Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2016, 11:51 AM   #21

Garage
We don't need no stink-in Moderators

I would agree that some sort of Voting/Like/Dislike/Disguised against threads that go out side the box or Boxster

Freedom of Speech and all.

Part of the appeal and draw of a forum like this is having some very knowledge and professional contributors that can set the less knowledgeable and learning(Me) on to the right path.

Bashing will drive away those in the know, keep new away and drive the rest of us somewhere else

Old 04-28-2016, 11:52 AM   #22

Sorry I couldn't help myself...

I agree with your original sentiment Woody... Lets all be civil around here. Our cars are all way too much fun (most of the time) to be on the internet getting upset.

Last edited by ReallyDirtyThirty; 04-28-2016 at 11:54 AM.
ReallyDirtyThirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskoka Minute View Post
As far as getting more newer Boxster and Cayman people involved, well without wanting to sound like a snob, I would prefer this forum stay focused on the 986, not newer models. There are many other forums that are focused on 987 and 981 models. If would be a shame if this turned into rennlist

X2[/QUOTE]

I don't think I quite agree with you. If I move over to a 987 or 981 I would hate to have to move on from the people and the help that I appreciate so much on this forum.

As far as a moderator, I haven't needed a babysitter to settle things for me since I was about ten.
CHRISP357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:07 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
As far as getting more newer Boxster and Cayman people involved, well without wanting to sound like a snob, I would prefer this forum stay focused on the 986, not newer models. There are many other forums that are focused on 987 and 981 models. If would be a shame if this turned into rennlist
+1more
Issues and solutions for our 986 cars are different than those for the newer cars. Having a mix of 986/987/981 posts would make things really confusing and possibly more contentious.[/QUOTE]

The challenge with this attitude is that then slowly, this forum will die. 986's are getting older and older and are slowly coming off the road. I personally moved to a 987 late last year as my old 986 was just too beat up to put more money into it.

And as someone pointed out- these forums are simple. Very simply laid out, easy to navigate and, for the most part, a good group of people. Lots of us are looking for an alternative to Rennlist....and I don't see how newer PCar owners will impact that.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:38 PM   #25

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
+1more
Issues and solutions for our 986 cars are different than those for the newer cars. Having a mix of 986/987/981 posts would make things really confusing and possibly more contentious.
The challenge with this attitude is that then slowly, this forum will die. 986's are getting older and older and are slowly coming off the road. I personally moved to a 987 late last year as my old 986 was just too beat up to put more money into it.

And as someone pointed out- these forums are simple. Very simply laid out, easy to navigate and, for the most part, a good group of people. Lots of us are looking for an alternative to Rennlist....and I don't see how newer PCar owners will impact that.[/QUOTE]

The forum will not die but it will change... The age will drop to the mid 20's and late teens as the 944 forums have over the years
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:01 PM   #26
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post

The forum will not die but it will change... The age will drop to the mid 20's and late teens as the 944 forums have over the years
great, just what we need, being overrun by a bunch of Millennials
LOL

Big Jake, does not apply to you
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
LOL

Yes - and rumour has it they all eat at the Cheesecake Factory!
Old 04-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #28

Garage
I'm pretty happy with the current software and don't really think this place needs a mod. I do wish I could like posts though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:20 PM   #29
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
We'll see. I have noticed a lot of members that have moved on to other cars, yet keep coming back. Change is inevitable. I plan to keep a couple 986s around as long as they care to stay, but expect I'll migrate to a 987 as well. My guess is that this will remain the best Boxster forum and slowly gravitate to the newer (yet still old) cars.

As for moderators, for the most part the forum is self-cleansing. Landa, cats, street racing... When things get way out of hand, Wayne or one of his people do eventually lock or delete the bad threads. Looking at the post count and view count, the worst threads do attract the most attention. That "Submit Reply" button can be dangerous. Maybe they should add another button after that says, "Are You Sure?"
:dance:
Old 04-28-2016, 01:21 PM   #30

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
LOL

Let me put this on my snapchat story, put on my SnapBack, do some burnouts in a police station parking lot write a thread about picking up babes in the box and then I'll get back to you on that .
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:40 PM   #31
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Let me put this on my snapchat story, put on my SnapBack, do some burnouts in a police station parking lot write a thread about picking up babes in the box and then I'll get back to you on that .
you forgot to add
stuffing a girl in the frunk
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:53 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
I'm pretty happy with the current software and don't really think this place needs a mod. I do wish I could like posts though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you reply to a post that you like or agree with, just type "+1"
Old 04-28-2016, 01:58 PM   #33

Maybe someone that also has an air cooled Porsche and knows an air cooled forum can verify wether or not its popular, is keeping members, and adding new members as well getting contributions and good quality information?
Old 04-28-2016, 02:35 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyDirtyThirty View Post
Sorry I couldn't help myself...

