Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2016, 07:00 AM   #1

Worth a read

Hi Guys
I loved reading this, its to the point, quite honest and makes me feel good about owning my 986.

I love my speed yellow and blue one but that guards red and black is still a good looking combo

I knew I was right about keeping my amber lights lol

How to Buy a Fabulous Porsche for Just £3,000 | Lifehacker UK

Peter

YellowS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:24 AM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Sums it up nicely. Thanks for the post. People on the forum know. You really need to be able to do some of the rudimentary maintenance and repairs yourself to mitigate the expenses of owning an older sports car.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:53 AM   #3

I don't want the general public to know that boxsters are that cheap, the price will go up!
Mauiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:04 AM   #4

This is an example of why they aren't "collectors" car and won't likely be in our lifetimes. They shouldn't be garage queens and kept stock. Mod them how you like. Drive them. Enjoy them.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
This is an example of why they aren't "collectors" car and won't likely be in our lifetimes. They shouldn't be garage queens and kept stock. Mod them how you like. Drive them. Enjoy them.

great read and truly such a fun car to drive!
glenf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:11 PM   #6
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Fair and honest read. My only nit as a 986.2 owner are the subjective criticism of the face lift looks. I prefer the looks, especially shape of the 4 bow top, the minor front and rear bumper changes, and the color matching steering wheel. The glass rear window and glove box were big advances in practically and function, and definitely factored into my decision vs the original gen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:14 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

A very fair minded summary!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grc0456 View Post
My only nit as a 986.2 owner are the subjective criticism of the face lift looks. I prefer the looks, especially shape of the 4 bow top, the minor front and rear bumper changes, and the color matching steering wheel. The glass rear window and glove box were big advances in practically and function, and definitely factored into my decision vs the original gen.
I'm with you.

I retrofitted an 04 top and frame on my 00 and the glass rear window and headliner make the car more usable. The plastic rear window cheapened the car. A glove box would be nice as well, but I don't think that is a simple swap. I have a black interior so I had a color-matched steering wheel from the start.

I also "de-ambered my car and l would not go back to the amber indicators.

Part of the fun of owning an old car is being able to modify it. I've added a lots of bits and pieces over the years and each one makes the car feel new to me. http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/55759-de-changed-some-interior-items.html

If I had a concours car I doubt I would do that or drive it as often as I do the Boxster.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 03:39 PM   #9

I wish I knew where all these cheap boxsters were. At around 3k pounds that would be about $4500. Maybe a bit less now after Brexit. Can't find really any for double that in my area (Mass / New England area). Most are over $10k and not necessarily nice ones either.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:46 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myoung73 View Post
I wish I knew where all these cheap boxsters were. At around 3k pounds that would be about $4500. Maybe a bit less now after Brexit. Can't find really any for double that in my area (Mass / New England area). Most are over $10k and not necessarily nice ones either.
Here is one for you
2000 Porsche

It needs some love.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:38 PM   #11
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
I'm with you.

I retrofitted an 04 top and frame on my 00 and the glass rear window and headliner make the car more usable. The plastic rear window cheapened the car. A glove box would be nice as well, but I don't think that is a simple swap. I have a black interior so I had a color-matched steering wheel from the start.

I also "de-ambered my car and l would not go back to the amber indicators.

Part of the fun of owning an old car is being able to modify it. I've added a lots of bits and pieces over the years and each one makes the car feel new to me. http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/55759-de-changed-some-interior-items.html

If I had a concours car I doubt I would do that or drive it as often as I do the Boxster.

Love all your mods, Kevin. They are to my taste. That is a sharp Box!

Old 08-06-2016, 04:49 PM   #12
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:

Myoung, I agree $4,500 is a hard to find price point (except maybe on CL). But there is a decent looking 03 Base (looks like my car except for interior) on Car Gurus in Atkinson, NH - asking $7,990 - 101k miles, 5 speed. Get a PPI, talk them down based on results, put a few K into it. Bingo.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:37 AM   #13

Quote:
I've seen amazing deals on old open top sports cars in the U.K. In the U.S. convertibles are considerably cheaper out West and down South. In the Northeast there are less to choose from and prices tend to run 20% higher. The price differential grows with age and is inversely proportional to the price. In other words, a 20 year old Porsche Boxster will cost more in New England than it does in California or Alabama. The winters are rough on them and thin the herd further. If you are willing to road trip, you can combine a mini vacation with a car buying trip. You can also get better deals at the end of the convertible season...i.e. October or November.

Last edited by Disaster; 08-07-2016 at 02:40 AM.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:54 AM   #14

Quote:
You just have to look, I bought mine a few months ago for $2500, it has 64k miles on it. The top did not work due to a broken arm ($60 from dealer for the part, took 10 minutes to fix it, owner was quoted something outrageous for the fix hence why she offed it) and it has a little ding and scratch on the right rear bottom. It came with a hard top (sold that for $800 so it is now a $1760 car) also came with a second set of BBS wheels which I might sell to make it a sub $1500 car. Needs nothing mechanically, new brakes last year (it was serviced it at my buddy's shop as he maintains all of this person's cars)
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Fair and honest read. My only nit as a 986.2 owner are the subjective criticism of the face lift looks. I prefer the looks, especially shape of the 4 bow top, the minor front and rear bumper changes, and the color matching steering wheel. The glass rear window and glove box were big advances in practically and function, and definitely factored into my decision vs the original gen.

Doesnt matter what one you have, really they are all great aren't they, Who wouldn't have any nice well kept boxster no matter of engine size/colour & plastic rear screen than a ford focus?

Peter
Old 08-08-2016, 12:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
I agree about using them as intended as that what you will remember most about the car.

I have to disagree about them not becoming collectable. When I was 18 years old (28 years ago) I had a Mk1 Ford Fiesta XR2 (a very mass produced car here in the UK) which I paid £2500 for when it was 4 years old, now mint ones are changing hands for over £10,000 here in the UK (US reader google them, still a nice looking car now)

In my eyes its mass produced cars that make the best classics as its these cars that people remember and relate too, probably because they owned one / always wanted one or knew someone that did.

I go to many car shows and ye it nice to see Million pound Ferrs and Lambos but its nicer for me to see cars I owned as a younger man or cars my dad owned.

I think you have to be of a certain age to get where I'm coming from on this.

Does anyone agree

Last edited by YellowS2000; 08-08-2016 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:54 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowS2000 View Post
I agree about using them as intended as that what you will remember most about the car.

I have to disagree about them not becoming collectable. When I was 18 years old (28 years ago) I had a Mk1 Ford Fiesta XR2 (a very mass produced car here in the UK) which I paid £2500 for when it was 4 years old, now mint ones are changing hands for over £10,000 here in the UK (US reader google them, still a nice looking car now)

In my eyes its mass produced cars that make the best classics as its these cars that people remember and relate too, probably because they owned one / always wanted one or knew someone that did.

I go to many car shows and ye it nice to see Million pound Ferrs and Lambos but its nicer for me to see cars I owned as a younger man or cars my dad owned.

I think you have to be of a certain age to get where I'm coming from on this.

Does anyone agree
I agree All you have to do is look at all of the mass produced cars of the 60's and 70's. There are a lot of people who want the cars that they saw but couldn't afford in their youth. The Ford Mustang is very popular and was obviously mass produced. You are not going to fund your retirement with a 986 but it should increase a little as time goes on.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
I agree All you have to do is look at all of the mass produced cars of the 60's and 70's. There are a lot of people who want the cars that they saw but couldn't afford in their youth. The Ford Mustang is very popular and was obviously mass produced. You are not going to fund your retirement with a 986 but it should increase a little as time goes on.
Id be happy for it just not to explode if I'm honest lol.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:11 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Here is one for you
2000 Porsche

It needs some love.
Right but this one is in Texas. Agree though that with some $ put in (not too much) it could be pretty decent...
Old 08-08-2016, 10:23 AM   #20

Quote:
Myoung, I agree $4,500 is a hard to find price point (except maybe on CL). But there is a decent looking 03 Base (looks like my car except for interior) on Car Gurus in Atkinson, NH - asking $7,990 - 101k miles, 5 speed. Get a PPI, talk them down based on results, put a few K into it. Bingo.

This one actually looks decent, but no pics of the interior that's weird. Like the color and wheels though.