Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2006, 08:36 PM   #1

Signs of things to come??

Its a little late but...I recently took my 2000 S in for a cracked coolant tank, after finally convincing the technician it was actually leaking, the said they replaced the tank. I picked my car up about 5:00 on Friday and drove home (8 miles). My wife is going out with a friend so she takes the car and on her way home she tells me the red light on the temp gauge is blinking (Frankly, I am shocked she noticed). She verified the temp was still normal so I told her to continue home (2-3 miles). When she got back sure enough the coolant level was at the bottom of the tank. I know I may be the victim of an idiot mechanic but after seeing some of the recent posts on some quality issues, it makes me wonder.....I had a Miata for 15 years drove it all over and autoX'ed it quite a bit...and besides tires It was in the shop 1 time (timing belt)...I'm looking at two times this week..

IowaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:04 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Did you inspect for cracks or lose hoses?
Old 04-29-2006, 04:24 AM   #3

I pulled the carpet back last night and did not notice any water. Before I took it in the first time there was coolant around the tank mount. Actually the trunk area was completely dry. I may get a better look at it this morining when I am in a better mood and it is light out....
Old 04-29-2006, 05:02 AM   #4

DeliriousGA did this repair and said replacing the hoses and especially the factory clamps was important, and cheap too. Check to see if these were replaced. They can crack and wear too.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 05:03 AM   #5

it's possible they didn't refill the system properly. if the mechanic didn't warm the engine to open the thermostat and properly burp the lines, it's possible that coolant in the tank simply flowed into an underfilled system.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 05:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaS
Its a little late but...I recently took my 2000 S in for a cracked coolant tank, after finally convincing the technician it was actually leaking, the said they replaced the tank. I picked my car up about 5:00 on Friday and drove home (8 miles). My wife is going out with a friend so she takes the car and on her way home she tells me the red light on the temp gauge is blinking (Frankly, I am shocked she noticed). She verified the temp was still normal so I told her to continue home (2-3 miles). When she got back sure enough the coolant level was at the bottom of the tank. I know I may be the victim of an idiot mechanic but after seeing some of the recent posts on some quality issues, it makes me wonder.....I had a Miata for 15 years drove it all over and autoX'ed it quite a bit...and besides tires It was in the shop 1 time (timing belt)...I'm looking at two times this week..

If there are no other source of leaks, and your mechanic changed the Coolant reservoir. Im pretty sure there is still Air in the system. System needs to be properly bled out of air....BTW, make sure they used the RIGHT type of Coolant.

Last edited by spine911; 04-29-2006 at 05:58 AM.
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 07:06 AM   #7

Hi,

As mentioned, check the lines for leaks. It could have been improperly Bled, there is a specuific Bleed Valve for the Coolant which lives under the escutcheon covering the Oil and Coolant spouts. You must pry up/off this escutcheon and then you'll see the Bleed Valve. You pull up on the wire lever and run the Car. There is a specific sequence to Bleeding the system.

But, if you mention the Tank being emptied, there is likely a leak as well. Porsche put out a TSB - 3/00 3848 3 calling for replacement of the Spring-Clamps with Screw or Worm Clamps, be sure this was done. As mentioned, use silicate-free Coolant to prevent gumming up the system with Silica Gell which will fall from solution if incompatible coolants are used.

So far as the Boxster vs the Miata, they are not equals in many respects. Unfortunately, Reliability and Maintenance are one of these, and the Miata wins this category Hands Down...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 09:58 AM   #8

Thanks guys, and yes they did replace the hoses and clamps and as far as using the right coolant I would hope a Porsche dealer would know. My first thought this morning after I simmered down was air in the system also, but since it is a warranty isssue I decided not to take any chances and had it towed to the dealer. The technician was not in on Saturday so I will find out Monday what is up. On the funny side, the tow truck driver said that he just got done picking up a '63 boxster....I said yeah right, that was a great year...
Old 04-29-2006, 06:13 PM   #9

When I replaced mine, I filled the coolant back to the proper level then took her for a spin. During the drive, I got the temp up to normal, then stayed in lower gears to get the rpm up. I'd take it up high then hit then low, over and over, to cause fluctuations in the flow of the coolant. When I got home, the air had worked out of the system and I had to add about 1/2 gallon to bring it back up. Over the next week I had to add a little here and there while the trapped bubbles got out of the system.

Btw, when they replace the clamps, they're supposed to put screw type clamps instead of the springs according to a TSB released earlier.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:48 PM   #10

Still dont have an idea yet. The dealer called today about 2 and was asking quesitons, I put out the air bubble therory and he quickly dismissed. So I am porsheless and mad all at the same time...oh well the weather has been crappy all weekend anyway. I still agree with the air theory, I only drove it a few miles and it was about 1/2 gallon low like yours...
Old 05-01-2006, 05:01 PM   #11

dont mean to get off subject but ive owned 2 miatas. These were the 2 most troublr free cars i ever owned.

the first miata was purchased in 2000. i bought a 96 with 70K miles (i was poor then). i replaced the discs and pads. i drove it till it had about 90k miles with zero problems.

i traded this car in for a brand new 2002 miata (little less poor now). i put 20k trouble free miles on that one.

these cars are fun to drive, reliable, and have a great shifter. you just dont look so cool driving a miata.

after that i went to a audi tt (good looking car but drives like a tank). then i got my first porsche a 99 boxster. i never had major problems with this car just little stuff that costed live 500.00 a pop to fix at the dealer. now im in my second boxster a 2003.

i miss the simplicity and reliability of the miata, but i would never go back to having a miata as my daily driver.

"mo money mo problems"
-P Diddy
Finallygottaporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:34 PM   #12

True the mo money more problems...I had a '90 Miata (really poor then) and sold it last summer to a freind of mine with 105,000 very trouble free miles, the only thing I didn't do myself was the timing belt at 60k miles. The cam seals were starting to leak a bit when I sold it but it was still a solid car. Yes, on the cool factor too, I have never had so much attention are the road as I do now (sometimes it's good, sometimes bad)...I have been thinking about investing in a shift kit to get at least a little feel back like the old MX-5. I was traveling in Italy last year and rented a '05 MX-5 and I could have closed my eyes and been back in old blue again...
Old 05-01-2006, 08:43 PM   #13

thanks for sharing your miata story. i think everything will be ok with the boxster. i do think porsche does a one year warranty on replacent parts and service. so if you paid for a new coolant tank, they will pretty much have to deal with you until your car holds coolant.

i know that people in our situation are usually way too busy to have our time wasted by going to the dealer multiple times, but be nice to the service guys. the way they look at it, they didnt sell you the used boxster out of warranty. if you only have 1 or 2 dealerships to go to, you dont want to alienate them.

my first boxster was a 99 w 17 k miles. the day after i got it i took it to porsche for a 30k service ($1,000.00). the next day the check engine light came on. took it back, new MAF ($600.00) a month later fuel evap valve ($600.00) a month later window regulator ($600.00). after that i had a straight year of trouble free motoring. little things are very expensive in the porsche world. as long as you dont need a new engine, be happy.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:00 PM   #14

End of Story (hopefully)

I pick my car up tomorrow, dealer is saying "air bubbles"
Old 05-02-2006, 05:58 PM   #15

good to hear!
Old 05-02-2006, 07:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaS
I pick my car up tomorrow, dealer is saying "air bubbles"

Just as I originally suspected ..... Another way to make sure that the system is bled of all the air is to make sure that you turn ON the HEATER to HIGH(highest possible temp) and then let the car run with VARYING RPMS(3000-4000rpms) for a couple of miles, then shut off the engine, re-check Coolant reservoir level, add water if level goes down.
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by spine911
Just as I originally suspected ..... Another way to make sure that the system is bled of all the air is to make sure that you turn ON the HEATER to HIGH(highest possible temp) and then let the car run with VARYING RPMS(3000-4000rpms) for a couple of miles, then shut off the engine, re-check Coolant reservoir level, add water if level goes down.
Hi,

All Fine and Good, but there is a Bleed Valve for the Cooling System, and it's there for a reason. Open this Valve and follow the set procedure. I'm aghast that the P-Dealer didn't already do this. This is a serious breach for a Factory Trained Service Team to miss...

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

All Fine and Good, but there is a Bleed Valve for the Cooling System, and it's there for a reason. Open this Valve and follow the set procedure. I'm aghast that the P-Dealer didn't already do this. This is a serious breach for a Factory Trained Service Team to miss...

I agree. I would expect them to know this, as I just don't know much about the car yet. I was sure an nice drive to work this morning...