Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2016, 06:55 AM   #1

I "Wanna Go Fast"! How fast can we go?!?!

Greetings all,

I am going to try and sign up for the Wanna Go Fast event here in Georgia, but am trying to find out just how much speed can be had from a stock Boxster S gearbox, as I am contemplating adding more power For those of you who are not aware, this is 1/2 mile drag racing and you should check it out! wannaGOFAST - High-Speed Racing - Home

I've found a decent calculator online and it seems the box is good for about 167 mph, but do we have any track guys or Autobahning Germans in here who have verified top speeds?

167 would be a tough nut to crack in current configuration, but definitely a possibility. Plugging the numbers into a 1/4 mile calculator ( ET-MPH-HP Calculator ), while I'm sure it is generous, inputting 2950 curb weight and 480HP calculates to a 10.67 @ 126.66 MPH~ So the question is will I get another 40 MPH in the second 1/4 mile? Or do I need more power?

Thinking of getting the car dyno tuned and depending on how badly I want to break things was thinking of adding a bit throwing a little nitrous oxide at it as well. I had a kit on my old Camaro which I only used a handful of times including a dyno run but DAMN does it make a difference!

The tune I think should add roughly 50 HP, and if I put some NOS on it I would go with a 100HP wet shot. All together roughly 625ish HP with the squeeze on. Given I wouldn't be able to hit it until at least 3rd-4th gear but plugging those numbers into the calculator gives me a 9.77 @ 138.31 MPH in the 1/4 mile so in theory 167 is more then possible. Amazing how adding 145HP only gives you another 12MPH in the 1/4!!

I'll let you all know if I get a spot - the last event sold out in like 12 minutes so I gotta be fast!!!
Thanks
J

BoxsterLS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:43 AM   #2

Garage
That looks like a blast!!

.....but maybe bring some scuba gear just in case....

2000 hp Lambo gets wet in Georgia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAx_YAy9RwQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h06GAWFwmSs

Last edited by ccjazz; 03-08-2016 at 09:50 AM. Reason: A second view...
ccjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:14 AM   #3

Haha yeah I've seen that - not for the faint of heart! Some of the lambos that have been showing up are clocking 220MPH+ and I think the current record is like 237!! Totally nuts.

This will be my first time going to a 1/2 mile drag race. Should be exciting!
Old 03-08-2016, 11:38 AM   #4

Garage
Solid tread on those tires.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:47 AM   #5
still plays with cars...

Garage
You could hit your LS with juice, but I would worry about the gearbox surviving the um, abuse.
If you did, I probably would not spray it until you were in 5th or 6th. Better chance of doing it more than once!
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:50 AM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

There is a similar series here in California by ShiftS3ctor called Airstrip Attack (ShiftS3ctor.com)

Since the air drag generally increases with the square of the velocity, you need a LOT more power to go increasingly faster.

From the comparison's that I've seen, with 600+hp you should have a good shot at seeing 167mph in 1/2 mile. One challenge might be getting all of that power to the ground without spinning the tires. Just a thought.

Keep us posted!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 03-08-2016 at 11:53 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBeerToad View Post
Solid tread on those tires.
Yessir!! New tires will be a must if I attend this event!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve View Post
You could hit your LS with juice, but I would worry about the gearbox surviving the um, abuse.
If you did, I probably would not spray it until you were in 5th or 6th. Better chance of doing it more than once!
So far the gearbox has been pretty good but the extra power could change that. I think 4th gear should be moving along enough to hit it without breaking too much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
There is a similar series here in California by ShiftS3ctor called Airstrip Attack (ShiftS3ctor.com)

Since the air drag generally increases with the square of the velocity, you need a LOT more power to go increasingly faster.

From the comparison's that I've seen, with 600+hp you should have a good shot at seeing 167mph in 1/2 mile. One challenge might be getting all of that power to the ground without spinning the tires. Just a thought.

Keep us posted!
Yeah if you look at the speeds you can tell there is a major wall around 160-170 that most people can't break though without mega power. For the power range my car is in most people are getting 150-160 but the boxster is a good bit lighter so who knows!

Thanks!
J
Old 03-08-2016, 07:04 PM   #8
Track rat

Garage
Put a pair of skinny tires on the front and drop 500# from the car. You might see 165 GPS if you get a good clean launch.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:15 PM   #9
Racer Boy

Until I realized you have the LS3 in your car, I was wondering how the heck you were getting that kind of power! Once I saw your signature line, I went "Oh! It's the guy with the Chevy motor! Now it all makes sense..."
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Put a pair of skinny tires on the front and drop 500# from the car. You might see 165 GPS if you get a good clean launch.
If I'm going to go 165 I think i'll keep the fat tires up front so I can stop the car when I'm done! Pretty sure they start from a roll in most cases, not necessarily a drag launch although I know you can do that if you choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
Until I realized you have the LS3 in your car, I was wondering how the heck you were getting that kind of power! Once I saw your signature line, I went "Oh! It's the guy with the Chevy motor! Now it all makes sense..."
Yup, that's me. :dance:

So in researching things a bit I'm not sure if I'll be able to get a nitrous kit that will fit as most I am seeing are plate systems that bolt to the intake manifold and I'm pretty limited on space. I've used a TNT system in the past but it doesn't look like they are around anymore?
Worst case scenario i'll get the tune done and see if we can take it to the 550~ range. If I can get it to 160 mph I think i'll be happy, but the more the better!
Old 03-09-2016, 07:15 AM   #11
WALDMEISTER

Garage
ja, officially 155mph is written in stone for a 2.7...as it says so in the papers.
167mph/270kmh on the speedometer...should be 163-165mph for real.
At that speed, one is really fighting the element wind and of course changing road surfaces. I just imagine a huge DIY rear spoiler at that speed...scary
Old 03-09-2016, 09:56 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterLS376 View Post
If I'm going to go 165 I think i'll keep the fat tires up front so I can stop the car when I'm done!
I have a solution...
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:55 AM   #13

Done and done. Officially signed up for the Wanna Go Fast event in Clayton GA on Saturday!

Would love to have some support out there as I'm certain i'll be the only Boxster in the crowd!!

April 14th 2016
wannaGOFAST - High-Speed Racing - Georgia 1/2 Mile Runway Shootout
Old 03-11-2016, 08:40 AM   #14
Racer Boy

Cool! Are you going to run with the top up, or down?

Some redneck, yet effective tips for aero are to remove the windshield wipers and side mirrors (not sure how complicated it is to remove the mirrors on a Boxster). Also, use some good quality racers tape (high quality duct tape) and tape over all the seams in the front bodywork, such as the gaps between the frunk and fenders, and around the headlights. I used to race a first gen RX7 that would normally hit about 145 mph at the end of the straight (it was still pulling, the speed was limited by the track, not the car). One time in practice I tried all those tricks, and it actually gave me a few mph. It can't hurt to try!

Ask some of the other racers there who have done this before what other basics you can try as far as tire pressures, etc. May as well take advantage of their experience!
Old 03-11-2016, 02:13 PM   #15

I would love to run with the top down, but the rules say no-can-do unless you have a cage and 5 point harness which at this point I have no plans to do.

I may try a few tricks depending on how the day progresses. I remember watching the Top Gear episode (The REAL ENGLISH Top Gear, not the american BS), they went to the Bonneville salt flats and were trying tape tricks and at those speeds wind resistance plays a huge part.

I'm sure the car will do well but as long as it goes 150 or better i'll be happy, everything else is just bonus.

I did some more tweaking on the car today and wrapped a few things up which I have been putting off. Trying to get a dyno session scheduled but debating on weather or not to juice this baby up first! I did some checking today and looks like I have plenty of room to add a nitrous kit to the car if i can dig up some funds to do so
Old 03-11-2016, 03:21 PM   #16
Racer Boy

You definitely want to have the top up - the aero is much better. On a Miata, the top up gives about 5 mph better top speed, and that is at 120 mph, not 150!
Old 03-11-2016, 09:56 PM   #17

To get a little extra MPH out of the car, you could try some taller tires or even inflating a little bit more air than you normally would. Then there's also the option for some drag radials to get a better holeshot. Last, you could also opt for a 150 jet over the 100 since you're going with a wet kit. I've ran over a dozen bottles on my old Trans Am with a 100 dry kit and it took it like a champ.

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:55 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterLS376 View Post
Done and done. Officially signed up for the Wanna Go Fast event in Clayton GA on Saturday!

Would love to have some support out there as I'm certain i'll be the only Boxster in the crowd!!

April 14th 2016
wannaGOFAST - High-Speed Racing - Georgia 1/2 Mile Runway Shootout

Soooo....I've been wondering how you did on the 14th JJ. Hope everything went as planned.

:dance: