Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2016, 01:53 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianacole View Post
What part of Colorado are you in? I use Berg Performance (indy) to service my Boxster and they've been fantastic. I ended up having to go to Las Vegas for mine as the Boxsters around here seem way overpriced.

Oh, and none of my cars have the front plate on it.
South Metro. I've heard good things about Auto Works in Littleton. Heard of them?

How many tickets have you gotten for not having a front plate? :-)

RoughDobermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:02 PM   #22

I have not heard of them ... I also used Autobahn Premier Service around Evans and Santa Fe with good results (Randy and Todd are good people). I also used APS for servicing my previous '02 GTI 1.8T.

I've gotten one ticket for not having a license plate, after parking downtown at a meter, about 10 years ago, in an FJ40.
ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianacole View Post
I have not heard of them ... I also used Autobahn Premier Service around Evans and Santa Fe with good results (Randy and Todd are good people). I also used APS for servicing my previous '02 GTI 1.8T.

I've gotten one ticket for not having a license plate, after parking downtown at a meter, about 10 years ago, in an FJ40.
Heh. My present vehicle is a 2002 GTI 1.8T. I'll check out APS, thanks.

The 2003 Boxster is listed at $18,995. That seems a bit... pricey.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:48 AM   #24

I've also got my eye(s) on a 2005 Boxster with 61,000 on it. That's a 987, right? Same IMS bearing issues, I presume?
Old 03-31-2016, 03:55 AM   #25

Garage
987 does have the IMSB. From what I've read on this forum, 2005 is a transition year and engines can have old smaller style (serviceable without splitting the case) or newer Large bearing.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:10 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
987 does have the IMSB. From what I've read on this forum, 2005 is a transition year and engines can have old smaller style (serviceable without splitting the case) or newer Large bearing.
Of course!

Thanks
Old 03-31-2016, 12:54 PM   #27

What do you guys think of $18,000 for a 2005 987 with 62,000 on it?
Old 03-31-2016, 03:45 PM   #28

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
Well if the IMS bearing was just changed, then I wouldn't think the rear main seal would be leaking. This is because the RMS is directly above the IMS bearing. So if it was leaking when they changed the IMS then they would have changed the seal as well. I would bet that the IMS has not been changed. Furthermore the heavy feeling clutch is most likely due to it being on its last legs. Most of the time the clutch, IMS and RMS are replaced at the same time since most of the labor is taking the transmission off to get to all these parts. These issues alone would make me walk away from this car, not to mention all of the others.
I've noticed that my 99 clutch feels heavier than any other vehicle I have owned. After nearly 3 years, my clutch is fine, just heavy.

I am concerned that you still have an oil seep from the main crank seal or something else. See if you can find out who did the IMS replacement and verify with them. As times are tough in Colorado with the low oil/gas prices and the oil/gas industry is suffering, so are the vehicle repair shops and they charged for everything. They are short business, expendable income spenders. Some of the stuff they listed may be borderline or illegit. Just saying.

I bought mine from a Denver Dealer three years ago and the climate didn't jack with any of my hardware.
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:02 PM   #29

I'd grab the 05 at $18,000 over the 03 at almost $19,000 - depending on PPI of course.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:57 AM   #30

And now a 2006 Boxster with 62,500 on it for $15,000. I can't decide if I like the 986 or 987 more.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:06 AM   #31

Talking considering buying a 2002 boxster

I bought a 2002 about three months ago with 62000 miles. the car was near showroom condition, smooth idle and a nice ride, private party. after purchase I found out about the IMS issue. did some research and talked the Porsche dealer service writer. found an excellent Porsche mechanic and did the IMS for $2500.oo after paying $8500 for the car. well worth the extra cost since I also found in the repair some leaky seals, which were repaired at the time. the car runs great, still at about or below market and sooo much fun. cobalt blue with blue leather interior and chrome 17" wheels. I would suggest getting anything below a 2006, since the 2006 to 2008 IMS are not serviceable. look for something with as few issues as possible.
enjoy

boxstertoy
boxstertoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:24 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxstertoy View Post
I bought a 2002 about three months ago with 62000 miles. the car was near showroom condition, smooth idle and a nice ride, private party. after purchase I found out about the IMS issue. did some research and talked the Porsche dealer service writer. found an excellent Porsche mechanic and did the IMS for $2500.oo after paying $8500 for the car. well worth the extra cost since I also found in the repair some leaky seals, which were repaired at the time. the car runs great, still at about or below market and sooo much fun. cobalt blue with blue leather interior and chrome 17" wheels. I would suggest getting anything below a 2006, since the 2006 to 2008 IMS are not serviceable. look for something with as few issues as possible.
enjoy

boxstertoy
The IMS is not an issue on the 06-08 Boxster, unless you plan on tracking the car. Less than a 1% failure rate.
Shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:38 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
The IMS is not an issue on the 06-08 Boxster, unless you plan on tracking the car. Less than a 1% failure rate.
I was just perusing your thread. What is this PDF that you read and what are the details, please? Thanks.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:54 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughDobermann View Post
I was just perusing your thread. What is this PDF that you read and what are the details, please? Thanks.
Raby sent me an email with their results with the 06-08. I have no idea how to get it into a post. They have found that with normal driving the larger ims bearings are fine, and they agree with the findings from Porsche that as long as the car is not tracked and ran at over 5000 RPM continually like in a race setting the bearings have a less than 1% fail rate. They also found the exact opposite with the 05 and older modles. When tacked and ran hard they almost never fail, when street drive however the fail rate is much higher.

I emailed them at info@flat6innovations.com and they sent me the pdf.
Shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:49 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Raby sent me an email with their results with the 06-08. I have no idea how to get it into a post. They have found that with normal driving the larger ims bearings are fine, and they agree with the findings from Porsche that as long as the car is not tracked and ran at over 5000 RPM continually like in a race setting the bearings have a less than 1% fail rate. They also found the exact opposite with the 05 and older modles. When tacked and ran hard they almost never fail, when street drive however the fail rate is much higher.

I emailed them at info@flat6innovations.com and they sent me the pdf.
That's great information, thank you!
Old 04-03-2016, 01:30 PM   #36

I flew in to see the Boxster I'm hoping to buy Tuesday. It's a 2006 with 64,000 miles on it. I went and took a peek today since the dealership is closed and saw it. Found a few minor things just with an outside visual:

1) The lug nuts are all rusted. Is this normal?

2) The clear covers over the front fog lights (I guess that's what they are) are very cloudy, looks like from the inside. Are those easy to remove/replace?

I couldn't open the vehicle, so is there anything I should be aware of interior-wise which are known issues on the 2006?

Thanks!

Last edited by RoughDobermann; 04-03-2016 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:08 PM   #37

1. Rusty lug bolts are not atypical, I've seen plenty of discussions regarding painting lug nuts. Just know that buying new lug bolts is not a $20 trip to your local Autozone.

2. Foggy lamp covers are not unusual. They can be redone, either by you or professionally. Figure less than $100 to have them done.

3. In the interior, look for gummy radio knobs and chipped up climate control levers. The knobs are easily replaced (>$20 each) while you're kind of stuck with the climate control levers.

Just keep in mind that although the mileage is low, you're still looking at a 10 year old used car.

I hope it works out for you!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:18 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
1. Rusty lug bolts are not atypical, I've seen plenty of discussions regarding painting lug nuts. Just know that buying new lug bolts is not a $20 trip to your local Autozone.

2. Foggy lamp covers are not unusual. They can be redone, either by you or professionally. Figure less than $100 to have them done.

3. In the interior, look for gummy radio knobs and chipped up climate control levers. The knobs are easily replaced (>$20 each) while you're kind of stuck with the climate control levers.

Just keep in mind that although the mileage is low, you're still looking at a 10 year old used car.

I hope it works out for you!
Brilliant, thanks mate! The headlights looked a little foggy too. Just looked up the price for replacing them (just for fun)... LOL, I guess I'll get used to exorbitant part prices!

I can't wait for the test drive and PPI.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:20 PM   #39

They obviously cleaned up the nuts for this picture.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:28 PM   #40
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

My two cents....

.....buy a 2003 or 2004.

They have the glass rear window with defrost, a real dipstick, and the improved front and rear styling and lower drag cd, with refined spoiler.

They get the glove box, body colored air intakes, rear bumperettes, and rear screens on lower fascia.

They are the most refined and best built of the first ten cars. Just send her to Raby for the IMS solution and call it a day.

Thats what I did and I'm loving life.

Good Luck.

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote