Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2016, 02:57 AM   #101

Garage
very easy to pop plastic rivets. you push the middle out with a pick then pry out.

Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:57 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
I'll ask now rather than later as I'm sure others might be wondering how do you remove the OEM spoiler top cap ? How do you pop out the rivets ? Is there foam or adhesive that you have to break the bond of ?
There are a lot of online tutorials on removing the spoiler lip (which is required when removing the rear bumper.) Basically you need to remove the three expanding trim plugs. This requires driving out the pin in the center of each plug till it falls into the center channel. Then the plugs can be pried out. To retrieve the plugs you will need to remove the spoiler by removing the two long bolts that are exposed when you remove the lip. Then squeeze the tabs on the black plastic cover on one side of the spoiler so that you can remove it and tilt the spoiler till the plugs fall out. Putting the lip back on is the opposite. Seat the trim fasteners (being careful to squeeze the three arms so they all go back in the hole, then push the plug back into the hole and tap it gently till it is flush with the plastic fastener.)
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:36 AM   #103

Very easy to remove the spoiler top cap and the the spoiler itself. I wish I would have removed it she I put on my Boxster S spoiler sticker. For some reason (I think the rivets) I thought it was going to be very difficult but it was not.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:43 AM   #104

Remember to align the spoiler cap correctly during re-install. There's not much clearance on either end. The whole process is much easier than it sounds.
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:25 AM   #105

1 - NJBoxster2000
2 - rfuerst911sc
3 - Turn3 Autosport
4 - Van914
5 - Edreamsz
6 - Thumper
7. -Turbodad +front spoiler !
8 - Coloradojay
9 - EJ_2001_986_S
EJ_2001_986_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:19 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe toth View Post
Yes sir it is. I sell those for 400 normally. If you get one with a ducktail I'll do it for 350 plus shipping.
How much ground clearance on the air dam? What is the finish like...black gel? Are they hard to install? Are they installed to existing fastener locations or is more drilling required? I've been looking for something to make the front look a little more aggressive but I'm concerned with scraping.

Last edited by Disaster; 07-26-2016 at 08:27 AM.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:03 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
How much ground clearance on the air dam? What is the finish like...black gel? Are they hard to install? Are they installed to existing fastener locations or is more drilling required? I've been looking for something to make the front look a little more aggressive but I'm concerned with scraping.
At factory ride height there is 5-1/4" ground clearance. The finish is shiny black gelcoat. Installation could be about 20 minutes if you stop to have a coffee. There are no existing fasteners on the Boxster as there was never any provision for any kind of front aero. The plastic pieces at the bottom back corners of the bumper need to be removed and the splitter plugs into the slots where the were. Additionally there are 5 3/8" holes required to be drilled into the bottom of the bumper to attach the splitter. I am supplying rubber blind nuts for the install. When I did the original GT3 piece a few years ago one customer came up with this solution to keep the splitters on as they were having problems with the factory plastic push pins. Take a look at this link and it will give you an idea of the install.

DIY on mounting fiberglass splitters - Rennlist Discussion Forums
Joe toth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:40 PM   #108

error delete
Tcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:43 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe toth View Post
Intake scoops are next on the drawing board.
Are you talking about the ones on the rear quarter panels, behind the doors?

You do not want an intake scoop on the right (passenger side)... that is not an intake. That's an exhaust. A scoop would interfere.
Tcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:07 AM   #110

Hi guys, got my car back last night and managed to do the final trim and test fit on the first production ducktail. I am going to start making parts today, tomorrow and resume Saturday.
I am taking Friday off and going for a drive, seems to have become an annual thing. I turn 66 Friday and this is my present to myself to get out and enjoy the car and our beautiful scenery for a day. Last year I did 2100KM (1300 miles) in twenty five hours.

There are 9 on the group buy list and I will leave it up to you guys to decide if it should stay open and try and hit the 11 mark to drop the price. I will end it Monday August 1st at the latest as I will be ready to receive payments and start shipping.

Pictures of the completed piece.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:06 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcar View Post
You do not want an intake scoop on the right (passenger side)... that is not an intake. That's an exhaust. A scoop would interfere.
The one on the right side pulls cooler outside air into the engine compartment to cool it. If you hold your hand over it when the fan is running, you may feel a little air so it feels like it is expelling air but I think it is some sort of backwash. If you put a sheet of paper over the inlet it sucks the paper to the car.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:10 AM   #112

Have a Fun and Happy Birthday. Ah, 66! I remember that.
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:02 PM   #113

Garage
joe,
Looks great! Enjoy your drive! I can't wait to get mine.
van914
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:14 PM   #114

Spoiled Child

Add me to the list... Leebherron@netscape.net
Leebherron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:18 PM   #115

Joe the spoiler looks fantastic you do great work. With Leebherron joining the list that makes 10 so one more to go for more savings ! Joe enjoy the ride and report back how she handled .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:57 AM   #116

Spoiled !

Sorry Buds, take my name off the list. I need the money for something else now ! Lee
Leebherron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:12 AM   #117

hello joe, i am interested in one and i am local vancouverite! can i just pick it up in person?

setzeraph@hotmail.com

Last edited by newdesides; 07-29-2016 at 12:15 AM.
newdesides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:10 PM   #118

OK it looks like we are back to ten in the group buy how about a few more for additional savings ?
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
Old 07-30-2016, 01:53 PM   #119

I am going to fast forward aprox. two weeks from now . We all have received our spoilers and moving to the next phase. We have " test fit " our spoilers and found out Joe did a great job and they fit great . So now we have to get them painted. Some ( like me ) will do this themselves. So we order online or from local FLAPS the adhesion promoter, primer , paint and clear coat. What sandpaper grits do we use ? I'm thinking maybe 220 to start to knock down the sheen of the gelcoat then move to 800 and finish with maybe 1200 ? Clean the spoiler then hit it with adhesion promoter. Do you sand the promoter ? Then hit with two to three light coats of primer ? Sand and then 3 - 4 coats of color and several coats of clear ? Wet sand the clear and we are done ?
Old 07-31-2016, 05:55 AM   #120

Got back from my 2037 KM road trip last night, a day later than planned. The first 1645 was absolute blast. I did a similar drive last year in my 2010 Cayman S and have to say this car is much more fun to drive. Although it doesn't have the power of the Cayman tossing the Boxster around on the twisty roads is great fun and so easy. The last 392 KM was not expected and took me 24 hours on the back of a tow truck. The water pump came apart and got the car home on the back of a flat tow.

I did not tape the ducktail down for the trip to see what would happen. I can report it is still there solid as when I put it on. Did it make a difference? Haven't a clue. This was my first long drive with the car and have no reference point as I never drove it without the splitter and ducktail. It's a base Boxster with mediocre tires but stuck to the raod like you know what to a blanket. The car feels very neutral, rotates well through the corners and some mild throttle steer. I think at some point I will take the splitter and ducktail off to get a comparison.

I'm back to work on the ductail today. Have a great day everyone.

Picture of the water pump pulley.