I agree with your original sentiment Woody... Lets all be civil around here. Our cars are all way too much fun (most of the time) to be on the internet getting upset.

My updated campaign photo. Seriously though, Rick3000 can have it because I'm not sure I'm qualified to do it. It looks like most of us would prefer no moderator or just someone to clean house every once in awhile.

When I say I want newer model in the mix, I'm thinking more activity in the 987 section of this forum. I think we could benefit from having newer models to learn from. Shifter, air box, that kind of stuff. Meeting of the minds kind of information.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post

My updated campaign photo. Seriously though, Rick3000 can have it because I'm not sure I'm qualified to do it. It looks like most of us would prefer no moderator or just someone to clean house every once in awhile.

When I say I want newer model in the mix, I'm thinking more activity in the 987 section of this forum. I think we could benefit from having newer models to learn from. Shifter, air box, that kind of stuff. Meeting of the minds kind of information.
Not to thread jack... But Woody, you have 944's now too?! I just bought an '84 944 to turn in to a track car 8 weeks ago. Personally this could be a positive development for me! PM me if you do!!

Cheers,

-Rob
ReallyDirtyThirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:19 PM   #36
Track rat

Garage
FWIW I have been on this forum about as long as Randall and we have seen some changes over the years. A long time ago there was a moderator who was very involved and a regular poster (Bruce Lee). Sometimes things got too personal and caused heartburn even with an active mod. We have seen some very interesting personalities over the last 10 years but this is still the best and friendliest car forum I know.

There are no perfect solutions. With any group of people there will occasionally be disagreements and folks get feelings hurt. Remember that this is just a car forum among friends. Don't take this stuff personally. If you find yourself needing to go all "keyboard commando" over someone's post, check yourself and maybe take a break from 986 for a few days. It's just a car forum.

I owned my 986 for 10 years and she was a great car. Probably the most fun car I have ever owned. I now have a 987.2 and am enjoying new adventures but still pop in here out of long time friendships with others who have similar interests. Hopefully my experiences with the Boxster will still be useful to others and I enjoy reading other's experiences as they discover their 986 along the way.

Rock on 986Forum!

Last edited by Topless; 05-01-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:49 AM   #37

Garage
I was on this forum when Bruce Lee was mod and I left it for years because of him. This forum, with few exceptions, is well run by its members who typically exercise control over their emotions. If you compare this forum with the Pelican Parts forum this forum is well mannered and informative and not the wild west where you have to wear a flame retardant suit when you log on and I hope this forum doesn't turn into it. I vote for restraint before we elect a sheriff and see how it goes for a while. We can't let one or two incidents cause an over reaction as the members seem to be capable of handling the situations.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:21 AM   #38
CEL P0306

Garage
I'm for self-regulation with the exception of maintaining subject discipline in the threads- a 'moderator' could help steer folks when they start to stray off topic.

If we cannot be gentlemen (and ladies) in this forum, then that behavior should not be tolerated by the group. Maybe disagreements get two civil replies max, then you take it off line. A reminder of our shared purpose would be well timed when things start to slip. Self-regulation can handle this if we all agree to help out.
aczyzewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:49 AM   #39

Moderators can be a very positive addition to any forum, provided that:

1. The forum rules are clearly stated, and agreeing to them is a requirement of joining.
2. The moderator(s) actions are equitable and according to the forum rules you agreed to when you joined.
3. The moderator's actions are both quick and appropriate to the incident at hand.

There are other Porsche related forums that function in this way, maintaining a "no nonsense" approach to rules violations. If the latest incident had begun there, it would have quickly been over, with those involved first warned, and then permanently banned (yes, that can be done) if the offense reoccurred. It works well, encourages civil exchanges, and eliminates such unfortunate threads.

Unfortunately, self regulation on internet forums is more of an idealistic concept rather than a reality. We live in a world where it takes locks to keep honest people honest...........

Last edited by JFP in PA; 04-29-2016 at 07:56 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:08 AM   #40

For a splendid example of a very well Moderated and useful Forum ,I suggest the curious check out RennTech. Susrprised JFP didn't mention it :-).

Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote