Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2015, 09:13 AM   #1

What would you pay for this? 1997 Boxster; 56k Miles (Pics inside)

Hi, all. Long time lurking so thanks for the great info. Looking to pull the trigger on a fun car for my wife this C-Mas. We don't need this car (does anyone need a Porsche?), so I'm only going to buy if the right car comes along. I've been emailing a bit with the seller of this Boxster:

Porsche Boxster Base Convertible 2 Door | eBay

I'm also attaching some pictures of the accident. What are your thoughts on a decent price to pick this up. Or, would you walk away from this car? There are some weird issues with the doors and shifter:

"Please note the "Not so perfect parts":

Passenger door does not lock, but the alarm goes on either way when you lock the car

The dash does not reflect that the car is in park and shows it is in Reverse instead - and sometimes we have to start the car in Neutral- this is not a problem with the shifting, it just does not show it is in park. Car shifts, reverses and parks fine, but the dash board doesn't show the parking mode - I have had NO problems shifting at all or getting in any of the reverse and shifting gears. I just want to be 100% honest about this problem. The listing price has been adjusted to reflect the problem with the park and door lock."

ironmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:39 AM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I just read the full eBay listing. The car has been repaired and still has a few issues? How many miles and time has elapsed since the accident?
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:14 AM   #3

After your first Porsche , one needs a Porsche thereafter
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:17 AM   #4

Just read listing. Please search more.IMO there are plenty out there comparable in price without the prior issues. Good luck!
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:22 AM   #5

Pass and keep looking.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:52 AM   #6

Agreed... definitely keep looking. For reference, the '97 Manual I purchased earlier this year:
  • 115k miles, more than that listing
  • Silver, black interior
  • Yellowing and cracked in one corner window in soft top
  • Had to replace ignition switch right away
  • Passenger door solenoid buzzes when locking, but locks
  • New clutch about 4k miles ago
  • No accidents
  • Hard top in great condition
  • No dents or dings, some paint chipping on bumper and where hard top attaches
  • Completely stock
  • Had to drive from Denver to Vegas to pick it up
  • $6000, not including the drive

The right car is out there, keep looking, and be wary of previous accidents as YOU don't know how well it was fixed.
ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:02 PM   #7

Garage
Why do the accident pictures have two different sets of wheels on them?

You don't want that car.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:26 PM   #8

I also agree it's a pass.
There are plenty of examples out there near that price range with no prior accidents and no gremlins. That one just seems like a headache on wheels.
Best of luck on the search!
Old 11-19-2015, 12:51 PM   #9
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
It's a 97 with a reconstructed title.
Not necessarily a reliability issue, but a big drag on value. Does it have documented repairs from a reputable shop?

It has had a front end wreck before the new wheels were installed and a rear end wreck after they were installed.
To me anyway, it has clearly had TWO collisions. May not be a big deal again if repairs were done professionally.

I don't know those wheels, but they look like they may be 19s which may look great (I like them, but some may not), but will wear out what is left of that 18 year old suspension.
I would not add value for the wheels

Kenwood stereo?
Meh. Although the original Becker head units are dated and not that good, having a good condition original is often valued higher than an aftermarket hack job.

56K is very low mileage that's a big plus!
...If it is legit and not because it was sitting in the body shop for a few years.

Silver with the red interior is a killer combo.
My favorite. Big plus. I have two. I still want a good look at ALL of the 18 year old leather. Floor mats are faded, but the rest looks pretty well cared for.

The door lock and gear position switch are most likely age/wear issues and not a big deal.
At a shop charging $100/hr labor they could be expensive. To a hobby mechanic with a Bentley manual and Forum, not that big a deal.

Quote:
What would you pay for this? 1997 Boxster
Without having a shop do a full PPI, I'd be stuck at about $4,500. With a good PPI not much over $5k if it all checks good.

I have seen too many awesome cars sit here in the classified section for too long to spend any more than that. The seller has it way overvalued. Plan to walk away.

Last edited by 78F350; 11-19-2015 at 01:00 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:22 PM   #10

Garage
There are plenty of other Boxsters out there; please pass on this one.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:29 PM   #11

Great catch on the wheels, all. Didn't even notice that.

Allegedly work was done at a decent shop near me, but this sounds like nothing I want to buy
ironmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmikey View Post

Allegedly work was done at a decent shop near me, but this sounds like nothing I want to buy
There are plenty of early Boxsters out there and a good number are well taken care of. Pay a little more upfront for a good car and save way more later and enjoy the car more. There's nothing more fun sucking on a new ride than lots of time in the shop and lots of money fixing someone elses problems. Good hunting (that half the fun!).
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:20 PM   #13

Get him down a thousand
vricketson711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:14 PM   #14
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
This one is across the country and has about 3x the miles:
http://986forum.com/forums/boxsters-sale-wanted/57525-fs-1999-boxster-986-tasteful-upgrades-row-m030-fikse-fm5-fvd-headers-exhaust.html

Detailed history
Quality upgrades
Proper care and maintenance

I'd put this one way ahead of the one on eBay and it is priced lower. $5,900
Old 11-20-2015, 05:32 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmikey View Post

These cars are already going to need a lot of maintenance and cause you some headaches. While they are worth it, you don't want one that's gonna cause extra heartache.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:33 AM   #16

Aside from the fact that I'd pass on this vehicle at any price, the passenger door lock IS A BIG DEAL. Part required was only made for the 1997 because it was the only model year not to have side air bags. Part will cost $200 and take an hour or so to R/R if you've never done the job before.

As the owner of a heavily repaired 1997, I'd say avoid the first year Boxsters. Subframe wasn't made strong enough to handle 18 inch wheels, plus it's underpowered in my opinion. As I always tell prospective Boxster owners, buy the newest S model you can find, and if you can't afford that car then you can't afford a Boxster yet... be patient, wait, save more money, and get a 2003 S or newer Boxster and you won't regret waiting and delaying gratification.

In fact, save even more for even longer and buy a 2007S or younger Boxster. They really got nice and fast after 2007 and that's a car one could keep for 20+ years and not get tired of in any respect.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:34 PM   #17

Nothing, pass.

2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote