View Single Post
Old 05-04-2006, 11:57 AM   #1
SD987

987-Top up/down @ +31 mph

Apparently, similar mechanicals to those found in the 987 top were used on the 996 Turbo Cabriolet. In light of this, I found the excerpt below, from a review of that car, to be interesting. On a personal note, during a recent hard-drizzle here in SD, I pulled over to the shoulder on the I-5 and put the top up at between 28-30 mph (my previous "best", was @ 20mph), with no ill-effects, immediate or subsequent. Top was not straining in any way. I am a little curious about the experience of 986 owners who buy the override gizmo that allows top up/down at speed, since their top motors weren't designed for this.

"You'll have to slow down to 31mph to reposition the roof, though, but even so there's probably no non-Porsche convertible whose roof can be opened or shut at such a speed (about 5mph is more usual).

That speed is dictated electronically, but without that ceiling the roof is apparently physically capable of deployment at double the pace. 'The motors are strong enough,' says the man who has masterminded the Turbo's cabrioletisation, 'but it would not be good for safety.' If you start to open or close the roof below 31mph and then accelerate over that speed, the roof arrests mid-fold, creating a giant air break, and several warning symbols light on the instrument panel to point out your folly."

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky

Last edited by SD987; 05-04-2006 at 12:07 PM.
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote