Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2015, 05:29 AM   #21
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
I think he meant instrumental.
I'm surprised our newest grammar troll has not commented yet

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 12-08-2015 at 05:42 AM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:50 AM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
I'm surprised our newest grammar troll has not commented yet
We have a new grammar troll?
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:56 AM   #23

I have been using the Hankook V12's and had them on the car for 3 years already with a Performance driving school, 3-4 Auto-X's, and 2 years of daily driving and the things still have good tread and great traction.

I was hoping to get rid of them by now so I could go to the next stickier version for better Auto-Xing but they are just lasting far too long.

They handle extremely well in the wet as well as I found out during the Performance driving school as it was a little hard to get the car to spin out on the wet sudsy pavement in the parking lot. The instructor had to pull some hand brake at the opportune moment to get her to spin out.
The 60mph braking and dodging a cone in the wet was far too easy as well...very short stopping distance surprised me and the instructor...impressive.

The V12's are a fantastic daily tire for the dry/wet and I feel they were decent on the track but could benefit from more stickiness.

I like doing high performance takeoffs from a light and I have noticed this year that I'm getting a little slipping in the colder weather and actually even squawked the tires the other day instead of them just hooking up solid and launching the car forward with high G's, so perhaps they are starting to reach end of life.

Anyone have a recommendation for a Auto-X / Daily tire thats stickier than the V12's in the dry?

(Probably should just get another set of rims for Auto-X)
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:02 AM   #24

Garage
Michelin Rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
det·ri·men·tal

ˌdetrəˈmen(t)l/

adjective

adjective: detrimental

tending to cause harm.

Lol. Oops. I meant highly involved. Can't think of what I was going to type to get that point across though, I know what detrimental means but seem to have substituted it for something else.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:26 AM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Lol. Oops. I meant highly involved. Can't think of what I was going to type to get that point across though, I know what detrimental means but seem to have substituted it for something else.
Blame it on auto-correct.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:07 AM   #26
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
I have been using the Hankook V12's and had them on the car for 3 years already with a Performance driving school, 3-4 Auto-X's, and 2 years of daily driving and the things still have good tread and great traction.

I was hoping to get rid of them by now so I could go to the next stickier version for better Auto-Xing but they are just lasting far too long.

They handle extremely well in the wet as well as I found out during the Performance driving school as it was a little hard to get the car to spin out on the wet sudsy pavement in the parking lot. The instructor had to pull some hand brake at the opportune moment to get her to spin out.
The 60mph braking and dodging a cone in the wet was far too easy as well...very short stopping distance surprised me and the instructor...impressive.

The V12's are a fantastic daily tire for the dry/wet and I feel they were decent on the track but could benefit from more stickiness.

I like doing high performance takeoffs from a light and I have noticed this year that I'm getting a little slipping in the colder weather and actually even squawked the tires the other day instead of them just hooking up solid and launching the car forward with high G's, so perhaps they are starting to reach end of life.

Anyone have a recommendation for a Auto-X / Daily tire thats stickier than the V12's in the dry?

(Probably should just get another set of rims for Auto-X)
I had V12's and they were great for street driving and I found them OK for AX. They could not handle the heat on the track at all. Once they got hot, very greasy. Mine were toast in about 10k miles

From my research, Hankook RS-3, Dunlop Direzza Star Spec and Bridgestone RE-71 are very popular for sticker tires that are still very streetable.

The RE-71 is definitely the "hot" street tire for AX and track right now, but they wear really fast. Even though they are rated 200TW, they are probably more like 100 TW. Think "cheater" tire, but legal. You just won't get long tread life

RS-3 has been the "hot" tire for a while and is a very good performer. If you are tracking them, they will probably heat cycle out before the tread wears out. A solid choice in any case.

The Star Specs are very popular, maybe slightly less sticky then the RE-71 and last and last. They heat cycle better than the RS-3 and will last longer. the only bad thing I have read about them is they can be noisy. I do know several people running them and they have not complained them being noisy and they are simply great performing tires.

I am putting a set of Star Spec on my AX/track 17" wheels today and will be using them as DD for a few weeks. FYI, 17" tires are a lot less $$ then 18"

Last edited by JayG; 12-08-2015 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:52 AM   #27

Jay, why run an all season tire on a sports car 911 in California with great weather? Buy something like the Michelin Super Sports.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:36 AM   #28
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S View Post
Jay, why run an all season tire on a sports car 911 in California with great weather? Buy something like the Michelin Super Sports.
I don't track or AX the Targa and we do take it on trips. even in Ca, temps do go below 40 deg, so having all season works out well. Also, the car had them on it when we bought it Oct 2014 and they were virtually brand new.

the fronts have about 75% tread left, so when the new rears wear out, It should be time for a full set. I will decide then what to buy

Frankly if I was going to put summer tires on it, right now I would go with Sumi HTR ZIII
They are 50% the cost of PS2's

Last edited by JayG; 01-25-2016 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:46 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
well I have mixed feelings, especially after Michelin standing behind them

For an all season tire they do preform really well. The biggest complaint I have other than tread life is they are really really noisy. So noisy that I thought I had bad wheel bearings,.
I will reevaluate the noise issue later this week when I have a brand new set on the rear. Maybe the noise was due to worn tires

I have heard good things about the Continental tires for all season
Noisy ? Cant be as bad as my BFG TA TWR. They set the bar for noise. I love the grip though. They came with the car. Next year their coming off.

95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote