Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2016, 11:48 AM   #61

i LOVE the long lists!!
Markus is the man!

you guys have been extremely helpful and honestly if i was doing this on my own with no advice i would have went down the wrong path, i almost did.
good or bad an advice is an idea to shake around in your head and in times like these you always need that. as you can see i am always asking

CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:04 PM   #62

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Sorry, you are all fine guys. But CrisZenithBlue asked the question and i tried to answer. If it wasn't helpful i'm sorry.

Maybe i should not write would, must or should next time.

Regards, Markus
Markus, no worries, it's guys like you that the rest of us are thankful for in times like this. Your lists are valuable in these situations, keep the suggestions coming
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:58 PM   #63
Beginner

Garage
Don't break into the AC system. The engine can be removed with the AC compressor remaining in the car.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:57 AM   #64

hi guys,

while the engine is on its way i bought the following parts to go with it:

LN ENGINEERING Intermediate Shaft Bearing Update Kit
GENUINE PORSCHE Crankshaft Seal (Flywheel) 85 X 105 X 11 mm
BERU Spark Plug - Bosch FGR-6-KQE (7413), Beru 14 FGR-6 KQU, NGK BKR6EKUB
GENUINE PORSCHE Spark Plug Tube $
GENUINE PORSCHE Coolant / Antifreeze - Genuine Porsche (1 Gallon)
ARROWHEAD Distilled Water (1 Gallon)
MAHLE Air Filter
WAHLER Thermostat with Cover and Gasket
BEHR HELLA SERVICE Engine Oil Cooler (S VERSION)
VICTOR REINZ O-Ring for Oil Cooler (35 X 4 mm)
VICTOR REINZ O-Ring for Oil Cooler (26 X 3 mm)
ELRING KLINGER Gasket - Exhaust Manifold to Catalytic Converter
ELRING KLINGER Gasket - Exhaust Manifold to Head

I already have:
Oil + Filter
more coolant
Water pump and gasket
accessories belt
brake fluid to do a flush

i will also:
wrap cat bypass pipes in Heatshield armor - Steved0x is hooking me up! what a guy!
Use the AOS from the old engine (has 15.000 miles on it)
Use the MAF from the old engine (brand new)
flush and refil transmission with better fluid
inspect and clean throttle body

Thanks to Markus i've also put together a list of things for my mechanic to check. thanks again Markus!

I am skipping on upgrading the headers for now, i dont have time to do research and i need to save some money somewhere.

i do however want to put a lighter flywheel. Can someone recommend a decent brand? i found this aluminium one on warehouse33 website for 825$!!! holy moly that is expensive!!

https://www.warehouse33auto.com/parts/search/2/2000/1044/21/0/5348/0

is there a better deal out there?
also, would i need a different clutch kit with it? my clutch has 17k miles on it and i'm pretty sure it's going to be good, i dont do dumps or anything that would wear it prematurely.

am i missing anything major on my list?

damn i miss the thing! i've been driving around in a eco boost fusion and i am about to die of boredom at the wheel. back in Europe this was called the Mondeo and in manual with a NA engine it wasnt too bad back then.

thanks in advance,

Cristian
Old 07-20-2016, 06:59 AM   #65

7000$ later.. Boxster is back tearing the roads! i guess that's a realistic figure not the 4000$ i was hoping for initially. a guy can dream right?

for that price i got an almost brand new engine with only 20,000 miles on it and it looked brand spanking new inside and out. fells a lot quicker too and smooth as butter. guess the old one lost a few ponies along the way, no surprise there.

all of the above mentioned parts were put on it with the addition of a new flywheel at the tune of another 700$ (mine was toast) and some transmission mounts (mine were leaking) and a few other knick knacks. My mechanic had to do a lot more work that he was hoping for but he went over everything and drive train wise it should not need anything major for a good while so i feel it was a good investment and the best part.. i have my Boxster back! it took half of mile of driving when i picked it up to forget all about the money and it right away put a smile on my face

at the end of the day i made the right decision to fix it up and most importantly to replace not rebuild and that decision i owe to the excellent advice on here. you guys are awesome and in hard times like these the forum proves to be the best resource.

when my mechanic pulled the filter again there was A LOT more metal and plastic so we were both very happy we didnt go the rebuild path, it would have cost a lot more.
the DOF IMS bearing was intact so it was something else that failed. he didnt crack the case yet but he will. so far i'm going with hydraulic cam adjuster failure which sent it out of timing but when we'll know for sure i'll update.

at this point i am just happy to have it back and enjoy all the power the new engine is making. with everything revised and drive train more tight it feels REALLY good.

next step is to patch up my struts with used ones from Woody which hopefully will hold me a year or so until i can recover financially and finally put a sport suspension or coilovers.

yes i still have a 130,000 miles Boxster that is not worth too much on the market but since i am planning on keeping it it's worth more to me and my personal enjoyment and you can't put a price on that!

Last edited by CrisZenithBlue; 07-20-2016 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:15 AM   #66

Awesome, glad you are back on the road!!!!
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:16 AM   #67

Garage
Glad to hear! Where else are you going to get that kind of performance for $7000? It's nice to know that your car will live on with a successful heart transplant
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:18 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Awesome, glad you are back on the road!!!!
thank you sir! your armorshield looks nice on my cat delete pipes protecting the cv joints by the way
Old 07-20-2016, 07:24 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Glad to hear! Where else are you going to get that kind of performance for $7000? It's nice to know that your car will live on with a successful heart transplant
yeap! little warrior this one! it will keep my permagrin nice and healthy for a long time to come!
Old 07-20-2016, 04:41 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue View Post
7000$ later.. Boxster is back tearing the roads! i guess that's a realistic figure not the 4000$ i was hoping for initially. a guy can dream right?

for that price i got an almost brand new engine with only 20,000 miles on it and it looked brand spanking new inside and out. fells a lot quicker too and smooth as butter. guess the old one lost a few ponies along the way, no surprise there.

all of the above mentioned parts were put on it with the addition of a new flywheel at the tune of another 700$ (mine was toast) and some transmission mounts (mine were leaking) and a few other knick knacks. My mechanic had to do a lot more work that he was hoping for but he went over everything and drive train wise it should not need anything major for a good while so i feel it was a good investment and the best part.. i have my Boxster back! it took half of mile of driving when i picked it up to forget all about the money and it right away put a smile on my face

at the end of the day i made the right decision to fix it up and most importantly to replace not rebuild and that decision i owe to the excellent advice on here. you guys are awesome and in hard times like these the forum proves to be the best resource.

when my mechanic pulled the filter again there was A LOT more metal and plastic so we were both very happy we didnt go the rebuild path, it would have cost a lot more.
the DOF IMS bearing was intact so it was something else that failed. he didnt crack the case yet but he will. so far i'm going with hydraulic cam adjuster failure which sent it out of timing but when we'll know for sure i'll update.

at this point i am just happy to have it back and enjoy all the power the new engine is making. with everything revised and drive train more tight it feels REALLY good.

next step is to patch up my struts with used ones from Woody which hopefully will hold me a year or so until i can recover financially and finally put a sport suspension or coilovers.

yes i still have a 130,000 miles Boxster that is not worth too much on the market but since i am planning on keeping it it's worth more to me and my personal enjoyment and you can't put a price on that!
Amen Cris- congrats on getting it back on the road and persevering through the unfortunate engine failure...still waiting to meet up with you and batshapedheart!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
GTsilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:24 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTsilber View Post
Amen Cris- congrats on getting it back on the road and persevering through the unfortunate engine failure...still waiting to meet up with you and batshapedheart!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
thanks man! yeah we definitely need to meet up! i'll be out of town next week but when i get back we're gonna look you up. you're gonna make our cars look bad with your new paint job
Old 07-21-2016, 04:42 AM   #72

Glad to hear it's back on the road and hopefully it will give you many many many more years of service. What are you doing with the bad motor? I know someone looking for a complete set of exhaust valves.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:57 AM   #73

thanks Woody! i have no place to store the old engine so i left it with my mechanic with the understanding that i can get any part from it i would need. not entirely sure but i think some of the valves might have been a bit burnt, it was in pretty bad shape.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:04 AM   #74

alright so i never got around to posting the photos of "the horror.. the horrrooorr!!!!" that was in my old engine. boy it wasnt pretty..

i think the previous owner might have missed an oil change or two? or he was a big ignorant about what was put in his car. kinda weird because the car has full service history at a reputable Porsche shop. maybe he just didnt do it at least once a year and let the oil sit in the car for two long.

sludge galore in the oil pan:

this is the bearing on the rod for cylinder 6:

Number 3 was a bit bad too and was about to go and the rest looked fine

dear old crank wasnt doing too hot either:

and would you say i needed a new tensioner pad:

since i had the car i did regular oil changes every 5000 miles, i think i'll start doing them every 3000 miles on the new engine, cheap insurance. the car never ran low on oil but the oil was at the end of its life when it happened.

my mechanic says design inherited vibration from the transmission being farther away from the crank puts a lot of pressure on cylinders closer to it. that ruined the bearing and the crank shaft and if i wouldnt have stopped driving the car the rods were about to go next.

what do you guys think?

Last edited by CrisZenithBlue; 09-10-2016 at 04:08 AM.