Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2016, 12:12 PM   #1

Need new brakes - which manufacturer?

So I need new brakes for my 2000 Boxster S. I was gonna buy the parts online from partsgeek and install them - ive done brakes before but what all do I need to order? rotors, pads, and sensor cable right? Here is a link to parts geek - what brands would you recommend?

some of the brands they have for rotors are :zimmerman, centric, balo, ATE, sebro slotted, pagid, and beck arnley.

some of the brands they have for pads are: textar, EBC, beck arnley, centric, pagid, pbr, akebono, npn, trw, bosch, and mintex.

there are also a few that make the brake sensor.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:47 PM   #2

You only need to replace any sensors that have actually been broken. If your brake wear light isn't on then they are all good and can be re-used.

I used coated Zimmerman rotors with Brembo pads on the front and Textars on the rear. No complaints.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:51 PM   #3

As a base for comparison and to get Interchange part numbers, try the Rock Auto site/catalog?
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:05 PM   #4
On the slippery slope

Garage
Why dont you just ask:
How long is a piece of string? It will have as many answers

What to use really depends on what kind of driving you are going to be doing
Street, AX , track???

Rotors a bit less dependant on type of driving and (I am sure I am about to get flamed!) they pretty much will all work fine. I can personally recommend Meyle rotors and they are a great deal on ebay. A pair for the front I paid ! $85 and the rears were $~75 for the PAIR!

You don't need to spend big $$% on rotors. Drink whatever kool-aid you want, especially about rotors made in China (where most are now made anyway) The Meyle ones I got are fully coated and while Meyle is a German company and an OE supplier to many German car companies, they are (shudder) made in China. There are all qualities of manufacturing in China from stupidly cheap and crappy to world class. A well know company will spec them to the quality they want

As far as brake pads, well you need to specify what kind of driving as street pads don't work well on the track and AX and track pads don't work well for street use and can actually be dangerous on teh street. There are some good higher end street pads that are trackable like EBC RedStuff.

I would recommend at least for street use to use the same brake pads on both axles. Different pads will grip differently and could affect the factory set front/rear brake bias

Get back with what you are looking for and maybe you can get some good recommendations

Other things to take into consideration is your tolerance to brake dust and cleaning your wheels often

If the sensors are unbroken, there is no reason not to reuse them. same with the brake hardware
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 03-22-2016 at 04:55 PM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Why dont you just ask:
How long is a piece of string? It will have as many answers

What to use really depends on what kind of driving you are going to be doing
Street, AX , track???

Rotors a bit less dependant on type of driving and (I am sure I am about to get flamed!) they pretty much will all work fine. I can personally recommend Meyle rotors and they are a great deal on ebay. A pair for the front I paid ! $85 and the rears were $~75 for the PAIR!

You don't need to spend big $$% on rotors. Drink whatever kool-aid you want, especially about rotors made in China (where most are now made anyway) The Meyle ones I got are fully coated and while Meyle is a German company and an OE supplier to many German car companies, they are (shudder) made in China. There are all qualities of manufacturing in China from stupidly cheap and crappy to world class. A well know company will spec them to the quality they want

As far as brake pads, well you need to specify what kind of driving as street pads don't work well on the track and AX and track pads don't work well for street use and can actually be dangerous on teh street. There are some good higher end street p[ads that are trackable like EBC RedStuff.

I would recommend at least for street use to use the same brake pads on both axles. Different pads will grip differently and could affect the factory set front/rear brake bias

Get back with what you are looking for and maybe you can get some good recommendations

Other things to take into consideration is your tolerance to brake dust and cleaning your wheels often

If the sensors are unbroken, there is no reason not to reuse them. same with the brake hardware

Thank you for responding - I primarily use my boxster as a weekend street drive car. take the mrs out for an afternoon in the country driving with the top down - I do enjoy driving fast occasionally but have no intention currently to track the car. my wheels are silver and I hate brake dust but its not like I think it would be worth a whole bunch of extra money if that was the case.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:53 PM   #6

Brake pads

EBC Red Stuff , I have used these on my Boxster and my E36 and like them.

EBC Red Stuff
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:15 PM   #7

If you decide to go EBC red I have a brand new set of backs that I got by mistake, I will sell for a good price.

Centric makes good ceramic street pads as well, I run them on several other vehicles, although nit the boxster. They make an OE formula as well.

I have used their brake hardware kits on the boxster, way cheaper than Porsche

ELECTRONIC CATALOG - LOOKUP BY APPLICATION
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:27 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by newob View Post
So I need new brakes for my 2000 Boxster S. I was gonna buy the parts online from partsgeek and install them - ive done brakes before but what all do I need to order? rotors, pads, and sensor cable right? Here is a link to parts geek - what brands would you recommend?

some of the brands they have for rotors are :zimmerman, centric, balo, ATE, sebro slotted, pagid, and beck arnley.

some of the brands they have for pads are: textar, EBC, beck arnley, centric, pagid, pbr, akebono, npn, trw, bosch, and mintex.

there are also a few that make the brake sensor.
I took a chance and installed the super cheap ones on ebay, drilled/slotted with ceramic pads. All I use mine for is daily driver, casual driving, no track. Two years in with no issues. $214 for everything. minus wear sensors but all of my sensors were intact.
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:50 PM   #9
Artist, 986S tinkerer

I just installed Meyle disks with Redstuff pads. Seems to be a consensus for price/ quality/low dust. Mostly street, some track.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:24 PM   #10

One thing to add about the sensors....
buy a couple just in case!
As mentioned, if not broken, they are reusable. If you happen to break one, it's nice to have a new one on hand. You can buy then for under $10 each.

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote