Thread: Cayman Value
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2006, 10:39 AM   #1
drburton

Cayman Value

Not sure if this was previously discussed in this forum or not, but I believe the Cayman may have some issues in keeping its pricing/value.

Here are just a couple of my observations:

- The Cayman is essentially a Boxster coupe but is more expensive than a Boxster - this is counter to the industry, usually the coupe is less expensive than the equivalent convertible.

- Yes, the Cayman has more HP, but only 15 more than the S - does that really justify the pricing?

- Assumming they come out with a non-S version of the Cayman - how is that going to fit into the mix?

- If you stack a Cayman with options etc.. it comes in pretty close to a 911, so many buyers would probably just jump up to the 911 (although I know there is a mid-engine argument here)

- Local dealers seem to be having issues selling the Cayman, even though Porsche claims sales are above expectations.

I think it is a beautiful car, but personally I wouldn't pull the trigger on one b/c I think the pricing will be forced down eventually. Either that, or Porsche needs to step up the HP to justify the incremental cost.

Just my thoughts.