Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2016, 03:40 PM   #1

OBC enable with Durametric

Trying to enable the OBC on my 2001S I keep getting "On board computer is already enabled". Other times I get "Didn't receive the correct number of bytes ..." error.

I've read others here also had the exact same issue.

Durametric tech support said my OBC is enabled. Why can't I use it then?

I've done all the wiring. I have the newer instruments cluster and wired my up/down/forward/back buttons to pin 21,22,23,24 of the grey connector on the back of the instruments cluster. The other terminals of the buttons are connected to ground.

I've read that a gong sound is played and the trip counter resets when the OBC gets enabled. Had nothing like that.

I assume that pressing any of the buttons should bring up the OBC display. I just have the odo reading and the trip counter. No menu on the left. I keep pressing all the buttons but nothing happens. I guess even if Durametric says OBC is enabled it isn't.

If someone has any experience or got the same errors and found the solution please let me know.

Also, those who have OBC please confirm if pushing the stalk in any direction should make a change to my default odo/trip display.

Thank you

Last edited by ttomtom; 09-07-2016 at 03:50 PM.
ttomtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:11 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
When the OBC is active, the cluster will show the selected metric/value.
If there is no outside temp or avg fuel mileage, etc. displayed, then it's not active.

When I activated mine, the outside temp showed up the instant that I clicked "Enable" on the Durametric activations screen.

Your issue could be with the cars wiring, etc. or the cable/software. Do you have the most recent Durametric firmware update?

In the picture below, you can see the OBC sectors on the center LCD (most not illuminated in the pic, but still visible).
Attached Images

Last edited by particlewave; 09-07-2016 at 05:36 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:24 PM   #3

I had a similar problem when I started building my OBC harnesses. I even managed to get my hands on a PIWIS and no luck. Turned out it was a switch not working in the 4 stalk.....bad solder joint. Take an ohm meter and ohm the stalk out to at least elminate that variable. If you need a professionally constructed 4 stalk harness for your car let me know.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:26 PM   #4

I don't use a stalk at the moment. I use two extra dash switches, each can do two functions. I have Ohmed them out and also shorted the wires coming from the cluster to ground. The only thing that happened is the trip odo was reset when I held the appropriate one shorted. This means the wires/connections are ok. At least that one that reset the trip odo which is probably the "down" one that should cycle through the different readings if the OBC was really enabled.

Yes I've downloaded the latest Durametric.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:32 AM   #5

Tried with a different laptop running a different OS today. Same result: "Didn't receive the incorrect number of byte ..." 20 times "OBC already enabled" 3 times and a new one that others here also had "coding failed" or something similar.

I'm pretty sure it's a Durametric error. It does not do anything except throwing random error messages. Seems familiar from the Windows world.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:41 AM   #6

Just to close this thread I have OBC now.

Disconnecting then reconnecting the battery helped.

I disconnected the battery to check the wiring. Once it was reconnected my buttons started working. Porsche is just like Windows. It needs to be restarted if nothing else helps lol.

Btw getting an error message from Durametric more often than not didn't help troubleshooting. And I'm still not sure I enabled OBC or a previous owner because I never got an OBC successfully enabled message.