Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2016, 02:10 PM   #1

Unhappy Air Conditioning gremlins!!

A month ago my A/C was working fine with absolutely no issues. Then one morning I warm the car up, turn on the A/C and nothing happens, no air, no snowflake, compressor does not engage.

1. checked all fuses and relays - working fine
2. checked A/C blower fan, located under the passenger dash, I tested it and its functioning.
3. checked high and low side pressure - normal, no visible leaks

I was going to check the compressor but didn't know how since the A/C button did nothing. However when I removed the Blower Fan the A/C button functioned normally and the Snowflake popped up and compressor engaged. The compressor engages only when the Blower fan is removed obviously no air can move through the vents.

If I unplug the Blower Fan then as a result the A/C button turns on, and the compressor engages. as soon as I plug it back in the compressor shuts off.

DavidG986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:11 PM   #2

Ignition switch is my guess, especially if it randomly starts working again. I bought a 98 back in 2011 that needed some love. One thing PO mentioned was AC blows cold but sometimes doesn't work. It was blowing cold during my test drive and drive home. Next day, no air. FWIW, stereo did the same thing.
$15 later, everything worked great.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:48 PM   #3

Forgot to mention I bought a new ignition switch at AutoZone installed it, no change. Bought a the Duralast LS901.

The fan doesn't function at all, as the fan sits plugged in, it doesn't spin on any setting. When I press the A/C button, the snowflake doesn't show on the LCD and the Compressor fails to engage. BUT if I unplug the A/C Blower and press the A/C the snowflake appears, Compressor Clutch engages, and whats weird is I have to remove the fan in order for the A/C to turn on and work.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:19 PM   #4

I installed a brand new ignition switch yesterday, and it changed nothing.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:08 PM   #5

Ok. Run 12 Vdc directly to the blower assembly and see if it works. Given the fact that everything else goes away with the blower installed, it may be creating a load that makes the rest of the system inoperable.

If the blower works with 12 volts applied directly, I have no idea what you'd do next but given what you've found so far, you need to determine if your blower is good or bad.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:01 PM   #6

I have removed the fan hooked it up to a 9V battery source and the fan started working flawlessly.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:30 AM   #7

Maybe someone has a climate control unit you can swap out to see if that's you issue. Sorry but no other ideas off the top of my head.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:58 AM   #8
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG986 View Post
I have removed the fan hooked it up to a 9V battery source and the fan started working flawlessly.
in that case, it might be the fan resistor.
this is the red cube attached to the AC box, and controls the fan speed.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:24 PM   #9

Ok heres an update on my troubleshooting. I checked high and low side pressure again today and the low side is normal 30psi average and the high side shows no pressure. this is with the car running and A/C on and compressor engaging. any idea why high side pressure is at 0 psi ??
Old 06-22-2016, 04:57 PM   #10
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG986 View Post
Ok heres an update on my troubleshooting. I checked high and low side pressure again today and the low side is normal 30psi average and the high side shows no pressure. this is with the car running and A/C on and compressor engaging. any idea why high side pressure is at 0 psi ??
Hi David.
I sent you a PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:24 PM   #11
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
It sounds like your compressor may be done. No hi side pressure, with the clutch engaged, is bad. Is it making a lot of noise? If you have 30 on the low side, you should also see 30 on the hi side. It is a closed loop.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:31 PM   #12

Ok that 0 psi reading was a fluke. apparently something was obstructing the gauge from properly reading the pressure. sure enough I removed everything reinstalled it and the pressure gauge showed a value of 25-35 psi for the low side & 200 psi on the high side.

Im suspecting the Blower Motor resistor, but wouldn't a bad resistor just allow the fan to blow high on every setting?? How do I test it?
Old 06-22-2016, 08:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
It sounds like your compressor may be done. No hi side pressure, with the clutch engaged, is bad. Is it making a lot of noise? If you have 30 on the low side, you should also see 30 on the hi side. It is a closed loop.
no abnormal noise that I can hear. if the blower fan is plugged in the A/c won't turn on but if I unplugged the blower fan and turn the A/c on, snowflake shows on the LCD screen and the compressor engages. I tested the high and low ports and the PSI values are normal.

Tomorrow I will remove the blower resistor and see what I can find.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:57 PM   #14
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
It sounds like your compressor is okay and that is very good news.

I have zero experience with the blower motor circuit on this car. If you can isolate the blower motor, try to run it with 12 volts directly. Proceed with caution. I understand access to the HVAC system is tight and involved.

I wonder if the dash control unit is acting up. Check with Woody (itsnotanova) for possible used parts.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:48 PM   #15
1999 base

Garage
Hi David.
Did you manage to sort it out?

Tags
a/c blower fan