Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2016, 08:46 PM   #1

No Boxster for a while for me

Was working and had been having left knee pain, got so bad I went to see my regular GP and was diagnosed with hyper extended hamstring. Steroid shot and off I went. I got though one day at work but the next (I work in hospitals and clinics as a bio-med)day at work while going down a hallway my knee got tight on one step and popped loudly and down I went. Luckily a nurse saw me hit the floor and came to my rescue with a chair and then straight to the ER. Next day at a sports medicine clinic and I have to be off my feet for 4 days. X rays showed good cartilage for my age but some calcification....but they are not sure why this is happening. My first time in my 59 years on crutches and I hate it.

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:30 PM   #2

Try one of those electronic pulse massagers. I went through something similar a few years back in a motorcycle accident. Helped me a lot alleviate some of the pain and keep the hamstring loose.

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:14 PM   #3

Garage
Sorry to hear that about knee Dwight. Here's to a speedy recovery so you can push that clutch pedal.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:37 AM   #4

Hope you get a quick recovery!

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:16 AM   #5
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
As one 59 year old to another, and the spouse of a medical professional, here's to a speedy recovery! At least it happened during the winter, although your Box probably doesn't have to really hibernate in AL.
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:35 AM   #6

Garage
A pop then you fell huh? Well, a few questions:
1) Did it hurt after the pop or was there any pain preceding it?
2) Any warmth or point tenderness following the fall?
3) Were you able to walk at all within the next hour or so after falling / are you able to bear touch toe weight with the crutches?
4) Are you currently feeling any laxity in the joint?

Your description as of now sounds like a possible tear of the ACL or PCL... I'd have either a sports doc or orthopaedic doc take a look at the knee. Best test is an MRI because it helps us see the soft tissue much better than xray and CT.

I've come to search for and taken so much advice from this forum for my car I figured this is my chance to give a little back hahah!
ttmedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:44 AM   #7

Yes it hurt plenty after the fall, putting a sock on the left foot was unbearable. At the Sports Medicine place I was seen by two Orthopedic Doc's...as I said they could not find the "Smoking Gun"

I was told to file this as Workman's Comp because it happened on the job, I really felt once I did this I was treated like a second rate person....if that made sense
Old 02-07-2016, 06:40 AM   #8

Garage
Good luck Dwight. I don't know how workman's comp works there, but in Texas, it is simply awful. My wife went through it several years ago and it was a nightmare. Your last comment completely makes sense.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttmedical View Post
Best test is an MRI because it helps us see the soft tissue much better than xray and CT.

I've come to search for and taken so much advice from this forum for my car I figured this is my chance to give a little back hahah!
Great advice and it is always cool to give back. IMHO, after beating my body to hell for over 60 years (& suffering the consequences) I know first hand the only way to know what's going on in there is through an MRI. Caught early, knee problems and knee surgeries are fairly straightforward with complete recovery in short order. I had my clutch knee repaired in 2013 (59 years old at the time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post

I was told to file this as Workman's Comp because it happened on the job, I really felt once I did this I was treated like a second rate person....if that made sense
That not only makes sense, that felling of being treated as a second rate person is real. Monday call the doc's office and ask that they do an MRI. They will need permission from your work comp adjuster. I would also call your work comp adjuster (either your employer will have their own or they will out source to a third party) and let them know you want to have an MRI.

If you have a union or employee association that you are a member of, call them for advise.

No one like police officers or lawyers... until they need one. You may need a lawyer that serializes in work comp cases to assist you with this. Their fees are often covered by your employers work comp insurance. If you don't get approved for the MRI in short order I would seek out help from a lawyer.

All of this sounds like overkill, but it's not. The injury you described will not, in all likelihood, cure itself without some type of procedure.

I believe that ttmedical (who is obviously a medical professional) will agree, if you can have your injury diagnosed correctly early and treated right, it will save you time and pain in the future. We have some great medical professionals and procedures in this country that our insurance companies and work comp will block to save money. Ugh.... I usually don't climb up on a soapbox... sorry.

Hang tough pal and keep us posted.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:17 AM   #10

After having surgery on both knees and subsequent continuing problems with them due to an aging body, I've used the last three years to migrate to automatic transmission in all 3 cars. Fortunately, they all have paddle shifters.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
Was working and had been having left knee pain, got so bad I went to see my regular GP and was diagnosed with hyper extended hamstring.
Ouch man, not a good news but sure you'll be alright with a bit of time off. Take it easy bud.

If you think this may help, I am happy to send over my personal acupuncture officers. They are twin sisters and really really good at what they do. Affordable also

Old 02-07-2016, 06:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Ouch man, not a good news but sure you'll be alright with a bit of time off. Take it easy bud.

If you think this may help, I am happy to send over my personal acupuncture officers. They are twin sisters and really really good at what they do. Affordable also

My wife would hate to see those two working on me, It might take days for the coroner to get the smile off my face however.

Thanks for all the well wishes folks
Old 02-08-2016, 06:15 AM   #13

I say take some time off and try and enjoy it. Going to sleep and waking up when you want is a wonderful thing! I hope you get better soon
Old 02-08-2016, 06:29 AM   #14
On the slippery slope

Garage
That really sucks Dwight.
Hope things start getting better soon

I do like Fred's nurses !
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:35 PM   #15

Garage
You could try glucosemine + chondrotin. I have two bad knees that really started playing up a little over 10 years ago. That concoction gave my knees another lease on life. It seems to lubricate the joint, the creaky sound when sitting down was gone after a couple of weeks. Menisci are going too, nothing helps there except replacement. There are some fancy surgery robots that can machine some nice holes in the bone for an artificial meniscus. Trying to postpone the inevitable for as long as possible, though.
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:20 AM   #16

Garage
Sorry to hear this news Dwight! Get well!
Old 02-09-2016, 11:59 AM   #17

I'm going through the same thing right now with my right knee. I got hurt in 1990 from a football injury and just this past Sunday I went to the hospital because my knee pain was so bad and they told me I may need a knee replacement and I'm 43 years old. Going in tomorrow to the Dr's office to get my first steroid shot..ugh. I have also put the Boxster off to the side because I cant crawl in there without being in pain. Getting older sucks !
Old 02-09-2016, 12:18 PM   #18

Getting Old does Suck

and I am 59 going on 60, I count my lucky stars that the X Ray showed a good amount of cartilage and I am in no way in need of a new knee (so far)

I had the steroid shot in the kneecap last Friday afternoon, I had been told all my life how terrible this shot was, don't sweat it..no big deal . They rub on a local and let it sit for a while and the shot was not a big deal at all. get netter soon.

Dwight
Old 02-09-2016, 04:25 PM   #19

I totally sympathize. I blow out my lower back every few years and end up spending a couple of months on a cane and being driven around in a sedan! Ugh! It does make you appreciate all the little stuff you do every day that you take for granted (like shifting around in a chair without having to make a complex game plan first). Electro stimulation did the most good out of anything, and now they have those portable personal muscle stimulators that you can take with you anywhere.
Best wishes for quick healing!