Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2016, 12:24 PM   #1

Advice - Garage Queen Boxster - Keep or Sell

Hi:

I have a 2000 Boxster with 25,000 miles. I am the original owner and has been my third car for all of these years. Garage kept, never driven in the rain, etc. etc.

Well, my situation has changed, and I sold my daily driver. I need to operate with just one car.

I'm trying to decide if I should just turn my Boxster into a daily driver or sell it. I am in Northern Virginia, and would need to get winter tires, etc.

If I were to sell it, how much do you all think it would be worth.

I wanted to see everyone's advice about this. Thanks in advance for your help.

DashboardDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:09 AM   #2
MWS

Probably like so many reading this post I am hesitant to give any advice as there are just too many factors and, well, I'm not you. Could it be a DD? Sure, it's a car, but being a queen, there might be lots of maintenance that should be done before you go this route and it's entirely possible that you could pick up a cheap DD for the cost of such work.

If it were me, I guess I would use the car as a short term DD, but would prefer to just keep as my toy; then again, I am not you, and do not know your situation.

As far as selling the car I would say that you should give thought to your emotional attachment (16 years, first owner, etc.) and what price you would put on the loss. For me, selling a car is hard...eventually I could see myself putting my car on a plinth (hopefully my wife would stop me) just as a momento of time past...kind of like how people nail license plates to their garage walls as souvineers of yesteryear.

As far as selling, just remember that it's subjective and with cars like this, there is no real set in stone value. Bottom line is that you might find someone (a Porsche nut) who is willing to pay $20,000+ for a mint car (although it might take a while) or you could dump it quick by putting at the end of your drive for $5000. I would say that all things considered, you already know the value of your car (in your heart and head), you just need to decide if you can wait for the right person.

You have some thinking to do. When faced with choices like this, I sometimes try to imagine my future self and try to gauge how I would look back at the decision I made.

Best wishes.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:20 AM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
The Boxster is probably worth $10-$12k (more info needed), assuming no issues.
It's also not the ideal daily driver, especially in winter. Sell it and get something practical until your situation changes.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:43 AM   #4
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Depends on some factors. Do you need more than a 2-seater?...eg. Do you have a family to truck around or for grocery hauling? Is your daily commute long? If it's short, maybe you can just get by with winter tires in the snowy season. Your car will not fetch much today. Might be more practical to just get a fun daily that has more space and is good in the snow.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:28 AM   #5

Garage
Well your the original owner so you know the car
It's paid for
Assuming its worth $10k - $12k, you could get a lot of piratical used cars for those $$ but not many with less than 25k miles
Fun factor also isn't there for any of them like the Boxster

A set of winter tires and you could be good to go

A lot depends on what kind of carry space you need.

For me most of my daily driving was just transporting me, so my theory was get a car I looked forward to driving
Old 09-30-2016, 12:26 PM   #6
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Keep it...

...use it up.

What would you have to spend to buy another car to replace it?

Call up the Tire Rack and buy some snow tires and wheels and start enjoying the Boxster life.

Just drive her.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:49 PM   #7

The season is about to end for convertibles. Sell it fast to someone who will USE it !
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:56 PM   #8

I lived in Oakton. Commuted around 10 miles to Herndon. Drove a Boxster 90% of the days. At the same time, I had a job I could skip if I wanted to and a 4WD car I could get into if I needed to and my wife had her car.

I think if I had snow tires for the Boxster or even all-seasons, I could have driven it all but 2 days a year most winters. And those were days when no one was moving. (I lived in a cul-de-sac where I used my snow blower to clear a path for the whole neighborhood to the main street which was cleared only because a local politician lived on that route.)

But by all means do get those tires and wheels. There is one less Boxster running around because I didn't for my first Boxster.

What better car could you get for the maybe $10k yours is worth? OTOH, it is a 16 year old car with low miles neither of which is great for reliability.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:38 PM   #9

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for your thoughtful suggestions... much to ponder.

All the best to you.
DashboardDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:18 PM   #10
Known Gearhead

Garage
Hello, Dave.

My Boxster is my DD. I borrow my daughter's van if I have to haul big stuff, and that's the rub. If you don't have easy access to some other, larger vehicle, you'll probably find the Boxster won't cover 100% of your transport needs. Then again, you can always rent a pickup or van when needed if you don't mind the extra time and effort involved.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 09-30-2016, 02:34 PM   #11

Put it up and see the response. Can't hurt to know the demand

By the way I'm in the market
mfm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:48 PM   #12

We don't have as much snow in Richmond as you do in Northern VA, and the traffic congestion wouldn't be considered congestion by your standards.

I use two cars - my Boxster and a 1996 G20. The 986 has 110k on it. I've considered selling the G20 and using the proceeds for a set of wheels and snow tires. It would simplify my life to reduce my fleet. I have a hardtop for the winter and we can use my wife's Highlander for shopping.

I will probably want another Porsche in 5 years, so selling the Boxster with 160k on it versus 200k (if it gets that far) won't make a significant difference.

I vote for driving it.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:17 PM   #13
Certified Boxster Addict

Owning a Porsche and not driving it is like being married to a supermodel and hardly ever... well, you get the idea. All I can say is that the next guy is going to have the fun that you never had.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 09-30-2016 at 08:21 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:42 PM   #14
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashboardDave View Post
I'm trying to decide if I should just turn my Boxster into a daily driver or sell it. I am in Northern Virginia, and would need to get winter tires, etc...
Many people use them as daily drivers. Many people drive them in winter. You know Your car. Do you want to drive it like that? Will it meet your needs for seating/cargo/maintenance cost/reliability? You have babied it. Will you be comfortable exposing it to all weather and road conditions, piling on the miles?

Quote:
If I were to sell it, how much do you all think it would be worth.
I concur with particlewave, $10k - $12k ...and depending on local market it could be a slow sale.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:46 AM   #15

Dave, all great advice from these Boxster owners. It's a tough decision. Just in case
You want winter tires and wheels, I have a whole set of wheels and almost new tires ready To be installed. Just PM me if interested. BTW, I'm also from NoVA.

Last edited by BobbyX; 10-01-2016 at 03:49 AM.
BobbyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 12:43 PM   #16

Keep It!
MARTHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:08 PM   #17

drive it as a daily then decide
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:59 PM   #18

My 03 S is a daily driver and at 108K. Put some Continental DWS06 tires on her and you should be good to go.

SteelStroke is offline   Reply With Quote