this problem on my car as well and I ended up just replacing the regulator - problem gone! The DIY for the regulator isn't horribly difficult, just a little fiddly. If you have a friend to help, it'll be much easier. I used a combination of the 101 Projects book and a couple of YouTube videos to guide me. Just be careful with disconnecting the battery - if you do it wrong you will set off the airbag failure warning when you plug it back in and will have to use a durametric to turn off that light... ask me how I know.

It took me about 2 hours to do the whole thing, working at a leisurely pace. I used the URO Parts replacement, which I have heard mixed reviews on, but it is working fine for me so far.

There is also a way to reset the door mechanism - I would try this first - I think, and someone can correct me on this, you're supposed to lower the window all the way down, hold the switch for 5 seconds, release, press it down again, and then raise the window. This worked for me for a bit, but then I had to replace the regulator. Hope this helps! Let me know if you need more advice / tips - I recently did this job.
speedyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:12 PM   #9

I have the same problem on my 1997 Boxster drivers door. I replaced the window regulator and properly adjusted the window. I replaced the door latch mechanism. It did not cure the problem. When I pull on either the inside or outside handle and open the door the interior lights go on but when I let go of either handle the window pops back up. I know the micro switches are working on both handles and the latch switch is working because the interior lights come on when the door is opened and go off when the door is closed. I end up partially pulling up either the inside or outside handle to index the window open as I close the door then let go of the handle to fully close the window again. Any Ideas would be appreciated.
BobRickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:31 PM   #10

Could this be the light switch for the drivers door?

2000 2.7 Boxster
aussieboxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:45 PM   #11
-Pete

Garage
It is most likely the door latch due to a failed micro switch in the latch itself. The newest update from Porsche has a changed design for the switch contact that looks as if the problem should be slowed down or maybe even stopped. I just did mine last weekend for the same thing. I pulled the old one out and installed the new one in about 30 minutes. No special tools needed. A #2 Philips screw driver, 4mm allen, T30 torx driver, 8mm triple square and a 10mm socket on a 1/4" driver. An interior pry tool set wouldn't hurt either.

PM me if you need some help or a step by step walk through. It is not hard though if you have any mechanical abilities.

-Ed
NVYELLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVYELLO View Post
It is most likely the door latch due to a failed micro switch in the latch itself. The newest update from Porsche has a changed design for the switch contact that looks as if the problem should be slowed down or maybe even stopped. I just did mine last weekend for the same thing. I pulled the old one out and installed the new one in about 30 minutes. No special tools needed. A #2 Philips screw driver, 4mm allen, T30 torx driver, 8mm triple square and a 10mm socket on a 1/4" driver. An interior pry tool set wouldn't hurt either.

PM me if you need some help or a step by step walk through. It is not hard though if you have any mechanical abilities.

-Ed
Do you happen to have the part numbers for the new actuators Ed? And where did you order from? thank you!
Old 04-06-2018, 11:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangta View Post
Do you happen to have the part numbers for the new actuators Ed? And where did you order from? thank you!
Yes! both of my doors are like this and I'm getting tired of it. The rebuilt ones sound good as well...

Here's my workaround.

To exit the car:
  1. Stop the car.
  2. Roll the windows down a little bit
  3. Shut it off and get out
  4. Close the door
  5. Insert key and turn to the locking position, and hold it there. Both windows will roll up
  6. Remove the key. The car is now locked. If you want to disable the motion sensor when locking, turn the key twice before holding it.

When it is time to get back in the car:
  1. Insert key and turn to unlocking position and hold it a few seconds. The windows will start to roll down.
  2. Take key out and get in

Without this workaround, what a hassle...
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Yes! both of my doors are like this and I'm getting tired of it. The rebuilt ones sound good as well...

Here's my workaround.

To exit the car:
  1. Stop the car.
  2. Roll the windows down a little bit
  3. Shut it off and get out
  4. Close the door
  5. Insert key and turn to the locking position, and hold it there. Both windows will roll up
  6. Remove the key. The car is now locked. If you want to disable the motion sensor when locking, turn the key twice before holding it.

When it is time to get back in the car:
  1. Insert key and turn to unlocking position and hold it a few seconds. The windows will start to roll down.
  2. Take key out and get in

Without this workaround, what a hassle...
yes, a hassle for sure. Sounds like your car has the extra security system? What year is yours? I'm not sure if mine has it or not (2001 S)?
Old 04-06-2018, 12:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangta View Post
yes, a hassle for sure. Sounds like your car has the extra security system? What year is yours? I'm not sure if mine has it or not (2001 S)?
I have a 2000 S, and I think they all came with it. If they didn't, I'm sure mine wouldn't, as I have very few options. I don't even have the little courtesy lights in the doors.

I am to where I always disable the motion sensor after an incident where I locked the car and left it somewhere, and a suction cup mount I had on the windshield fell off and triggered the motion sensor...

And I just read this interesting bit in the Bentley, under new features for 2002 Model year:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley manual
The vehicle alarm system received a functional enhancement. If
the doors are opened manually with the key but the ignition is not
switched on within 10 seconds, the alarm sounds. This change
eliminated the function of lowering the door windows by holding
the key in UNLOCK position.
So possibly my workaround only works up through 2001?

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote