Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2016, 04:16 AM   #41

I'll try to reserve judgement. I'm very anxious to try one of these cars in person. I do like the looks a bit better than the 981, and performance has clearly benefitted. I don't like the sound on the videos, but who knows what it will sound like when I'm mashing the throttle and it's ringing in my ears in stereo.
I have to remind myself I grew up in the 70s and 80s and what a dark period that was for cars in general. The 00s and 10s are a golden age of performance cars. Incredibly fast, reliable, sexy, and efficient. A combination of things that were never possible in my younger days. i also have to remind myself that flat fours are the genesis of Porsche.
I'll wait and see.

Last edited by Retroman1969; 04-07-2016 at 04:19 AM.
Retroman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:29 AM   #42

PS: I don't typically talk politics because of all the s#%*t it inevitably causes, but two parties, owned and controlled by the same corporations that control all of the major media outlets and censor most of the information you receive, does not a democracy make.
I'm a deciple of the Church of Carlin who said: We are given a voting day to provide the illusion that you have a choice. You don't. You have owners. They own you, as well as all of the politicians and major media outlets, and they have the judges in their hip pockets. The game is rigged folks.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:37 AM   #43
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Politics?!?!

Don't make me report your post!
Old 04-07-2016, 06:16 AM   #44

Wow....seriously guys. Politics? Governments fault? Conspiracy theory much?

I love how when politics enters the equation, ration thought and debate typically leave and pure emotion takes over.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:17 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Politics?!?!

LOL, agreed. This is a car site. But that should go for everyone. 'Twas my one and only rebuff.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:48 AM   #46
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
If I am ever in a position to own a new 718 I will happily drive it with gusto while making growling, snarling, six cylinder type noises to coincide with the shifting PDK.

Or maybe make a sound effects CD with my current Boxster and play it in the 718.

Sound is nice, but the other 99.9% of the vehicle is important too.

Open top driving, listening to the sweet induction sound is what does it for me.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:29 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Politics?!?!

I apologize, folks. Wisconsin just had its primary, and we've "enjoyed" a two week barrage of inane political ads all to ourselves. I shall endeavor to share only apolitical opinions from now until perhaps late October.

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:54 AM   #48

Guess it's time to get rid of my 14 cylinder.
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:47 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman1969 View Post
PS: I don't typically talk politics because of all the s#%*t it inevitably causes, but two parties, owned and controlled by the same corporations that control all of the major media outlets and censor most of the information you receive, does not a democracy make.
I'm a deciple of the Church of Carlin who said: We are given a voting day to provide the illusion that you have a choice. You don't. You have owners. They own you, as well as all of the politicians and major media outlets, and they have the judges in their hip pockets. The game is rigged folks.
You do realize that Porsche designed the early IMSBs in cahoots with the oil companies to raise profits through frequent oil changes
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:06 AM   #50

No!! Don't say such things about the sainted company of our lord! They donate 50% of their profits to charity and ponies to orphans with every car sold!
I'm certain that the clothes I wear were made by some poor sweatshop worker who makes a dollar a day, and my oven was made by a company that $hits all over the environment, and my camera tripod made by a company who's CEO snorts blow off of the stomachs of hookers while his kids have to go to therapy.
Unless I want to go full-on "Walden" by Henry David Thoreau (look it up) I just have to pick my poison to function like everyone else.
Are we done with this now? Because I genuinely, genuinely don't want to cause a $hit storm on here. I promised I wouldn't make any other activist comments and I'd like to stick to it.
Thanks.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:32 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman1969 View Post
No doubt it's a brilliant, endlessly capable car that I'll really like when I get to experience one in person..... But the sound is one of the elements that comes together with the others to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when I'm charging across that tach while holding it in each gear as long as possible. I just wonder if the new car will be a bit less emotionally effective than the previous generations?
As emotionally effective as the S2000
Old 04-10-2016, 05:02 AM   #52

My problem with the new turbo4 motors isn't the lack of sound from a flat six, it's the long term costs of ownership.

Turbos can and do go out prematurely from being wound up tight and hot and being shut down too fast, and they have an average lifespan of no more than 100k... and they're not going to be cheap to replace.

Seems like auto makers (well, at least Porsche and BMW) are making cars to last through the CPO warranty period and that's about it. Yeah, I know the EPA is pressuring them to get better fuel economy, but the fact remains. They're building very high maintenance vehicles to keep on the road long term.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:28 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
My problem with the new turbo4 motors isn't the lack of sound from a flat six, it's the long term costs of ownership.

Turbos can and do go out prematurely from being wound up tight and hot and being shut down too fast, and they have an average lifespan of no more than 100k... and they're not going to be cheap to replace.

Seems like auto makers (well, at least Porsche and BMW) are making cars to last through the CPO warranty period and that's about it. Yeah, I know the EPA is pressuring them to get better fuel economy, but the fact remains. They're building very high maintenance vehicles to keep on the road long term.
I agree

The More You Know: As Turbos Multiply, Reliability Questions Linger | Driver's Seat | record-eagle.com
Old 04-10-2016, 05:35 AM   #54

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post
As emotionally effective as the S2000

+986 too funny
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:46 AM   #55

Quote: