Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2015, 09:59 AM   #1

Close to making a deal. Advice??

I have been looking for months now and think I've found the one. Id love to hear advice on whether it's a good deal and if there should be any concerns I'm missing.
2007 Boxster base midnight blue with tan interior. Automatic/tiptronic with 33,124 miles. Price is $23981 plus tax tags and all the other BS. Serviced from Porsche of Rockville MD.
Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alizmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:20 AM   #2

Garage
Looks good from here, but a pre purchase inspection is highly recommended and service records are worth their weight in gold.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:49 AM   #3

My first Boxster was a tip. It was still fun but for me something was missing. I wasn't satisfied till I bought one with a stick.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:51 AM   #4

You sure you want an auto? Stick is alot more fun.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:00 AM   #5

Looks like a beauty, and price certainly seems reasonable. Is it CPO? And when it comes to Tip vs. Manual - very personal choice. I will say I totally loved my Tiptronic and especially love my PDK I have now.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:41 AM   #6
Run

Price looks good depending on a PPI and options. I just bought an 06 Cayman s a few months back paid a similar price and it came with the TIP. I would suggest a test ride in an S version just to see the difference. My base Boxster compared to the S Cayman is a world of difference.
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:41 AM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

KBB says the Blue Book is around $24K so the pricing is decent (for a car dealer sale). Same car from a private party would sell for $21,500. Or less.

I'd negotiate pretty hard because there are a LOT of used Boxster's on the market and its the start of fall (hardly a popular time to buy a convertible).

Please get a PPI from an expert in Porsche cars. And get the PPI from another shop even if you're buying it from a dealer (unless its a CPO). The PPI will be the best $300 you will ever spend.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:56 PM   #8

Close to making a deal. Advice??

I drove a 2007 S in a five speed and it was fantastic it seems though that in the area I live in none of the dealers want to negotiate. I scratch my head at that.

It does come Maryland state inspected which is pretty rigorous. Does the dealership itself offer a pre-purchased inspection?

Last edited by alizmi; 09-08-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:20 PM   #9

in by 20K miles... out by 60K miles. MUST do the PPI and ask for compression AND leak down test. Not so much for your piece of mind but to ensure you are not paying up for a car with low mileage but possible issues because of the low mileage.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alizmi View Post
I drove a 2007 S in a five speed and it was fantastic it seems though that in the area I live in none of the dealers want to negotiate. I scratch my head at that.

It does come Maryland state inspected which is pretty rigorous. Does the dealership itself offer a pre-purchased inspection?
Having the selling dealership do the PPI is leaving the wolf in charge of the chicken coup. The idea is to get an independant opinion.

As thstone said, dealers should be blowing out their convertibles now, esp in the upper half of the US. They don't want to carry them too much longer or they'll be sending them to the auction. You should be able to get substantial $$$ off. Tell them you are serious about buying a Boxster (not necessarily theirs) and if they won't deal you'll go elsewhere. If the PPI turns up any maintenance that needs to be done, use that in your bargaining too (have them lower the price or throw in the maintenance).

You rarely have advantages over a dealer when buying a car, but you have Mother Nature in your corner when buying a convertible at this time of the year. They know snow is just around the corner. If they don't deal, walk away. Mention another one in the area that you're going to go look at (doesn't matter if you're interested or not), mention another one so they can verify it exists (I saw a black 08 on Cars.com, etc). That proves you're in the mkt for a car. They'll be calling you back in a day or two.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:30 PM   #11

Here is a list of Porches independent mechanics.

I often suggest you pick your mechanic before you pick the car. And then ask them to find a car for you that they are familiar with.

I drove a TIP 986 for probably 5 years daily in the DC area. Bought two, found a motivated seller and negotiated hard. Did a PPI on the second one. Wise move. Fixed what was needed and almost zero trouble after that.

Dealers are often reluctant to allow another mechanic to work on cars they own. Private sellers less so if they are convinced you are a serious buyer and have already negotiated a price contingent on the inspection results.

I just popped into craigslist and am amazed at how few Boxsters are for sale in the DC listings. Very few 987 models. Great driving weather immediately ahead. And there is a major major change coming the end of the year that may have more people holding on to their 6-cylinder Porsches to see if they appreciate.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:33 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Here is a list of Porches independent mechanics.

I often suggest you pick your mechanic before you pick the car. And then ask them to find a car for you that they are familiar with.

I drove a TIP 986 for probably 5 years daily in the DC area. Bought two, found a motivated seller and negotiated hard. Did a PPI on the second one. Wise move. Fixed what was needed and almost zero trouble after that.

Dealers are often reluctant to allow another mechanic to work on cars they own. Private sellers less so if they are convinced you are a serious buyer and have already negotiated a price contingent on the inspection results.

I just popped into craigslist and am amazed at how few Boxsters are for sale in the DC listings. Very few 987 models. Great driving weather immediately ahead. And there is a major major change coming the end of the year that may have more people holding on to their 6-cylinder Porsches to see if they appreciate.
What major change are we talking about?
EJ-Fresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:12 PM   #13
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ-Fresno View Post
What major change are we talking about?
turbo 4 bangers replacing the flat 6
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:47 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
turbo 4 bangers replacing the flat 6
Like the new 911?
EJ-Fresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:32 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ-Fresno View Post
Like the new 911?

It's still a 6 just smaller displacement.

Both carrera s and carrera have 3.0 twin turbo engines.

Having the same displacement in both cars is a bit saddening if you ask me.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:02 PM   #16

MikeFocke Thank you for your post. The box I'm looking at now is at Porsche of Rockville. Are you familiar with that dealership? I've heard that Arlington is a major dealer also. I live in Baltimore and we have Len Stoler Porsche about 5 minutes from my house.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:23 PM   #17
On the slippery slope

Garage
Just be sure to get a pre-cooked bacon pizza from Ledos
Toasted Ravioli as well if you are at the College park restaurant
Too bad they closed the original one in Adelphi a while back

Better yet, get the pizza half cooked and frozen and FedEx it to me
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:25 PM   #18
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alizmi View Post
I have been looking for months now and think I've found the one. Id love to hear advice on whether it's a good deal and if there should be any concerns I'm missing.
2007 Boxster base midnight blue with tan interior. Automatic/tiptronic with 33,124 miles. Price is $23981 plus tax tags and all the other BS. Serviced from Porsche of Rockville MD.
Thoughts?

I learned to drive stick on a Boxster. I think you should look for a stick, that's half the fun of driving these cars.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986_inquiry View Post
I learned to drive stick on a Boxster. I think you should look for a stick, that's half the fun of driving these cars.

Driving stick isn't the issue. I have driven stick since the 90's. I just think an auto/tip would be easier for my driving. At least for now it would be.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:26 PM   #20

Garage
Personally, try and find yourself a 'S' version 6 speed.... you will thank yourself for doing so... or what the *^%(! its only money.... grab it!!