Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2016, 04:18 PM   #81

You have eclectic tastes...Morris minor?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

pkp4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:37 PM   #82
Project Addicted

Yeah, that is a long term project, an Austin Mini Traveller Woody. It's a 67 that came off the ship and into a barn. We have been replacing the sheet metal from the doors forward. It's a full right hand drive car and I bought for Missus better 7/8ths as a gift. Barb is left handed and has never been able to have a car that was truly built for her. This will be her summer, beach, run around car once done,
this spring.

We do have an eclectic collection! I just love cars but only buy and keep the ones that are special to me in some way. Here is a pic of our Alfa GTV with the Mini

1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:41 PM   #83

Ahh - another 105 devotee.... I've owned 6 Alfa's, first a 1750 Berlina (kids growing up), then 2 x 1750 GTV's, a 1300 GT Junior, an Alfetta 1800 GT and a Sud.

Strangely enough, I was cleaning out my garage over Christmas and came across my old workshop manual (very grubby) and a set of genuine handbooks that came with one of the cars. Don't know why I kept them but perhaps the inner me wants another GTV.... I gave away all my spare valve shims and micrometer to a GTV driving stranger I got talking to last year.
I know I wouldn't get any problems from my wife buying another 105 as she learnt to drive in my 1750 and loves the way they drive.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #84
Project Addicted

Update....Finally!

After moving from NY to MD during the month of December and the leaving town for the moth of January, there has been NO time to work on the box. We left off with replacing the drivers side radiator and then loaded it into the trailer for the trip down south-ish. I was not convinced that the cooling system was at 100% working properly and the past few days of getting back into it, my suspicions were confirmed. Before it got real cold 2 weeks ago, I once again drained the water and installed antifreeze. I then took it on short to medium length rides to burp the air out and see how it was going to work. Every time I was back at the sop and it had cooled, I added a bit of coolant. This was expected as I knew there was air in the system coming back to the tank.

BUT each time I lifted the trunk, there always seemed to be a bit of moisture in the top of the coolant rez area. Then because it was cold, I was also seeing steam. I should not be seeing steam back there anymore with the new tank and release valve diaphragm. Well, when the diaphragm was leaking, that should have led me to look further. Whoever assembled the tank and it's parts was having a very bad day. First the top of the diaphragm was leaking:

Not knowing exactly how the valve area worked, I took the top off but didn't know there was another part of the assembly below that. I thought it was all 1 piece, not a stacked assembly. I must say that Vertex was very helpful in getting me some parts to fix the tank at no charge. The second time around they sent the full valve including screws. This is when I realized there was more to the problem. Well, today I pulled the valve off and then popped the spacer below the top section and found that the small round gasket in the center was installed off center and causing a leak.

The new parts from Vertex included a new rubber thing and that was installed easily. After putting it in and topping up the tank, it was off for another ride. Well the temps regulated properly and the top area had no moisture or steam coming out when the trunk was opened.

So although the cooling system seems solid, Im going to drive and monitor for a week or 2. I really do hope that I'm at the end of the cooling system woes....
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
Old 02-21-2016, 05:30 AM   #85
Project Addicted

An off topic update. i'm a serial car buyer and when I see a good deal I jump on it,especially if it;s one of my deep lust cars. I picked up a Lotus Esprit Turbo last weekend as my next project once the Box is done and Allie takes it out of the shop.

2 of my girls already beginning to fight over who gets this car once done!!

The timing belt broke in 2011 and bent some valves. The head has been rebuilt and mounted but the PO ran out of energy and this is where I get in.The car is now in MD waiting for space in the shop.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster

Last edited by jcslocum; 02-21-2016 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:02 AM   #86

Keeping it stock?

pkp4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:39 AM   #87

The Lotus Esprit is a great looking car. I suggest you modify it to go under water as well.
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:09 AM   #88
Project Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkp4911 View Post
Keeping it stock?

Other than losing the emissions equipment, yeah. The original cast pistons won't take much boost over stock so no reason to get much modding done. It's a 43000 mile car so the engine should have some good like left in it as stock. If it needs a rebuild at some time, I would upgrade to forged pistons and then go a little crazy with the power, but then the gearbox is the limiting factor.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
Old 02-22-2016, 05:42 PM   #89

Always thought the Esprit was a great looking car, Congrats!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:16 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcslocum View Post
An off topic update. i'm a serial car buyer and when I see a good deal I jump on it,especially if it;s one of my deep lust cars. I picked up a Lotus Esprit Turbo last weekend as my next project once the Box is done and Allie takes it out of the shop.

1986 Lotus Turbo Esprit HCI 50k Miles, Fully Serviced – RonSusser.com

They look great in glacier blue too
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:57 AM   #91

Nice Lotus. Always wanted one but at 6'4" it doesn't work from me. Always loved the Lotus in the film The Spy Who Loved Me.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:10 AM   #92
Project Addicted

It is a cool car and I have always loved the design. That blue car is awesome too, not so excited about that blue interior.

On the Boxster, I think I have finally bottomed out the cooling issues. After fixing the bleeder valve issue I thought I still had issues as I can hear some hissing and gurgling when listening to the tank top area. Last night I took it out for a ride, got it good and hot and brought it back into the shop. I grabbed an ear plug and jammed it in the drain hole, filled this top area with water and looked for bubbles. Not a single bubble emerged from the valve or the cap. I think this resolves my cooling system issues. The temp needle gets up to right at the 8 and 0 and stays there like it's painted on. At Idle the fans come on and the needle goes up and down very slightly as the cooling system does it's thing.

Now on to some electrickery jobs. Wipers don't park, horn blows the fuse. Install new stereo.

Pics will follow later!
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
Old 03-31-2016, 04:06 AM   #93
Project Addicted

It's been about a month and time really does fly. Getting on to those final few electrickery jobs created or coincided with the cluster failure, which drove me mad and made my brain hurt for a month. We have been working to move to move the car to VA where before it can be registered must go thru a safety and emissions inspection, Well a non working horn and wipers that won't park might be a failure.

The tracing of the horn issue was no wiring problems but just 2 burned out and shorted horn units. Strange that they were BOTH dead and shorted but that is Stella for you. These are tucked away in a nice tight spot that is hard to get your hands into so changing is not the easiest of tasks for my big fat hands. New horn, new fuse and horn now works like it should.

The wipers were and easy fix, as the relay looked right but was wrong. I think it had a mirror/rear window defrost relay in there. They all have the same pins but one is black and one is blue and they different part numbers. But they look so similar, someone put it in there and the replacement from Woody fixed it right up.

Ok now, we are getting somewhere! Horns fixed and wipers work as they are supposed to. Lets take this baby out for a quick ride to make sure we have it all under control......

Well, 3 minutes out on the road and Allie says the dash isn't working. WTF? Well, we were under the dash so maybe we pushed a wire or something and knocked it loose. We pull over and check plugs and wires near the fuse and relay panel, check fuses but no joy. Dead as the Dodo. Car runs great so we head back to the shop and begin to scratch heads and think of how we broke the cluster or the wiring to the cluster. Pull cluster, pull center stack, pull ignition switch, etc..., looking for a loose or broken wire, particularly the grounds as multiple things were not working that SEEM unrelated. All gauges and the LCD's are dead as well as the dash lighting. These to me seem completely unrelated so I'm thinking broken ground under the dash. Nope, all grounds are solid. Stare at wiring diagrams that some kind folks sent me, by the full factory manual and stare at this wiring diagrams too. Read everything, post here get some excellent responses but no fixes. Chat with Woody and he thinks it's grounds but sends me a cluster to test it with. Plug in replacement cluster and BOOM everything works!!! PLUS some stuff that didn't work before :-) Outside temp is now reading and we didn't even know that was there, Bonus.

New dash in, re-install all the other center stack stuff, replace some light bulbs, finish attach the door panels with new plastic easy-break pins and load Stella into the trailer. A side note, now that Stella is OUT of the shop permanently, the Lotus Esprit, my girls have named Vivian, is in.

Yesterday we drove over to VA to drop that car, take it to inspection and have dinner with Allie. All is good, we go to inspection and the car passes the safety inspection with flying colors. GREAT!! The emissions test we didn't pass or fail. Not enough miles to put the computer into "ready" mode so Allie and I went for a long ride of 93 miles and today she will get back and see if it will read now.

Stella runs perfectly and drives really well. Allie is so happy and excited to have the car up and running after so much work and money spent on it. She will get it to inspection and begin using it as a DD now. We have more cosmetic stuff to do but as far as a driver it looks solid and trustworthy.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
Old 03-31-2016, 05:04 AM   #94

I'm glad I was wrong. That 2000 S cluster looks better too. I've heard sometimes when the immobilizer gets wet, it can take out a lot of electrical items with it. Maybe that why you're having all these electrical issues?
Old 03-31-2016, 07:05 AM   #95
Project Addicted

I'm glad you were wrong too !! But as I have told, you, I'm good with it and appreciate all the support over these past months. Lots of Woody's used parts in Stella.

The Immobilizer under the seat is dry as a bone and is working fine. It's packed in 2 zip locks with desiccant in there for the "belt and suspenders" level of security. Perfectly dry and the immobilizer issue was a loose plug that was resolved in minutes...once the seat was out.

I will report back with some more info once she gets back, on the emissions test.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
Old 03-31-2016, 10:08 AM   #96

Great story. Felt like I was along for the ride. Amazing how much stuff you have done. Post some pics of the finished product if you get a chance! Great work!
Old 04-05-2016, 02:12 PM   #97
Project Addicted

So, we drove the car a bit and Allie took it back for the E test. Well it didn't have enough miles for the ECU to get into ready mode, so out she goes again for another 50 miles. This time she pulls in and the computer is ready but it reads the 1128 code. This has to do with idle trim and probably indicates a vacuum leak. Well, back under the hood we go this weekend to do a smoke test to try to find the false air.

I wonder if she just clears the code, will the ECU stay in ready mode or will it fully reset and need all the miles again to be able to pass the test. So no updates for another week or so.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
Old 04-05-2016, 02:57 PM   #98
On the slippery slope

Garage
if you clear codes, often it resets the readiness monitors
Some of them are a PITA to get to reset, but the good news in many states, those don't matter
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:00 PM   #99

I recently purchase a 2000 Porsche 996 instrument cluster for VW project. I just want to know how I can turn it on? Have so many cables. I appreciated every body helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
franciscosoto1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:20 AM   #100
Project Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
if you clear codes, often it resets the readiness monitors
Some of them are a PITA to get to reset, but the good news in many states, those don't matter
Jay, you were right. Clear codes and it resets the ECU ready monitors.

So, might need a new thread on this but here is some info from last nights test:

We did a smoke test and can find NO leaks in the intake and vacuum system. We used up 2 cigars doing the test.

Plugged in Durametric and read the codes and actual values. The car was not how when we first started but the reading we very similar whether hot or cold.

So, the 1128 and 1130 codes indicate this:
Fuel/air mixture so lean that the ECU has reached its rich threshold.

Adaptation range 2 FRA Bank 1 =1.10
Adaptation range 1 RKAT Bank 1 =3.95
Adaptation range 2 FRA Bank 1 =1.10
Adaptation range 1 RKAT Bank 2 = 3.95
MAF at idle flow showed about 17Kg MAF IS NEW!!!!

So no visible vacuum leaks. MAF is new.

I think the AOS might be bad and Allie will pinch off the hose (replaced with rubber hose already) to see if we get a significant change int here adaptation range readings.

Any other ideas????

1986 944, 2000 Boxster