Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2015, 12:48 PM   #21

Garage
Or you could consider roller bearings or .. or...

2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:21 PM   #22
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Gosh, I'd start with a good therapist, and work out the whole rotor edge thing ASAP...

Oh, wait. Just read post. Sorry.

I'd pull it out, trans filter & fluid, referb guides and tensioners and all that engine general stuff, and reinstall. Profit.
Yeah I was thinking of just waiting until the rotors cut through the IMS.

I don't have the tools to do the job. I could buy them, but with the cheapest price on the IMS Solution at $1,698.75 then buying all the tools and replacement fluids I'd probably be close to the $4,000 mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Another option:
IMS Guardian
Always wanted to know if you had your IMSB upgraded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas951 View Post
I had my 2002 S IMSB replaced at 140k miles a couple years ago.its also a Tip. My cost was $1200. The engine did not have to come out to do the job.

Btw the old IMSB was perfectly fine. I had it changed cause LN and JR did a great job marketing their product.
That crosses my mind too, spending $4k and the bearing is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Take good care of your car with frequent oil changes and drive it like you stole it. When it finally goes, you had to take the motor out anyways right? Just replace it with a shiny 4.0L
I like your thinking!

Last edited by KRAM36; 04-25-2015 at 03:28 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:30 PM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
Yeah, standard M96, right. It's the Mezger part I was interested in.
What I've read (and I'm not saying it is correct) is that Mezger (Metzger, Metsger) designed the 2.7L motor and there are two versions of it, a three chain and a five chain. I have not been able to find out how to tell the difference. I recall that I heard about the motors and how hardy they are from a post I read from Jake Raby. Perhaps he can enlighten us on the 2.7L.
I've seen the prices on used low miles ones drop because no one wants them they all seem to prefer an upgrade to the 3.2 or 3.4. It's the same with the 2.5L, used ones are appearing for under $2K.
I've also wondered if the 2.9 would fit in an early Boxster, what is involved in the install, how much a used one is going for and how well they are built.
I would be looking for a plug and play swap.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:43 PM   #24
Brighton Boxster

Garage
I agree with THStone, post #9. I just bought my 2003 Boxster S Tiptronic this month, with 102,500 miles on it and I knew that the IMS bearing was an issue so I researched this topic as much as possible before making the decision to buy the car. The majority of failures seem to occur well before such elevated mileage is attained, so a well-used car may be a better prospect than a low mileage garage queen. I am an eternal optimist, and if 20% fail, I see it as 80% being just fine, and I kind of like those odds.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:16 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
Mezger (Metzger, Metsger) designed the 2.7L motor and there are two versions of it, a three chain and a five chain.
The Boxster (and 996) M96 was either a 5 chain (1997-2002) or 3 chain (2003-04). The Mezger engine is a whole different animal, from the TT or GT2:

Technology explained:

Think race car engine (i.e. $$$$$$$$).

Last edited by clickman; 04-25-2015 at 04:53 PM.
clickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:09 AM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
The Boxster (and 996) M96 was either a 5 chain (1997-2002) or 3 chain (2003-04). The Mezger engine is a whole different animal, from the TT or GT2:

Technology explained:

Think race car engine (i.e. $$$$$$$$).
Thanks Norm, excellent information and clears up my confusion. I would still opt for a 2.7L as a replacement for a 2.5L or paying $4K for an IMS upgrade. I'd drive the 2.5 until it died then pick up a low mileage 2.7L and had a few hp to boot.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:06 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
buy an 80K mile replacement engine from a salvage yard (mine cost $1,800) and have a shop swap it in ($2,500) and you can be back on the road for another 60K+ miles for around $5K. If you can do the swap yourself, you can get it done for ~$3.5K.
not if you spec racing guys keep buying up all the 2.5's!

You got a deal there.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:39 AM   #28
Need For Speed

Garage
Would the IMS Guardian trigger in time to save the engine? Install that and the screw on type oil filter to keep the debris out of the engine?
Old 04-28-2015, 08:02 AM   #29
Need For Speed

Garage
Geez, just checked on the IMS Guardian and it's $439.00 for the system.

I have a magnetic drain plug. What about doing the spin on filter, that's supposed to keep metal from getting into the engine, right?
Old 04-28-2015, 08:04 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
Would the IMS Guardian trigger in time to save the engine? Install that and the screw on type oil filter to keep the debris out of the engine?
No. In order for the system to alarm, there has to be a minimum amount of ferrous debris circulating in the engine, which means it is already all over the inside of the engine, which has to come out and apart.

While the spin on filter will do a better job of trapping materials than the OEM style, you need to remember that the debris starts off inside the engine and gets picked up by the oil, and carried to the filter; so it is already spread around before the filter even gets a chance to remove it.

Neither of these products are designed to prevent catastrophic failures, that requires preemptive steps by the owner, such as replacing the IMS before it starts to crap out. Both the Guardian and the spin on filter can help reduce the amount of damage from an IMS failure, but cannot prevent it from happening.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 04-28-2015 at 08:06 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:38 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
I should have been clear on that part. Yes, it's a keeper. I love this car, I will own this car until I die.
I think you should get the IMSB done.
If you're going to keep it, you could easily get another 100k out of that engine.

I've had mine done and one big advantage is that I enjoy driving the car so much more, now that I'm not always wondering in the back of my mind about the IMSB destroying the engine.

Just picture yourself being in the middle of nowhere with a detonated engine. That would be a bad day. I know it can happen anyway but, I feel a lot better with that extra insurance.

Hope that helps!
Old 04-29-2015, 06:22 AM   #32

Just because you have a high mileage engine doesn't mean your home free with the IMSB. Partial bearing seal failure is one of the main reasons IMSBs break. Leaking seals allow oil to wash out the bearing's grease over an extended time period, but the oil flow through the leaking seal isn't enough to fully lubricate the bearing.

Low mileage cars see more failures because their seals sit in acidic oil for extended times and degrade. For various reasons, seals degrade more slowly in high mileage cars so one sees failures happening less. Eventually, high mileage cars will see problems too its just nobody seems to know when.

If you do nothing else, it's probably a good idea to remove the outer seal of the OEM IMSB when your in there changing the clutch. Personally, I wouldn't and didn't stop there when I changed my clutch. If your doing the work yourself, it just the cost of parts that you're saving. I'd bet some Forum member would be willing to lend or rent the special tools to you.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:45 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
Will say my Indy quoted me $2000 for a tip last fall. $95/hour labour rate. Cost of the bearing has gone up a bit this year with the exchange rate from US to Canadian, so prob closer to 2500 now. Unless he had a brain freeze about the Tip part.

Giller, mind telling me who your Indy is?
pony13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:30 PM   #34
Need For Speed

Garage
I've decided not to do the IMSB upgrade. I want to see how many miles I get out of it, at 117k miles right now.

Honestly, I think there is way too much fear mongering going on about the IMSB. Not the part that if it goes, it's a catastrophic engine failure. It's the people saying you need to replace it right now, that is the fear mongering.

An engine is going to eventually give out. One day I will replace this engine, that's a given because I plan to keep this car until I die or it doesn't get involved in an accident.

Last edited by KRAM36; 05-01-2015 at 06:40 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:13 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony13ca View Post
Giller, mind telling me who your Indy is?
Mike at German Autotech in Waterloo. Busy little shop, lots of good reviews online.