Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2016, 09:36 AM   #41

[QUOTE=lkchris;481042]Bad idea---then your rear fog lights are indistinguishable from brake lights. There's a reason they come that way.QUOTE]

In a driving culture that understands a single red lamp in the back, I'd agree.

However, in the US if you have your fog light on people will tell you that you have a bulb burned out. They just don't know German cars have this feature. I was even pulled over by a cop in Houston and he didn't believe me. Pity I didn't have my manual in the car to prove it to him. After I asked him to look at my turn signals and brake lights he let me go and said, "get that fixed or don't use your fog lamps." Idiot.

The PO of my boxster wired up both lights for the fogs. I only seem to use them for one reason since I don't drive my boxster in foul weather, especially fog where I could get hit for not being seen.

The reason for the double-fog light use is excellent: When the village idiot on the freeway tailgates me and I'm already going 85 or even 95 mph (to prove to me that his Hyundai or truck is as fast as my Porsche) I turn them on and leave them on and he thinks I'm slamming on my brakes. He backs off and I never had to reduce my speed.

Works great. Give it a try.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 01-22-2016 at 09:38 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:04 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
Bad idea---then your rear fog lights are indistinguishable from brake lights. There's a reason they come that way.

Was a passenger in a car in Germany one time that got flashed because the driver hadn't turned off the rear fog light since the snow had stopped.
I agree, I think most cars with rear fog lights have 2 separate switches, one for front only and one for front and rear together? Pretty sure that is what my '03 S switch does.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:26 AM   #43

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Is there a post or link somewhere that shows how to enable the second rear fog light?

I would be interested in doing that.

A personal pet is people who drive with their rear fog lights on when there is no fog, rain or any visibility limiting weather. I don't like when people do that with their front fog lights either, but can understand wanting a little more forward visibility with the low beams on.
I hope it upsets people. I want every single idiot on the street to see my midget car. I'm not one of those people who says "I've got insurance", I'd rather my car not be wrecked in the first place. Too many retards are allowed on the street. Not even a week ago the car behind me at a light was rear ended. The car behind me came within a single inch of hitting me. If you don't see my super bright rear lights and still hit me, then you don't deserve to be behind the wheel.

Anyway yes there is. On this site I believe to. It's simple just running a wire from the left side to the right side.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2016, 10:37 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Someone had shot the cluster! From the angle of the bullet, someone in the driver's seat had done the shooting.
Did he appear to be aiming for the Check Engine Light? I could understand his frustration if he had had multiple CEL's in a short period of time. Shooting the cluster was probably counter productive.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:04 AM   #45

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
Did he appear to be aiming for the Check Engine Light? I could understand his frustration if he had had multiple CEL's in a short period of time. Shooting the cluster was probably counter productive.
Esp when it flashes... "Gah I know your detecting knock, I can feel/hear it as the car sputters away, you don't gotta remind me a billion times" hehe jp

Old 01-22-2016, 11:08 AM   #46

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
An Umbrella....ahaaaaa, so driving in the rain is endorsed after all.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:25 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
I agree, I think most cars with rear fog lights have 2 separate switches, one for front only and one for front and rear together? Pretty sure that is what my '03 S switch does.
Yes.

With low beams on, pull the switch out 1 click, just the front fogs come on.

Pull out 2 clicks, the front and rear fogs come on. (Just driver's side on rear; the other side in Britain).
Tcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:26 PM   #48

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcar View Post
Yes.

With low beams on, pull the switch out 1 click, just the front fogs come on.

Pull out 2 clicks, the front and rear fogs come on. (Just driver's side on rear; the other side in Britain).
Rear fogs stay on through high beams also. And it's super easy to enable both. I feel it's odd with only one, people thinking you got a blown bulb. Things like that irritate me on even other people's cars, I wanna buy them bulbs to fix their stuff hehe

Old 02-01-2016, 04:55 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Rear fogs stay on through high beams also. And it's super easy to enable both. I feel it's odd with only one, people thinking you got a blown bulb.
You know, you really don't use them except when driving in thick fog or snow, and if it saves someone coming up from behind you from hitting you, they'll likely not care much if it's just one. These aren't toys to to show off with, as seems to be the case with many merikuns.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:58 PM   #50

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
You know, you really don't use them except when driving in thick fog or snow, and if it saves someone coming up from behind you from hitting you, they'll likely not care much if it's just one. These aren't toys to to show off with, as seems to be the case with many merikuns.
I don't care. There are too many idiots in this world. Any possibility to make my car even more visible to those idiots that aren't paying attention, then that's what I will do. Insurance doesn't buy a new car. And even then if they hit my car, they will wish they were paying attention because insurance will be the last of their worries.

I live in one of the worst states for DWI, hell if they make my car noticed even 1 second earlier than without, I'm for it.

Last edited by DarkStar; 02-01-2016 at 05:05 PM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:56 PM   #51

Garage
Josh, I was just thinking, NM most DUI's and thinking, "Josh must live in NM". and I looked at your details and indeed, "Josh lives in NM".

Quote:
I don't care. There are too many idiots in this world. Any possibility to make my car even more visible to those idiots that aren't paying attention, then that's what I will do. Insurance doesn't buy a new car. And even then if they hit my car, they will wish they were paying attention because insurance will be the last of their worries.

I live in one of the worst states for DWI, hell if they make my car noticed even 1 second earlier than without, I'm for it.

jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:01 PM   #52

Garage
Hahah. Yep. The state where they slap you on the wrist for driving drunk with 8 priors and only bat an eye when you kill a family of 4. Even then they only give you a light sentense... I help out with Uber on holidays when they are slammed, and so we roll as a team, one guy drives customers car and customer if they like and the other one follows, I was in the Porsche at a red light and the person behind me was rear ended. Then the guy backed up and took off. Ran over the median and took off up the freeway where he eventually Gave up. It's crazy, hell where do you think Quality Porsche Parts gets all their doners lol. I broke down from a bad battery on the freeway the other day, as I was putting the new battery in, a truck hit the wall next to my car and practically ramped over me and the car. If the wall wasn't there he would have hit me.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:13 PM   #53

Garage
Josh, I was just thinking, NM most DUI's and thinking, "Josh must live in NM". and I looked at your details and indeed, "Josh lives in NM".

Quote:

Old 02-02-2016, 10:45 AM   #54

I live in New Mexico, too. The number of times you'll experience weather here suggesting use of rear fog lights is minimal.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:31 AM   #55
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Coin holder

Who knew there was a coin holder in the console?

OK, so it is in the manual, but who reads every word about the console storage compartment? Actually, with the advent of EZ-Pass, FastLane, etc. automated tolling - the need for coins in a car is a lot less than it used to be, but still nice to have.

And, yes - the plastic needs to be cleaned up!
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:18 AM   #56

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpl2407 View Post
I love stumbling across secrets my 2003 boxster hides, lol. The first was the door pockets, I never knew that the lids flipped up, so that was a good score.

Second was finding the genuine porsche umbrella in the passenger side sill compartment, still in its original case, and has never been opened...nice :-).

Third, the in dash cup holder that actually pulls out to reveal 2 cupholders, that was a surprise, but now I can't use the excuse that I can't get my wife coffee because my car only has 1 cupholder, lol.

And, lastly, when I bought the car the sales slip noted that the toolkit was missing, last night while checking behind the drivers seat what do I find.....the complete, unused toolkit that still has the gloves in it!!!!!

I love my boxster secrets :-)
Have you found the plastic bag that holds a flat tire so you don't have to get your seat dirty while transporting it to get fixed? Did you also know the manual recommends using the styrofoam jack kit holder as a kneeler while changing a tire so your trousers don't get soiled?
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:20 AM   #57

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
Have you found the plastic bag that holds a flat tire so you don't have to get your seat dirty while transporting it to get fixed? Did you also know the manual recommends using the styrofoam jack kit holder as a kneeler while changing a tire so your trousers don't get soiled?
Yeah the car comes with the plastic bag and mine had some rubber gloves too lol. How generous.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:17 PM   #58

Garage
Quote:
Hahah. Yep. The state where they slap you on the wrist for driving drunk with 8 priors and only bat an eye when you kill a family of 4. Even then they only give you a light sentense... I help out with Uber on holidays when they are slammed, and so we roll as a team, one guy drives customers car and customer if they like and the other one follows, I was in the Porsche at a red light and the person behind me was rear ended. Then the guy backed up and took off. Ran over the median and took off up the freeway where he eventually Gave up. It's crazy, hell where do you think Quality Porsche Parts gets all their doners lol. I broke down from a bad battery on the freeway the other day, as I was putting the new battery in, a truck hit the wall next to my car and practically ramped over me and the car. If the wall wasn't there he would have hit me.

Wow! Just...wow...