Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2016, 05:21 PM   #1

Is it clutch chatter?

Since I had to replace the engine on my 2000 2.7l I also bought a new flywheel because the old was bad and had a lot of play in it.

Since then I seem to have a bit of vibration around 2500rpms and even at other revs like 2000 and less. I can only feel this vibration under my foot when it's on the gas and especially when I lift off. It's accompanied by a light sound coming from the engine/transmission. I believe this is clutch "buzz" or "chatter", I used to have this in my Honda S2000. I don't recall having this before replacing the engine and flywheel.

Does that sound right? Will it settle after some time of the clutch and flywheel working together?

Is ther any risk of damage?

I'm fairly sure it's no biggie but I'd like to hear some opinions.

Car drives great.

Thanks,

Cristian

CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:16 PM   #2

Suggest you check the mounts for the engine & for the transmission.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:26 PM   #3

Hello Christian,

i would go with Gelbster's advice.

Another possibility could be a drivetrain / exhaust part that contacts the chassis when you go off the gas pedal. That means the front of the drive train moves down and the rear including exhaust system moves up.

A working DMF doesn't generate vibration. It reduces vibration. Please take a look: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_mass_flywheel

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:14 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies guys! I don't think it would be the engine mount because I replaced it when I bought the car 20k miles ago and I know they last longer than that. Also, I recently replaced my engine and my mechanic would have noticed a busted mount.

As for the transmission mounts he replaced the ones on the car with a set of used ones because mine were completely gone but weird enough the old ones didn't generate any vibration as far as I can remember.

I'm still gonna check both of them when I get a chance, is there a specific way of checking if these items are bad?

Thanks,

Cristian
Old 09-24-2016, 11:15 AM   #5

I'll also check for clearances in case anything is touching the chassis
Old 01-04-2017, 10:51 AM   #6

hi guys,

updated on what ive done so far to fix this very slight vibration:
- replacing transmission mounts did nothing, vibration is still there
- flushed out transmission fluid (5 sp manual) and filled with Porsche good/expensive stuff. didnt help
- i checked around for anything loose like heat shields or exhaust but nothing seems to be out of place

the vibration i am getting is fairly subtle and it happens in any gear when i hit 36MPH up to 39MPH and i feel it the most when i'm only slightly on the gas. if i press harder i guess with more torque everything shifts and i dont feel it anymore. i can feel it a bit under my foot on the gas (how come? since it's drive by wire for my 2000 model. maybe it comes through the floor since the chassis is tight and transmits vibration?) and i noticed when i steer left and right like doing a slalom i can feel the vibration at those speeds mentioned above.

my next and final suspect would be the engine mount which i will do in the near future.
anybody have any other opinion or suggestion?

thanks,

Cristian
Old 01-04-2017, 10:58 AM   #7

Vibration

Check your wheels and brake rotors, check your CV's too
brybart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:30 AM   #8

replaced the engine mount bushing with a new one and while the vibration has been reduced and i can barely feel it anymore it's still there at around 36mph in any gear, any rpm. the new mount is nice though.. everything is night and tight now.

brakes are fine, just replaced the front rotors and pads this weekend (wooo hooo!! new brakes are AWESOME!!) and i also checked CV axles. no play in them except for the movement left to right between the wheel and the transmission but i assume that is completely normal.

i'm running out of ideas guys.

this is coming from the back somehow.. could it be my rear tires that are on their way out? they are pretty much worn down to the legal limit but i was gonna ride on them for a while longer, the wear is very even and it doesnt really rain too much this season here in FL so i feel safe enough.

maybe the wheels need to be balanced/road force tested?
Old 01-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #9

It can't be clutch chatter because that only happens when you slip the clutch. What you have is the classic buzz that no one seems to have figured out. It happens around 3_3.5 I rpm. When you lift off the gas as you go through the rpm around 3k you get a buzz/shake. If you crack the gas open it goes away. Many theories but no definitive cure.

Search and you will find many posts on the subject.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:44 PM   #10

Check your exhaust brackets
brybart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:36 PM   #11

Oddly when I removed my OEM exhaust there were no nuts on the two bolts that hold it at the top..
I think that may have caused some rattling for me. I had recently had the ims done and wonder if the shop just forgot to put those nuts back on, the muffler will.stay on without them and it is held at the bottom.too, but is a good way for some vibration.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 01:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue View Post
it's still there at around 36mph in any gear, any rpm.
If the vibration is speed related and not engine / transmission revs related, then it has to be caused by a wheel / driveshaft rotational problem. Changing engine mounts, clutch flywheel or muffler brackets won't help....

I would hazard a guess its your worn tyres - as a quick (free) trial, swap the rear wheels to the front and vice versa. I know the wheel sizes a different, but it may give you a clue to the problem, especially of you can feel the vibration through the steering wheel instead of the seat of your pants.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:47 PM   #13

these are all good points thanks guys!
i'll stay on it and report back.

cheers,

Cristian
Old 05-05-2017, 02:43 PM   #14

so the vibration I was chasing for a few months was because of the front tires.. ugh!! I just got some new shoes on the front and no more vibration at 36mph.

case closed!

cheers,

Cristian
Old 05-05-2017, 04:40 PM   #15
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Good for you. Must feel great to finally resolve a nagging issue.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:01 PM   #16
Certified Boxster Addict

Good to hear that you finally found the fix!

And thanks for posting the final solution - the next person who searches the same problem will be glad to find the steps that you took along with the final solution!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:20 AM   #17

Yeah it sucks when you find a thread with the exact same issue and it ends abruptly with no final resolution. Gotta give back to the community