Thread: Clutch
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2016, 01:55 PM   #2
dghii

Welcome.
Your car may or may not need a clutch. There are a couple of things to consider as far a clutch 'feel' and vibration is concerned. Where is your friction point when you let the clutch out....low to the floor or middle to higher point of pedal travel.

1. The Boxster motor mount is notorious for various symptoms such as smooth shifting and engine vibration, especially around ~3K rpm. Given your year and mileage, I would be willing to bet that your mount needs to be replace (if original). Luckliy, motor mount R/R is not nearly as bad a job as it looks....figure 60-90 minutes.
2. When was the clutch hydraulic fluid last replaced? This should be a 2 year maintenance item, along with flushing brakes. If you are unaware of the date of the last change, I'd suggest knocking this out and seeing if you have any improvements.
3. Personal opinion, yes, I would do the IMS and RMS if I was doing a clutch R/R. I have not done this on my car (at 130K miles) but will at some point. IMS replacement will offer piece of mind as well as being a plus when (if) you decide to sell your car at some point.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote