Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2016, 02:26 PM   #1

the beast- headers , resonators, GHL muffler

As some of you know I'm running a 3.6 Raby short stroke. For exhaust I'm running aftermarket headers , aftermarket resonators in the cat delete pipes and a GHL muffler. The entire system is aprox. 25 pounds lighter than stock which is good . But the unique exhaust pulse of the short stroke motor was causing painfully loud resonance between 2,000 - 3,000 . Last week my wife and I went for a long road trip and the complaints from the passenger seat were loud and clear !
So I could either go back to the OEM boat anchor or try to tone down what I had . The exhaust tips on the GHL are 3 " so I searched the web and found some Car Chemistry exhaust baffles. I purchased the " builders kit " consisting of 3 " ends caps and the proper sized core baffles. I went with 7 " long baffles. I also ordered the stainless steel exhaust packing . So today I welded the baffles to the end caps and packed them with the stainless steel packing. Slid them into place and clamped them with Vise Grips. Drilled one hole in each and installed a steel rivet . As I lowered the car off the lift I was thinking what if this doesn't work ? With the car on the ground I grabbed the keys and fired her up..........wow sounds pretty good ! Took her for a 10 mile drive and I could not believe how the car had been transformed, I would say 99 % of the resonance/drone is gone but she still sounds like a beast when you get on it . Yeah I may be giving up a few hp but the sound is damn near perfect ! I am very , very happy .

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:56 PM   #2

how about a clip of the sound? we all like to hear happy stories about getting the exhaust note to where we like it but we also like to hear it!
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:01 PM   #3
Ben-Auto-Design

+1 with Chris
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
1982 928 S Euro
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:29 PM   #4

I will try to get some in car audio this week and will post. But believe me it is a HUGE improvement . Even for me the sound/resonance/drone was too much and I think I have a fairly high tolerance for pain . Any exhaust system is a compromise of sound and performance . And obviously is very subjective . But I really believe I have found the perfect sound for me .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
Old 09-25-2016, 04:21 PM   #5
Ben-Auto-Design

I've red something about those baffle a while ago and they where saying the same, so I believe it makes a difference!
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
1982 928 S Euro
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:21 PM   #6

Great sound and the wife is happy! Doesn't get any better then that.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:43 PM   #7

It's pretty amazing something as simple as the baffles and end caps can make that much of a difference . The baffle is basically a 7 " long tube with perforations in it. The end caps are basically a large washer with 1/4 " holes around the perimeter. Not sure how it works but it does . I also welded in the " silencing washers " which go into the end of the baffle tube. Think of a washer with a 3/4 " hole in it . It worked perfect and should not change over time, if anything it may get a tad quieter as carbon and exhaust " junk " build up on the baffles and SS packing .
Old 09-27-2016, 08:41 AM   #8

I just posted about my exhaust upgrade. Oddly enough my headers, cat bypass pipes, and sport muffler have less resonance than the factory system with just a sport muffler. Sounds way better too!