Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2016, 11:04 AM   #1

Garage
What is this bolt for?

Playing around today, trying to figure out why my top keeps snapping pushrods I noticed the bolt above the tension rope was loose. Very loose. The other side too.

Any ideas what it does? It seems to attach the base for the tension rope, but I can't be sure.

CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:20 AM   #2

that adjusts the tension in the cable it attaches to so that the top material is stretched well. you dont want too much slack in the cables on both sides but dont think it's a good idea to have it extremely tight either because it could put pressure on the top frame and fabric.

get them adjusted but i dont think that's what makes your top snap the pushrods.
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:24 AM   #3

the way i adjust them is i make sure there is enough tension in the cables so that when i want to pop them out of the lower ball (the one next to the bolt) i actually have to push down a bit on the back end of the top frame edge so it gives some slack in the cables making them easy to pop out.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:53 AM   #4

Garage
I was thinking tension rope was just a name and not that they actually applied tension. I swear my brain is in off mode whenever I leave work. (My boss probably says the opposite is true.)

Thanks.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue View Post
that adjusts the tension in the cable it attaches to so that the top material is stretched well. you dont want too much slack in the cables on both sides but dont think it's a good idea to have it extremely tight either because it could put pressure on the top frame and fabric.

get them adjusted but i dont think that's what makes your top snap the pushrods.
Yes. These only affect the tension when the top is up. Don't want them too tight.

I agree they aren't why the pivots are snapping. Check the synchronization between the motors. One might be closing further and applying more tension. Also make sure nothing is interfering with the clamshell coming down.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:16 AM   #6

+1 on the transmissions not being synchronized, they do that sometimes.

there's a good write up on Pelican on how to get them back in sync, that's how i fixed my top. dont use the drill method to turn one of the sides, instead simply snap the little clip on the motor and pull out the transmission cable on each side accordingly to move one while the other stays in place. some people ruined the thread on the cable with the drill.

also make sure your rods are not bent at all and are the correct length, they have some adjustment to them.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue View Post
+1 on the transmissions not being synchronized, they do that sometimes.

there's a good write up on Pelican on how to get them back in sync, that's how i fixed my top. dont use the drill method to turn one of the sides, instead simply snap the little clip on the motor and pull out the transmission cable on each side accordingly to move one while the other stays in place. some people ruined the thread on the cable with the drill.

also make sure your rods are not bent at all and are the correct length, they have some adjustment to them.
Good additional advice. The bushings in the arms on mine had elongated and there was a lot of slop on one side which caused binding when one side got behind (even with the motors synched.) Also grease the tracks so it slides more smoothly. That will lower the load the pivots see.

Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote