Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2016, 01:19 PM   #1

Clutch

Hi everyone,

I have been a member for few months now and have read numerous good articles just haven't really been able to be more active as much as I would like to, I have a few questions I was hoping I can get some advice from someone who's had a longer experience with Boxsters.

I have a 2003 base model with little over 46K miles on it, and just noticed some vibration, and little chipper maybe 2 out of 10 times when letting of the clutch in first gear, the pedal vibrates through all gears slightly when driving but happens like I said maybe 2 out of 10 times. How bad is my clutch gone, and should I replace it asap? This is my first manual car I bought it back in 2014 with 27K miles on it. Would it also be a good thing to replace the IMS bearing, I cant tell any signs of it going bad I've had a friend also look the car over when I replaced my water pump and he's told me not to worry as he's been there for 7 years now and hasn't seen a failed IMS bearing yet (he's a mechanic at a local Porsche dealer), I was actually told this by two different mechanics at different Porsche dealers.

Thank you.

ToshoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:55 PM   #2

Welcome.
Your car may or may not need a clutch. There are a couple of things to consider as far a clutch 'feel' and vibration is concerned. Where is your friction point when you let the clutch out....low to the floor or middle to higher point of pedal travel.

1. The Boxster motor mount is notorious for various symptoms such as smooth shifting and engine vibration, especially around ~3K rpm. Given your year and mileage, I would be willing to bet that your mount needs to be replace (if original). Luckliy, motor mount R/R is not nearly as bad a job as it looks....figure 60-90 minutes.
2. When was the clutch hydraulic fluid last replaced? This should be a 2 year maintenance item, along with flushing brakes. If you are unaware of the date of the last change, I'd suggest knocking this out and seeing if you have any improvements.
3. Personal opinion, yes, I would do the IMS and RMS if I was doing a clutch R/R. I have not done this on my car (at 130K miles) but will at some point. IMS replacement will offer piece of mind as well as being a plus when (if) you decide to sell your car at some point.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:09 PM   #3

Thank you I appreciate your advice,

But it is mostly lower to middle travel of the pedal when I feel it and then it disappears closer to top and its gone, To be honest I am not sure when the clutch hydraulic fluid was changed, I did however do brake flush last August. I also looked into similar issues like mine and as you mentioned it being motor mount, it seems mostly everyone points to the same motor mount being bad with same vibration like I am experiencing. Again I appreciate your advice and this definitely helps to look into the smaller picture before jump onto the bigger one. I will definitely get on this and see if it improves or hopefully takes care of the problem.

That's what I have been thinking with IMS bearing my plan was to replace it when replacing the clutch to save on labor cost, even thought the engine runs silky smooth, I've read stories where owners had IMS bearing fail without any warning signs, I'd rather get it done and not think about it, then have this though of IMS bearing failure stuck in my head.

Thank you again,
This forum is great, I am not completely clueless about car mechanics I know a fair amount, but on the other hand I've been fortunate enough to rarely have any issues with vehicles I owned that I never had to dig into stuff much haha.

Last edited by ToshoM; 07-05-2016 at 02:13 PM.
ToshoM is offline   Reply With Quote