Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2015, 04:01 AM   #1

New Member looking for Help!

Hello all! I am a new owner to the Porsche Boxter which I bought two weekends ago! Love the car and has been good fun to drive. I am a massive fan of two seater convertibles and own a z4 also, however I have parked this up whilst I make use of the porker!

It has not taken long for a problem to occur unfortunately. As I was driving into town yesterday, I parked up and the coolent started pouring out the bottom OS. I have had a look underneath the car this frosty morning to see if there was anything which was unusual and came across this:

Poured fluid into the tank to see if it would leak and it did. (top right of the image) Has anyone got any ideas what this is meant to be connected to? My initial thoughts is that a pipe has been disconnected...Hopefully one of you will be able to help me out!

Ricardo1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:53 AM   #2

Not sure but if that is by the rear right wheel well then it might be the overflow drain tube that comes from the coolant/oil cap area in the trunk.

Go in the trunk and remove the plastic shield that goes around the 2 caps and see if the pressure release/burp valve is leaking.

I know that an overfilled coolant system will blow coolant out of this valve until the proper level is reached.

If you fill the coolant overflow tank to the high mark when cold I think that when it heats up it will eject the extra hot coolant once the engine is turned off.

What is the coolant level in the overflow tank now?

Did you notice the coolant temp was higher than normal while driving?

If the overflow tank is leaking into the trunk then of course it needs to be replaced.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 12-14-2015 at 06:56 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:28 AM   #3

Garage
That is the Coolant tank overflow tube if it is on Right rear tire side. That end is not suppose to be connected to anything
Old 12-14-2015, 07:46 AM   #4

I had an issue with a coolant leak awhile back. It ended up being a faulty coolant cap. I had the original one where the part number ended in .01. I bought the newest, ending in .04, and all was good. This is fairly common.

Here is the drainage tube that the coolant will drain out of.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
I had an issue with a coolant leak awhile back. It ended up being a faulty coolant cap. I had the original one where the part number ended in .01. I bought the newest, ending in .04, and all was good. This is fairly common.

Here is the drainage tube that the coolant will drain out of.

Thank you for this! Turned out this was exactly the issue. New coolant lid fitted, problem solved. Now new problem has arisen...will the faults ever stop!?!?
Ricardo1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:41 AM   #6

May all your problems be such small, cheap, solved over the forum ones.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:11 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo1992 View Post
Now new problem has arisen...will the faults ever stop!?!?
Don't worry about the faults as they will come and go.

Instead, focus and immerse yourself in the daily joy and pride of driving one of the most rewarding drivers' car in the world.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote