Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2016, 05:55 PM   #1

Replace top issues

Hey guys, I had my '01 plastic window top professionally replaced with an EZ-On glass window top.

Put the top down today - it would not go all the way down, the last 8" would not move anymore. I noticed the glass window was at about a 45 degree angle, not sure if that is how it ends up in the folded top.

Put it back up, would not go all the way, I discovered that the outside guide wires on both sides were on outside of the frame vs inside the way they should go. This caused one of my plastic ball joints to break and the arm it is attached to break. No issue they can be replaced.

So I disconnect the plastic ball from the other side to manually put down the top. I use the motor to move the clamshell and manually position the top. It still will not all the way down, even pushing it down does not work. I can put it up manually, however need to correctly position the guide wires to make it work right.

Anyone run into this problem - new top not going all the way down? And guide wires running out the outside vs inside the top frame?

I wonder if I have a poorly made top, or one that was poorly installed.

Thanks for your inputs!

Old 04-14-2016, 06:17 PM   #2
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Return to the installer ASAP.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:25 PM   #3

Agree that you should return to the installer.

I put a top/wglass window on my car almost 2 years ago. Mine would go down just fine.
The top is very tight and needs to be left up and latched and the car left out in the sun for about a week. It'll certainly stretch and become easier to latch.

Wires outside the channels is pretty common and can be corrected. Given you paid to have the top installed, the installer ought to correct the wire position.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:39 AM   #4

Thanks guys! Definitely paying a visit to the installer today.

I have a couple of questions -

1) When you put down the top, how is the glass angled? On mine the glass is at a 45 degree angle and does not move, it looks like the glass needs to be at more of a flat angle.

2) Putting the top up and down manually, does it matter how the clamshell is positioned? I assume it is good with the clamshell opened all the way, I want to make sure there is no interference with any of the lift mechanism.

The new top looks amazing and is so much quieter, I just want to be able to use it! Paid top dollar for the install because the guy has done several, hopefully he will make it right.

Much appreciated.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:05 AM   #5

There are two springs...one of each side of the top

just behind the door windows on the top frame near the doorsill. They look kind of like leaf/tension springs (just a flat piece of metal) and these are either inverted or swapped left to right incorrectly. I installed my glass top myself and had the same issue until these were fixed and it worked perfectly after that.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:55 PM   #6

Took the car to the top installer - he agreed that it was way off, and said that somehow the wrong top got installed. It is either a top for a 2003-2004 or it was made incorrectly, they are going to fix it.

If it was so obvious, why did they complete the installation in the first place?

Thanks everyone for your help.