Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2006, 11:57 AM   #1

987-Top up/down @ +31 mph

Apparently, similar mechanicals to those found in the 987 top were used on the 996 Turbo Cabriolet. In light of this, I found the excerpt below, from a review of that car, to be interesting. On a personal note, during a recent hard-drizzle here in SD, I pulled over to the shoulder on the I-5 and put the top up at between 28-30 mph (my previous "best", was @ 20mph), with no ill-effects, immediate or subsequent. Top was not straining in any way. I am a little curious about the experience of 986 owners who buy the override gizmo that allows top up/down at speed, since their top motors weren't designed for this.

"You'll have to slow down to 31mph to reposition the roof, though, but even so there's probably no non-Porsche convertible whose roof can be opened or shut at such a speed (about 5mph is more usual).

That speed is dictated electronically, but without that ceiling the roof is apparently physically capable of deployment at double the pace. 'The motors are strong enough,' says the man who has masterminded the Turbo's cabrioletisation, 'but it would not be good for safety.' If you start to open or close the roof below 31mph and then accelerate over that speed, the roof arrests mid-fold, creating a giant air break, and several warning symbols light on the instrument panel to point out your folly."

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky

Last edited by SD987; 05-04-2006 at 12:07 PM.
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:08 PM   #2

I believe that you can do an over write in the relay box to allow 986 to put the top up or down without buying that gizmo thingy..

but to be honest with you , I [personally do not find myself yearning that function....( ignorance is bliss), although at the slight sight of dark clouds, I will not put the top down...

I guess I am indifferent to the whole feature..
dennizxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:10 PM   #3

I have had the Wilhelmy IT Smart Top for about a year. No problems, but I've never pushed the speed. I usually am in my driveway or leaving a parking lot. Did once raise top while approaching a red lite in a drizzle - but probably only about 15-20 mph.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:40 PM   #4

Hi,

There can be little debate on whether operating the Top at any speed increases the strain on it, it's simple physics, the more Air Resistance it encounters, the more stress it must absorb.

That said, can it handle the strain? I don't know nor I suspect do any of you. Just because it doesn't break doesn't mean that it isn't wearing faster than if it was a 0 MPH deployment.

To me, it's such a minor thing to stay stationary for 12 sec. with my hand on the button that it's really a non-issue. Any additional strain I put on my Boxster is going to be reserved for having Fun, not flipping my lid. Matter of personal choice...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 01:00 PM   #5
bmussatti

I don't think I'll ever use the feature of the conv. top while in motion. I can easily wait the few seconds too.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:15 PM   #6

cover the 18 pin on the top relay(big white block next to the fuse panel) and the top will go down at speed. You only need to have one click of the ebrake so that the light comes on the cluster.

I used it for quick up and downs of the top when at a light. But doing it at speeds of more than 10 mph is not wise. You can put some wind into the clam shell and screw up the alignment.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:40 PM   #7

I use it as a air brake reguarly to scrub off speed. Works great!
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:09 AM   #8

The point of my post wasn't so much to recommend frequent and reckless raising and lowering of the top at speed, as I would agree that common sense would tell you that might not be a good idea. I was more marvelling at the designer implying that the top motors could handle the job at up to 60 mph.

That's like the Hemi of top motors. That would be some cragee **************** to seem someone flying along at 60mph and raising the top.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:38 AM   #9

Well, with the way the tension straps/ropes/etc and all the velcro keep popping loose (I'm actually taking my car back in next week because the tension strings are sticking out of my top, again) I can only imagine the havoc that would ensue if someone tried to raise the top at 60 MPH. Sure, the motors might handle it....