Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2016, 02:15 PM   #1

Ticking sound on cold start

I took the 987 for 2 very short trips this am. Car never got warm. I started it this afternoon and heard a ticking sound from the drivers side engine on a cold start. Drove the car on the highway and it warmed to 175. Stopped to listen and ticking was gone. Put in garage and the ticking was gone. Any ideas?

Shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:39 PM   #2

Garage
Probably a lifter tap. Not a big deal if it went away.

As a rule of thumb, taking the car on very short trips is not good for it. Make sure you get it warmed up to operating temp or drive something else.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
Probably a lifter tap. Not a big deal if it went away.

As a rule of thumb, taking the car on very short trips is not good for it. Make sure you get it warmed up to operating temp or drive something else.
Good advise, it was a one time deal, I'm learning...
Old 04-03-2016, 05:11 PM   #4

Agreed, especially if it sits for periods of time. If the oil hadn't warmed up sufficiently on the last drive and then was parked, it could easily cause a lifter to stick.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman1969 View Post
Agreed, especially if it sits for periods of time. If the oil hadn't warmed up sufficiently on the last drive and then was parked, it could easily cause a lifter to stick.
That's exactly what it sounded like.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:49 PM   #6

The are several causes of ticking that are not related to lifters but lets assume your situation is the lifters.
If you dismantle an M96 cylinder head and dismantle a lifter you may get a different perspective on this ticking issue.I'll try to explain in non-technical language.If you can pull up a photo or diagram of this lifter it will be easier to follow.
There are several parts to the lifter. The main 2 parts are the 'bucket' and the tappet. The tappet has a some float inside the bucket depending on how much oil has been retained as a cushion. If the oil leaks out, the tappet can get hammered up inside the bucket .The clearance then becomes much larger than spec. This is one cause of ticking. If the tappet regains it's oil cushion ,the noise disappears.
The problem is that dirty oil can lodge in the lifter assy. and block the oilway.That may cause irreversible seizing of the tappet in the bucket. So you may consider an oil+filter change ? Dissect the oil filter to inspect for debris.
If the ticking returns, try to use an electronic stethoscope to precisely locate the source of the noise. It could be a bearing,injector ,exhaust leak for example.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:37 AM   #7
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Phone call...

...it's Frick & Frack the Tappet Brothers.

Don't drive like my brother...

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote