Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2016, 12:40 PM   #1
MWS

Resale value of "always Porsche serviced"

Question, what is everyone's opinion of selling a car with a complete Porsche service history vs a car that has work performed somewhere else? Granted, many independent shops may even provide superior work (sorry), but does a complete Porsche history carry any weight?

Also (as an FYI), I have always been Porsche serviced, but have been lax on keeping all bills thinking the dealer would always have electronic copies. To my great surprise, my dealer recently purged all info, now I have a total Porsche serviced car, with no documentation. I suppose I could have the service rep sign an affidavit...

I knew I was always paying more than I could have, but figured it would be worth it at resale. Sigh.

MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:08 PM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Dealers are human and prone to mistakes. Ask jkc2050 about dealer service.

To answer to your question, not to me. The more important questions are the mileage /time intervals proper.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:10 PM   #3
I am my own mechanic....

Always Porsche serviced means you paid waaaaay too much for most repairs if not all, and I wouldn't want that reflected in the price if I was buying. These cars have a value and that's that. A PPI will tell you what is what and where the car currently stands.

I do all my own service and would not drop the price because of that. And Porsche service wouldn't make it worth any more.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:19 PM   #4
WALDMEISTER

Garage
If I had to pick...Porsche serviced OR self-serviced...roughly in the same price range...I'd ALWAYS pick Porsche serviced, that is for sure.
But I am no mechanic as most DIY'ers aren't
Old 06-05-2016, 01:49 PM   #5
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
If I had to pick...Porsche serviced OR self-serviced...roughly in the same price range...I'd ALWAYS pick Porsche serviced, that is for sure.
But I am no mechanic as most DIY'ers aren't
Well, my IMS came out perfect unlike another dealer. I know what brand of every part went in. I have the exact mileage it went in. I know every torque value used on every bolt. I have almost every old part to show the wear. I've never let brake fluid touch my wheels. I have the previous 3 oil filters to show what they caught. I cleaned every part before reinstall. I have every receipt for every part. I even have the boxes the new parts came in.

Personally, I would choose me....but I'm no mechanic.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:56 PM   #6

In my opinion the only thing that makes a boxster a more desirable car is an ins retrofit
stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Well, my IMS came out perfect unlike another dealer. I know what brand of every part went in. I have the exact mileage it went in. I know every torque value used on every bolt. I have almost every old part to show the wear. I've never let brake fluid touch my wheels. I have the previous 3 oil filters to show what they caught. I cleaned every part before reinstall. I have every receipt for every part. I even have the boxes the new parts came in.

Personally, I would choose me....but I'm no mechanic.
No slight against you Timco - but anyone who doesn't know you won't have any appreciation for your work ethic or your abilities, and therefore the 'Dealer Serviced' vehicle may sound more attractive. Marketing, right?

I would certainly advertise the car as Dealer serviced - you may not get any more money for it, but you may sell it faster vs a self service. Although without proper documentation - not sure you are any further ahead. Why the heck didn't you keep all the invoices??
Old 06-05-2016, 02:05 PM   #8

Not shure what i would choose.

if the car was maintained by an official Porsche dealer workshop that doesn't mean that the people that worked on the car where trained on the car. Sometimes you'll find an older mechanic that was trained on the car and still has the knowledge for 986 cars. But that doesn't mean that they also work on that cars. What speaks for an official Porsche dealer workshop is that they have all special tools, workshop manuals and diagnostic tools for the car and that they in general use OEM Porsche parts and they have inspection lists. But does that help if the mechanic wasn't trained on the car?

if the car was maintained by a free Porsche workshop - who knows if the guys that where working on the car really have the knowledge and expertise? And nobody knows which parts were used.

If the car was maintained by the owner. Who knows if he is a good mechanic? Who knows what parts were used and nobody knows if things were repaired correctly and if inspections were made correctly.

So maybe the Porsche dealer workshop might be the best choice. But it's not a guarantee.

If you don't have the complete paperwork the car to me would be worth "nothing".

I would always prefer a well documented DIY maintenance to a non documented maybe Porsche dealership workshop maintenance.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:33 PM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

Generally, the thinking is a 10%-20% premium should assigned to cars with full service history. Of course, this is buyer specific - some buyers are willing to pay more for a car that includes documentation showing that the car was well cared for. Alternatively, others buyers may not add any value for this info.

As to dealer serviced, I don't think that there is any additional value (beyond that noted above) just because the service and repairs were done at a dealer vs an independent shop.

To me personally, it would be nice to know the service history but I wouldn't pay a dime extra for the information.

Ok, maybe a dime, but not a quarter.

(FYI - my wife is an infomaniac. She keeps a log book of every single dollar spent on her cars - all maintenance, all repairs, and yes, every single time she fills gas. She has done this for all 34 years that I have known her. It has never been worth any amount of $$ worth mentioning, if anything, when re-selling any of the many cars that she has owned over the many years.)
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 06-05-2016 at 05:15 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:56 PM   #10
MWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
No slight against you Timco - but anyone who doesn't know you won't have any appreciation for your work ethic or your abilities, and therefore the 'Dealer Serviced' vehicle may sound more attractive. Marketing, right?

I would certainly advertise the car as Dealer serviced - you may not get any more money for it, but you may sell it faster vs a self service. Although without proper documentation - not sure you are any further ahead. Why the heck didn't you keep all the invoices??
Yep, good question, why didn't I? Just figured that if I ever sold car (not that I am), the dealer would be able to print all copies for me. I have a long history (15+ years) with the dealer (mainly with Audis) and they have always had all documentation. During the course of apologizing profoundly (and assuring me they have everything for my 3 Audis), they said Porsche records are not kept as long. I smell BS, but at least they were really sorry. Oh well, live and learn. Keep everything... might not know when the Taco Bell receipt from 2005 might come in handy.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:32 PM   #11

Dealers seem to only be up on the newer stuff. I have an 1988 928 and a dealer would be completely clueless working on that car.

The older these cars get the less a dealer service history means. Remember the newest 986 is 11 years old, the oldest is 19 years old. When I bought mine I just winged it, no PPI but only because I got it cheap enough and I do all my own work.
Cosmo Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:16 PM   #12

Garage
I am with timco on this as I do my own work and keep copious records every cent parts mileage. I have been involved with porsches rolls and Bentleys you never buy a rolls or Bentley without current records. I just bought a boxster and would not have bought it without records. I also bought a 70 chevelle with nothing but there not complicated tgere cheap and easy to see what needs done. But to each there own.
Rufcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:07 PM   #13

Garage
Resale value of "always Porsche serviced"

I'm pro dealer, but they make mistakes just like independent shops do. My first box stranded me due to botched repair from a Ferrari and Porsche Indy.

I don't think a dealer serviced car means much on resale however neither does garage kept. Saying a car is garage kept doesn't matter, it matters if it looks garage kept. Saying a car is dealer serviced doesn't matter, a clean ppi does.

(records do help sell the car though, from an Indy or not.)

Last edited by BIGJake111; 06-06-2016 at 04:55 AM.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:24 PM   #14

Just sold my Boxster in a matter of days and having records of the service done plus the IMS being replaced 20k ago made a difference. Overall condition of the car helped too and complete honesty about what it needed (tires soon and vinyl window had the usual crack at the two corners) doesn't hurt. I had 4 appointments to see the car and 2 out of state buyers willing to send deposits. The first appointment took the car at asking price.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
(FYI - my wife is an infomaniac. She keeps a log book of every single dollar spent on her cars - all maintenance, all repairs, and yes, every single time she fills gas. She has done this for all 34 years that I have known her. It has never been worth any amount of $$ worth mentioning, if anything, when re-selling any of the many cars that she has owned over the many years.)
I do this same thing. While it may not effect the price of a normal car, it will help enthusiast cars. I was able to get my asking price for my 01 Audi S4 because of the history I kept on the car. The buyer cited it as to why he didn't even haggle.
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:54 PM   #16

Garage
What about the methodology of a diminished in value due to a minor accident?How do you think it would affect price if repaired at dealership, minor (barely noticeable) rear bumper damage