View Single Post
Old 09-25-2016, 02:26 PM   #1
rfuerst911sc

the beast- headers , resonators, GHL muffler

As some of you know I'm running a 3.6 Raby short stroke. For exhaust I'm running aftermarket headers , aftermarket resonators in the cat delete pipes and a GHL muffler. The entire system is aprox. 25 pounds lighter than stock which is good . But the unique exhaust pulse of the short stroke motor was causing painfully loud resonance between 2,000 - 3,000 . Last week my wife and I went for a long road trip and the complaints from the passenger seat were loud and clear !
So I could either go back to the OEM boat anchor or try to tone down what I had . The exhaust tips on the GHL are 3 " so I searched the web and found some Car Chemistry exhaust baffles. I purchased the " builders kit " consisting of 3 " ends caps and the proper sized core baffles. I went with 7 " long baffles. I also ordered the stainless steel exhaust packing . So today I welded the baffles to the end caps and packed them with the stainless steel packing. Slid them into place and clamped them with Vise Grips. Drilled one hole in each and installed a steel rivet . As I lowered the car off the lift I was thinking what if this doesn't work ? With the car on the ground I grabbed the keys and fired her up..........wow sounds pretty good ! Took her for a 10 mile drive and I could not believe how the car had been transformed, I would say 99 % of the resonance/drone is gone but she still sounds like a beast when you get on it . Yeah I may be giving up a few hp but the sound is damn near perfect ! I am very , very happy .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote