Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2016, 01:24 PM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako1985 View Post
I drive a truck to work about 100 miles round trip. Was planning on using the Boxster but now worried about getting stranded more than the poor mileage of the truck.

I understand it's an old European sports car but the way people list all these problems it seems more worth it to buy a new more expensive model (non box) Porsche since I'll be spending the money anyway on all these repairs
There are plenty of guys who DD theirs. Any German car requires a little extra attention and maintenance. The german parts are expensive. If you think the new Porsches are different, you're entirely missing the point. They require just as much maintenance and upkeep as these cars do. If you plan for 2k a year in maintenance and keep up with the services you'll be just fine. Less than that if you're willing to work on it yourself. If you want a car that's going to be easier on upkeep, buy a Honda civic and avoid porsche, vw, bmw, audi and the like.

These cars are worth the fuss, but you need to understand what you're getting into. You're buying a car that originally cost over 50k, and now they start at even more. They share parts with the even more expensive 911s that are their big Brothers. It shouldn't surprise you that they are more expensive to maintain than an 18k dollar Nissan Sentra.

Last edited by jdraupp; 02-12-2016 at 01:26 PM.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:27 PM   #22
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I think you should see if you can get a PPI from an independent mechanic that is familiar with Boxsters. With you being in the Boston area you have many Indy's to choose from. I bought my car for around $9000 5 years ago. Have I spent $5000 dollars on maintenance and upgrades since I bought it? Sure but it has been worth every penny. If you get it for $6500 then you have a $2500 head start on me lol. A junk one can definitely be a money pit, so get the PPI before you buy.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:28 PM   #23

Hi mako! Sorry man, I think everyone is just trying to prepare you for a few hefty-ish repair bills just in case. It seems most have had to pay a few grand up front on an older Boxster to get it up to snuff. My daily driver '99 was bought with 124,000 miles and no records or history whatsoever. I paid $4500 for the car, plus $6,000 in repairs and maintenance over a few months because there's no such thing as a $4500 Boxster. However, since that money was spent, the car has been one of the most solid, reliable, crazy fun cars I've ever owned for a $10,500 investment. And I drive the absolute &@#% out of it every day.
You're starting in a much better place with 78,000 miles and the other perks the dealer is offering, and $6500 is a good price for the car!
However, there's no such thing as a $6500 Boxster either, so you'll have to go in expecting it will need at least a few little things. It's just something to keep in mind, that's all.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:41 PM   #24

Thanks for the input, the reason I was looking at boxsters in the first place was to have a fun second car that was a convertible. That could also be used as a DD also during winter time. I liked that fact that no boxsters seem to rust as I would be driving on salty roads.

And this might make people cry but the Boxster would be odd man out of the garage year round based on value.
Mako1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:57 PM   #25
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako1985 View Post
...And this might make people cry but the Boxster would be odd man out of the garage year round based on value.
Mako, don't tell anyone, but I've got five Boxsters outside at the moment and a 93 Del Sol in my garage.

I do have covers though.