Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2015, 01:57 PM   #1
I am my own mechanic....

What's the last accident you witnessed?

Red car makes U turn right in front of CRV. No place to go. Just made witness statement.

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:40 PM   #2

Last accident I witnessed, was in NYC 8th Ave & 42nd Street. BMW in the right turn lane with signal on goes to make the turn when the light turns green. A flatbed truck in the lane to the adjacent left of the BMW also makes a right turn... directly into the BMW. I stuck around until the police arrived and gave my witness statement.

About 2 months later, I get a call from a very nice lady stating she is with the insurance company (did not state which driver's insurance), telling me the conversation would be taped and if I was ok with answering some questions. I agree and describe the events as I witnessed them. She asks me if the BMW was perhaps positioned in the "lane" that is commonly reserved for cars to park along the curb. I state no it was clearly a turning lane. She spends the next 5 minutes trying to convince me otherwise and gets more and more belligerent with each passing minute. When I adamantly state no and I will not change my statement, it was a quick "Thank you for your time" and click.

I'm pretty sure she was with the flatbed owner's insurance company.
dijinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:45 PM   #3
Registered Boxster abuser

SUV ran thru the light...

decided to step on it and

well did not make it.

Last edited by healthservices; 06-28-2015 at 02:50 PM.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:26 PM   #4
Beginner

Garage
No pics so it technically didn't happen, but a silver SUV rammed the Jersey barrier at suicide alley on NASA road 1 today in heavy rain. Funny thing about Jersey barriers, they always win.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:52 PM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Pulling out across a highway, one pickup was t-boned by another travelling at 60mph. I was right behind the truck that was pulling out and felt the impact in my bones.
It also left my ears ringing for a while.

This was a couple months ago...thankfully, no serious injuries.

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:25 PM   #6
Registered Boxster abuser

If we're doing no pics. I was driving down the freeway with my daughter, there was a choke point its the usual choke point on the 91 freeway just past the 55 going east. 85-90 slowing down to 40 to 50. I always look to my mirrors when slowing down here. I spot a 3 series passing traffic at what must be 20-30 miles a hour faster than traffic, making a 4 lane change some 50 to 75 yards behind me, from my left lane, to my right.... I tell my 9 year old daughter "always be aware of the traffic around you. Now look to the right ..." as I say this the BMW spins slowly losing control of his vehicle. He must have been still going 15 to 20 miles an hour faster than we were as he passes us backwards on our right two lanes over, it then hit the embankment. The car got airborne 4 to 5 feet. Probably not something you should be showing a child! I don't think she will ever forget that sight. :-(

What's worst was we pass him and not even 1 min later I see smoke behind me. I thought his car caught fire... Looking closer in the rear view mirror the billowing smoke was getting closer, yes it was him but with a folded over axle dragging a front tire, this guy was trying to run away from the scene. I along with others who witness what happen followed him behind a bank. Apparently he hit another car and was trying to run away! We called 911 to report the scene.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:10 PM   #7

Last on I witnessed was me, a 90+ year old man ran a red light tight in front of me and i couldn't stop in time. Spun him around pretty good.

We got to talking afterward and he is a WWII vet. Took full responsibility, his insurance co gave no trouble, and he quit driving after that. Very interesting man and I thanked him for his service.

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:16 PM   #8

Garage
I witnessed part of an accident that left a 20 year old US Marine laying dead in the highway after being hit by a car where that driver apparently fled the scene on foot. The driver was later found and charged with felony hit and run and DUI; a lady was charged with a felony for aiding the fleeing driver. This was Friday night as I was headed out of town and only two blocks from home. Home is where I went after giving my statements to the police. It was not the best weekend for me, worse for his family. I feel very bad for his family/friends. A few of them received word of the accident and came to scene. One thing that really got to me was the number of gawkers in the lanes on the other side of the highway that came to near standstill - if not complete stops until the police moved their cars to block the view. I believe that took a bit of time because they had to investigate things before parking were they could block the view.

Last edited by BFeller; 06-29-2015 at 03:02 AM.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:03 AM   #9
Rennzenn

Garage
Two weeks ago I was making a left into my neighborhood... Person behind thinks I'm making a right and tries to pass on the left (in the oncoming lane!) no serious injuries, thankfully.
Arrrggh.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
Two weeks ago I was making a left into my neighborhood... Person behind thinks I'm making a right and tries to pass on the left (in the oncoming lane!) no serious injuries, thankfully.
Arrrggh.
OUCH! Everytime I see sketchy behavior I swear I am going to get a dashcam, but then I get bewildered by all the $20 junk out there and the good ones seem to all be $200-$300 and up.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:27 AM   #11

Last accident I saw was when I hit the deer just after dark outside of deer central, Kanab, UT. Took out the hood, right front fender and door, headlight and passenger window on my wife's BMW 325 XI. Not totaled, but close. Needless to say, I did not get a picture!

The UHP officer that filled out the report said he had hit 3 that month!

Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote