Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2016, 05:06 AM   #1

Garage
Help! Key broken

So this morning I went for a drive and got out and locked the car. My boxster only has a valet key right now because that’s all the previous owner ever had. So I’ve gotten used to using the valet key to both start the car and to lock and unlock the car.

So this morning when I locked the car by turning it to the right, it didn’t go back to the starting position. It stopped at about 45 degrees and wouldn’t let me continue to the full 90 degrees to the position that it can be taken out of. So my keys are stuck. Great. To make matters worse, it looks like the previous owner had the metal part of the valet key separate from the plastic part in the past, so it was glued together. So the plastic part separated from the metal part.

My question is how to solve this. Does the physical lock in the car connect to the immobilizer? Does the key have an RFID chip in it that unlocks? Could it be possible that the contacts separated from the metal and the car wouldn’t let it out? Both locks are locked, and my local car repair shops never have any clue what to do around a Porsche. Any ideas?

cornontherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:44 AM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
IIRC, the difference between a valet key and the regular key is the physical key blank, the key pattern is the same. You could go to a place that cuts laser keys and get a regular key cut from a valet key

In the key head is a small pill that communicates with the immobilizer, whether or not it is actually RFID, I don't know. There is no physical connection between the lock and the immobilizer.
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:23 AM   #3

Garage
However the key is still stuck in the lock, so I don't know what to do from here with it.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:37 AM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I'm unclear, is it stuck in the ignition or in the door lock?

Jay is correct, the only difference between the Valet Key and a regular key is the form factor. The key getting stuck like that has nothing to do with the immobilizer. The immobilizer keeps the car from turning over if the small 'pill' in the key fob is not present, there is no way for it to freeze the key in the ignition or the door.

My guess would be that the ignition or lock has failed. I would try to lube the lock with WD-40. EDIT: per Jay's comment below, use Teflon or Silicon

Last edited by rick3000; 04-15-2016 at 06:53 AM. Reason: correction
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:47 AM   #5
On the slippery slope

Garage
WD-40 is not a lubricant. If you're going to spray a lubricant in the lock , use silicone or teflon spray
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 04-15-2016 at 06:54 AM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:13 AM   #6

Garage
It gets to a certain point then will not turn anymore. So should I spray lube in there and try to turn it harder?
Old 04-15-2016, 07:21 AM   #7
1998 Boxster Owner

Garage
Don't turn it until you break it or you'll be replacing a lock cylinder. Try to spray some lube in the slot and work it gently with the key. Hopefully the lube will let the key eventually rotate and release from the lock cylinder. Then go get some keys made.
tada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:06 AM   #8

Do the key blanks found on ebay work? I only have a valet key and am not overly concerned about having a 2nd key that will not automatically lock/unlock the car or activate the alarm.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:31 AM   #9

yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by flouese View Post
Do the key blanks found on ebay work? I only have a valet key and am not overly concerned about having a 2nd key that will not automatically lock/unlock the car or activate the alarm.
yes as long is the same form
stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:54 AM   #10

Garage
It may have just been really stuck. Took a pliers and yanked it to neutral, then unlocked it and went on my merry way. Thanks!
Old 04-15-2016, 01:20 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornontherob View Post
It may have just been really stuck. Took a pliers and yanked it to neutral, then unlocked it and went on my merry way. Thanks!
Use this as a wake up call to make a good decision and get some Actual keys made. Next time you may not be so lucky.

911monty is offline   Reply With Quote