Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2016, 04:04 PM   #1

Garage
So this happened, FML!

:ah:

Old 09-02-2016, 04:44 PM   #2

Wow - that looks like a mounting boss for a transmission mount. More info, please? Specifically, what modification(s) do you have which could have been a factor? (What aftermarket exhaust components, motor/trans mounts, etc., do you have?)

Maybe it's time to locate, and swap in, a good used transmission. I recently saw a very clean looking, supposedly good 5-speed being offered locally to me, I think for only $150!

I've tackled some projects like this that customers brought me to TIG weld repair (back when so was doing that), and usually even pulled them off successfully, but they are very challenging, and also somewhat risky. This would be *very* challenging to repair satisfactorily, without disassembly.

Regardless of how you fix this broken bracket, I'd recommend making an effort to figure out what the root cause was, and make sure to get that addressed, so the problem won't recur. Best of luck!

Last edited by jakeru; 09-02-2016 at 04:48 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:01 PM   #3

Garage
Well my opinion. Green Locktite doesn't work for ****************. Axle Shaft came loose from the flange off the transmission and the driveshaft pounded the transmission away to brake the weakest bracket on the Transmission. The others are like half an inch thick or thicker. This one is thin web. The axle shaft has come loose numerous times since I put it all back together. Ive cleaned the threads and used green locktite and this one keeps coming loose. Passenger side is fine. No mods except a 6 puck and headers, Stock catback. And I wasn't beating on it, just left a light. Must have been threaded out again and finally popped off while driving and the axle just slammed the mount.

As for welding, its doubtful if it can be welded well enough to hold down any mild torque. So we're going to develop a stiffening Bracket Mount to replace the factory mounts.

This should replace both mounts and bolt to the suspension "K Member" and half of the gearbox bolts. Which should also provide chassis stiffening.
Attached Images

Last edited by DarkStar; 09-02-2016 at 05:04 PM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:34 PM   #4

Josh,
Sorry to read of this problem.
Was this something that happened after your 6 speed rebuild ?
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:11 PM   #5

I had a 6 speed that was broke just like yours. I had it tig welded back on and I sold it to a friend who now races with it. As far as I know he hasn't had any problems.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:49 PM   #6

Hello,

did you use the torque specs for the 5-speed M8 (39 Nm) or the torque specs for the 6 speed M10 (81 Nm) to torque the drive shaft? Makes a big difference.

If you have used the 5-speed torque for the 6-speed, don't blame the green Loctite.

Regards, Markus

Last edited by Smallblock454; 09-03-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:09 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I had a 6 speed that was broke just like yours. I had it tig welded back on and I sold it to a friend who now races with it. As far as I know he hasn't had any problems.
The guy that has the car told me it would probably not hold the torque so that's why I was developing that brace mount.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-2016, 09:05 AM   #8

Once I tried finding some locally sourced cv joint bolts (for my 5-speed, after realizing after tearing into a suspension servicing project that some of the original ones that came with the car were buggared up by the previous mechanic) and the best I could locally source were a lower grade steel, in stock at a local independent auto mechanic. Those lower grade steel cv bolts (I think they may have been grade 10.9) could not take the full Porsche torque specs before yielding. New ones of the proper grade (12.9 grade, for the 5-speed bolts) could take the full torque, so these things really do get torqued right up to their yield point, and that's also probably why Porsche recommends replacing them with new each time. With proper torque, you won't need to use thread locking compound. Really sorry to hear about this issue; best of luck fixing!
Old 09-03-2016, 11:58 AM   #9

I guess a brace couldn't hurt if you have the room. I had the trans out of the car and took it to a local fabrication shop but he could have welded it still on the car. Here's the boxster the trans is in.

The video is him on a test track but he really puts the car through more than anything you'll probably see. His car is the most tricked out race boxster that I know of. He's been running it for two years now and the tab hasn't broke yet.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #10

Garage
Well the brace would only take up the space of the shield. It would pretty much replace the transmission mounts

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-2016, 06:28 PM   #11
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I guess a brace couldn't hurt if you have the room. I had the trans out of the car and took it to a local fabrication shop but he could have welded it still on the car. Here's the boxster the trans is in.

The video is him on a test track but he really puts the car through more than anything you'll probably see. His car is the most tricked out race boxster that I know of. He's been running it for two years now and the tab hasn't broke yet.
Very cool car and great video!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:11 PM   #12

Garage
Here's one half of the brace. The next part will pinch and bolt to this brace and will be mounted between both control arm frames for suspension stiffening.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:05 AM   #13

Christ! That's mental, didn't even know that could happen... hope you get it sorted bud.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:06 AM   #14
B6T

As OP stated, the driveshaft came loose while driving and smashed the mounting boss off. Nothing caused by power output. You can't design for those sorts of things.

B6T is offline   Reply With Quote