Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2016, 10:58 AM   #21
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Class action lawsuit over an interior that they chose? Ugh...

Martha: I assume you test drove it first? Like others have said, polarized shades will fix you up.
FWIW, I get some pretty bad glare with the top down and my interior is black. Sunglasses fix that.

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:08 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Martha,

I have the same Savannah Beige interior on my white car and really like the look of it and in the middle of the summer, you will appreciate that this interior does not get as hhot as a dark color interior.

The reflections..? I guess that by now I am use to them, and does not bother me any more, but you may want to change a bit the angle or height of the seat to see if helps.

What is the color of your car?
Yes I love the color of the interior and appreciate its not as hot as darker colors.

I have changed the seat height adjustment (up) and that does help some. But I'm old and obese so I have to have the seat in its lowest position so I can get into and out of the car. I'd sure hate having to readjust the seat every time I get into and out of the car.

I think my exterior color is Midnight Blue.

MARTHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:37 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Class action lawsuit over an interior that they chose? Ugh...

Martha: I assume you test drove it first? Like others have said, polarized shades will fix you up.
FWIW, I get some pretty bad glare with the top down and my interior is black. Sunglasses fix that.
Well, I'm against class action lawsuits as much as the next guy, I have never had a lawsuit and I can't foresee ever having one, and as I personally would never participate in a lawsuit over windshield reflection I think they may have a case, I can see how it would make the car undriveable for some folks. Can you imagine purchasing a expensive brand new car you can't drive. As I've said the reflection in my car is really really bad. In fact when I was reading about the reflection case I read the judge refused to throw the case out because he said the owner of beige dashboards have a bonafide lawsuit. I'm not taking sides I'm just posting what I've read on the internet.

Yes I did drive it first, its a 10 year old car and I would have been remiss if I had not taken its condition very seriously. I have driven it several times since, but only when I took it for a 6 hour drive did I realize how bad the reflection is.

I'm happy with my car, I'm not going to allow this issue to ruin the joy I have found in my car, but had I know of there being a reflection issue I would have looked for a black dash.

I've never worn sunglasses. When I grew up many moon ago it wasn't popular to wear sunglasses. I'm going to give sunglasses a try first time the sun pops out. It's been raining today but I'm anxious to see how much sun glasses help the issue.

Last edited by MARTHA; 08-23-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:00 PM   #24

Also I read somewhere that Porsche had used the “didn’t you drive it first” defense, and the purchaser said he had driven a new 2015 car just like the one he purchased, but the car they give him to try out had a black dash. His point was Porsche knew of the problem for years before he purchased his car and they didn’t inform him of the issue. He couldn’t make an informed decision of an issue he had no knowledge of. And they may have hid the issue giving him a driver with a black dash.

I have no dog in this fight, I don't care about a lawsuit one way or another, its not going to affect me, my reason for posting about a lawsuit was my trying to say looky here, there are others having the same issue with windshield reflection.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:05 PM   #25
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Yeah, I don't buy it. To many entitled people want to blame others for their own bad choices (speaking of the lawsuit, not lumping you in there). Regarding Porsche beige interiors causing reflections, this applies to any make of vehicle with a light interior, not just Porsche. No one else is getting sued over it (that I'm aware of ).

If you're not into shades, you can get clear or even color tinted polarized driving glasses.

I like this look

Last edited by particlewave; 08-23-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:13 PM   #26

Smile

Quote:
Yeah, I don't buy it. To many entitled people want to blame others for their own bad choices (speaking of the lawsuit, not lumping you in there).

If you're not into shades, you can get clear or even color tinted polarized driving glasses.
I've nothing against sun glasses just for some reason I've never worn them, this is a good excuse to buy a pair (or two). LoL

Thanks for your help!

Old 08-23-2016, 12:17 PM   #27

Quote:

I like this look

Love the Image!!!

Old 08-23-2016, 01:15 PM   #28

PM sent. I might have something to help
Old 08-23-2016, 01:21 PM   #29

Use polarized sunglasses.

I had a used 986 with a light gray dash. It was terrible (not as bad as tan.)

Had a good upholsterer dye the top half of the dash a 'Satin' black. Huge difference.
Tcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:34 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcar View Post
Use polarized sunglasses.

I had a used 986 with a light gray dash. It was terrible (not as bad as tan.)

Had a good upholsterer dye the top half of the dash a 'Satin' black. Huge difference.
I was wondering if maybe I could dye the top of the dash black, but I'm scared I will mess it up.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:29 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcar View Post
Tcar, could you please post a couple of pictures of your two tone dash? It sounds like a neat idea!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:22 AM   #32

. . . . . . .

The sun is shining bright today, I have my sunglasses on and I’m going for a drive to see if they defeat the reflections.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:41 AM   #33

Any light colored dash is going to cause reflections on the glass in every car on the road today.

Black dashes are probably the least reflective.

The solution is to remove the glass on that Lawsuit plaintiffs car, once again reaffirming that a hammer is the solution to all problems.

Personally I chose to act like an intelligent human being that has evolved past the caring of his mothers bossom, and bought some polarized sunglasses, but alas, now its hard to see the climate control readings due to the polarization.

As one acquires wisdom it becomes very apparent that all solutions are a compromise of some form or another.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:05 PM   #34
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTHA View Post
. . . . . . .

The sun is shining bright today, I have my sunglasses on and I’m going for a drive to see if they defeat the reflections.

Love 'em, haha!
Old 08-24-2016, 12:28 PM   #35
Yeast Rancher

I have a beige dash and never noticed a reflection, but I always wear Costas
Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:06 PM   #36

Martha, I have a gray dash...FWIW, I'm 6'3 and and at normal driving/seating position, I see the speakers reflecting more than the dash. If I raise the seat back to more of a vertical position, I see more of the dash...If I lower the seat back/recline, I see much less of anything. Perhaps you can tinker with your seat position to find the least distracting position.
ArizonaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:03 PM   #37

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I drove it today while wearing sunglasses and the reflective image is still there just as bad as I remember. However while the image is still there it doesn’t seem as scintillating or gleaming when I’m wearing sun glasses. I don’t know how to explain it, its just easier on the eyes somehow. Sunglasses definitely helped.

ArizonaDan… I have tried different seat positions and some are less distracting than other, however I am obese and I am limited on how much I can change the seating positions. As Dan said I mostly see the vents and speakers and the rest of the dash not so much. If I cannot find a manufactured cover I may make one of my own design, I think it needing to be less than half as wide (front to back) as the ones I’ve seen online.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:04 PM   #38

great....

...great.... NOW .....I will notice dash glare.......thanks
alanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:10 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanp View Post
...great.... NOW .....I will notice dash glare.......thanks

I believe there is some truth to what you are saying. Is it that I've noticed the glare and now I can't stop looking at it. LoL

Old 08-24-2016, 04:15 PM   #40

polarized sunglasses eliminates the problem completely for me. FWIW I am finding the glare from other vehicles at night wanting me to wear driving glasses at night. Part of getting older?

nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote