Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2006, 10:39 AM   #1

Cayman Value

Not sure if this was previously discussed in this forum or not, but I believe the Cayman may have some issues in keeping its pricing/value.

Here are just a couple of my observations:

- The Cayman is essentially a Boxster coupe but is more expensive than a Boxster - this is counter to the industry, usually the coupe is less expensive than the equivalent convertible.

- Yes, the Cayman has more HP, but only 15 more than the S - does that really justify the pricing?

- Assumming they come out with a non-S version of the Cayman - how is that going to fit into the mix?

- If you stack a Cayman with options etc.. it comes in pretty close to a 911, so many buyers would probably just jump up to the 911 (although I know there is a mid-engine argument here)

- Local dealers seem to be having issues selling the Cayman, even though Porsche claims sales are above expectations.

I think it is a beautiful car, but personally I wouldn't pull the trigger on one b/c I think the pricing will be forced down eventually. Either that, or Porsche needs to step up the HP to justify the incremental cost.

Just my thoughts.

Old 05-10-2006, 11:00 AM   #2

We have chatted about this before and I think you have done a very good job of capturing many of the comments that have been made.

It is going to be interesting indeed!

Thanks

Old 05-10-2006, 11:33 AM   #3

I'm counting on those things... So when we get to about 2008 or 2009 and Cayman values are in the toilet I'll be able to park one next to my Box on the cheap

Honestly, I'm not sure why anyone would want a base 911 over a Cayman except for the "prestige" of owning a 911. The Cayman is much sexier, and more of a driver's car IMHO.

911s don't do much for me. Cayman has me fighting the urge to sell everything I own for the down payment.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBoxster
911s don't do much for me. Cayman has me fighting the urge to sell everything I own for the down payment.

I hear ya!

KRZ

Voghtland 30-50mm Coilovers
19x8.5 x 19x10 Forgline rims
Magnaflow Exhaust
Old 05-10-2006, 12:21 PM   #5

the interesting thing about the cayman is that aesthetically it is a boxster hardtop, but athletically (mechanically, if you will) it's a 911. i don't recall off hand what percentage of its components are "shared" (in porsche lingo) with the 911, but it is significantly greater than those components "shared" with the boxster.

if the threads floating around here are correct, though, about a 3.4 l version of the 987S for 07, then i could see cayman values for those currently on the road taking a major dump. it seems pretty obvious - so much so, that i'd be baffled that porsche would make that oversight (ford, sure, porsche, not so sure!)

maybe the thing to keep in mind is that, unlike other car manufacturers who use the same platform for a bunch of their cars (and trucks) and recycle engines because of a slightly more zombie-like consumer, etc, porsche may really count on the fact that it's target consumer is highly attuned to both the physical and mechanical subtities that separate each model. thus, even a 3.4 boxster with its boxster appearance and componentry will be an altogether different beast from a 3.4 hardhat wearing pseudo-twin. in my world i'd call them fraternal twins!

on the other hand, if the value of the cayman plummets, some of us may have to really decide if we like girls who bear all and go topless at a moment's notice or girls who like to keep the package wrapped
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
Old 05-10-2006, 12:55 PM   #6
KronixSpeed

lucky americans!!

someone explain as to why in canada the cayman S is $83,900 and in america it is
$58,900. convert it and it still is very odd. $58,900 to canadian dollars is only $64,831...... even if we pay extra export fees it still should not cost canadians to buy a car at this price. i dont think that canada will have great sales. only problem is that most of them that will go in to buy the cayman will not realize that it is sooo cheap in the states. and if its like BMW and you cant export a car in its first year, then the cayman S will have huge price issues i think. correct me if i am wrong. why would you buy the car in canada, id wait one year and goto buffalo and get my cayman S for $10,000 less if not more. so the price indeed shall come down!!!!

it is a grey market, i have exported cars into america when the us dollar was very strong a couple of years back and americans were gettting 1 year old BMW's for almost $6000 less.

if i could id sell my boxster in a second, and go over to the states and buy a cayman S and come back here and sell it, and eventually after i do this a couple of times, id be able to afford a 911 turbo convertible which is the ultimate car, for u 911 haters.............lol/jokes

seeeeu

Old 05-10-2006, 01:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KronixSpeed
someone explain as to why in canada the cayman S is $83,900 and in america it is $58,900.
Um, last time I checked Canada is in America. You're doing what every one of my Canadian friends tell me frustrates them!
Old 05-10-2006, 01:37 PM   #8

Hi,

We're all assuming that Porsche did in fact properly place the Cayman in their lineup. They could have made a mistake.

The Cayman is really the Boxster everyone wanted - mid-engined ability w/ 911-like Power (they may even be a match power/weight wise).

I seriously doubt that a true niche exists between the Boxster and 911. I think Porsche would have been better advised to label the Cayman a Boxster Coupe, maybe RS or some such moniker and justify the price with the bigger engine.

But as it is, I think it's going to have an uphill battle to stake it's own Territory and Customer Base. This is where, IMHO, the depreciation will take the hit. Only time will tell...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
Old 05-10-2006, 01:46 PM   #9
KronixSpeed

wierdo!!!!

your a wierdo, your reply has nothing to do with what i am saying!!!! don't post just to get your post count up, no trophy at the end, it does not end...........

"Um, last time I checked Canada is in America. You're doing what every one of my Canadian friends tell me frustrates them!"

if you were a smart american you would bring your 1 year old cayman to canada and sell it and make a killing............

seeeu randall n please don't reply i have no use for u

Old 05-10-2006, 02:21 PM   #10

No, there is no trophy at the end, but I think you are in the running for the "Strangest Canadian to ever post trophy".

Quote:
Originally Posted by KronixSpeed
your a wierdo, your reply has nothing to do with what i am saying!!!! don't post just to get your post count up, no trophy at the end, it does not end...........

"Um, last time I checked Canada is in America. You're doing what every one of my Canadian friends tell me frustrates them!"

if you were a smart american you would bring your 1 year old cayman to canada and sell it and make a killing............

seeeu randall n please don't reply i have no use for u
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Old 05-10-2006, 02:39 PM   #11

Hi,

Easy does it... I'm a big fan of Randall, but I'm not a big fan of Canada Bashing, they're the best neighbors anyone could ask for and have always been, the same may not be said of us!

Between us, we have the longest undefended border in the World, think of what you're taxes would be like if we had to start positioning assets there. Besides, I'm in Minnesota, piss them off and they'd be on my doorstep by noon!

And, during the Iran Hostage incident, the Canadian Embassy hid and sheltered a number of American diplomats in their Tehran embassy at great personal risk to themselves and their families, we don't give them enough credit. PEACE!...

Old 05-10-2006, 02:48 PM   #12
bmussatti

Yes, easy on Randall!

To add to Jim's point, people should read Ken Follett's true story about the Iran hostages- "On Wings of Eagles". Great book. You can learn a lot about Ross Perot too!

Old 05-10-2006, 02:51 PM   #13

Three cheers for Randall!!!

MN, Canadian loose immigration laws and a lackadasical (sorry for the spelling) attitude towards immigration is going to cause us our biggest heartache. I love Canadians and I do my flight training in Toronto every year. My job deals with border issues and we are in for a big one at some point. Definately our allies, but sooner rather than later our borders need to be closed both in the North and South.

Randall, we are here for you buddy.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Old 05-10-2006, 03:36 PM   #14

I would go with Jim on this one. For once, the Porsche folks stepped in it.

We shall see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

We're all assuming that Porsche did in fact properly place the Cayman in their lineup. They could have made a mistake.

The Cayman is really the Boxster everyone wanted - mid-engined ability w/ 911-like Power (they may even be a match power/weight wise).

I seriously doubt that a true niche exists between the Boxster and 911. I think Porsche would have been better advised to label the Cayman a Boxster Coupe, maybe RS or some such moniker and justify the price with the bigger engine.

But as it is, I think it's going to have an uphill battle to stake it's own Territory and Customer Base. This is where, IMHO, the depreciation will take the hit. Only time will tell...

Old 05-10-2006, 03:39 PM   #15

I must be missing something here. Why did this guy dump on Randall, what did he say that was so upsetting?

Someone miss there meds today?

Old 05-10-2006, 03:48 PM   #16

quick question - so, just like a canadian quarter looks different than a US quarter and has less value - would a canadian cayman be slower and a lil goofier looking?

19" Carrera S Wheels
Schnell Short Shifter
De-Ambered

Old 05-10-2006, 04:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach schnell
the interesting thing about the cayman is that aesthetically it is a boxster hardtop, but athletically (mechanically, if you will) it's a 911. i don't recall off hand what percentage of its components are "shared" (in porsche lingo) with the 911, but it is significantly greater than those components "shared" with the boxster.
The Boxster and Cayman both share about 30 percent of their parts with the Carrera. The Cayman rolls on the boxster's suspension, floorpan, etc. The only thing on the Cayman that is more "Carrera-ish" than the Boxster is the engine. With all that in mind, I'm not sure I understand your statement that the Cayman shares more parts with the Carrera than it does with the Boxster.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBoxster
I'm counting on those things... So when we get to about 2008 or 2009 and Cayman values are in the toilet I'll be able to park one next to my Box on the cheap

Honestly, I'm not sure why anyone would want a base 911 over a Cayman except for the "prestige" of owning a 911. The Cayman is much sexier, and more of a driver's car IMHO.

don't hold your breath. The CaymanS is going to be a VERY POPULAR second hand car. THe less they make the more it becomes a better option for that second and third owner. But the 1st owner is going to take a beating. Well all new Porsche owners take a beating so its more of the same.

our local Porsche dealer loaned out a couple during a recent Autocross and many a 911/GT2/GT3 owners after taking a ride (one lap shoot out) were licking their chops at the idea of getting their hands on a second hand model for racing. In other words, Good luck getting your hands on a CaymanS in a few years. Porsche owner from all over the spectrum 944928,914,Boxster,911,Gt3,Gt2,Turbo, Cayenne want that little mid engine coupe...for the right price. I think if Porsche hadn't gotten greedy they could have sold allot of these to the non-911 loving crowd.

on you 911 vs. CaymanS take, I disagree on looks completely.
The 2002-2004 911 is the only 911 I thought that could never be confused with a VW.
a 911 C4S is at the top of my 911 list of nicest looking.
The Cayman is very nice looking but strikes as kind of well not really agressive looking enough for all that performance. Still too cute looking from the front.
Certainly not aggresive enough looking for the price!

I'll take that $70K and get me one of dem 2nd hand 911 Turbos!
A true exotic like the 911 Turbo for under $70K and less than 30K miles???

That car is going to hold value like a NYC apartment bought in the 90's.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-Silver-Porsche-911-Turbo-w-Aluminum-Brk-Shifter_W0QQitemZ4638654634QQcategoryZ10156QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 05-10-2006 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
The Boxster and Cayman both share about 30 percent of their parts with the Carrera. The Cayman rolls on the boxster's suspension, floorpan, etc. The only thing on the Cayman that is more "Carrera-ish" than the Boxster is the engine. With all that in mind, I'm not sure I understand your statement that the Cayman shares more parts with the Carrera than it does with the Boxster.
there is something i've read or a promo video somewhere that indicated a larger majority of 911 componentry in the cayman - i'll look for it and post it

19" Carrera S Wheels
Schnell Short Shifter
De-Ambered

Old 05-10-2006, 07:18 PM   #20

This has to be....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
Closed Thread