Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2015, 05:33 PM   #41

Sorry for the bluntness of the above post, not really. Calling a spade a spade is very politically incorrect (the ruination of our nation) these days. For those in need of guidance regarding a potential IMS issue, run a search and see who has contributed what from the above factions.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:39 PM   #42
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Well I had my LN double row installed at 64,263 miles. As of today the car has 100,882 miles. I have changed my oil every 5,000 miles or so. The last 5 oil changes have been with Castrol 0-40 syntec. I'm still using the stock oil filter set up. I have considered going with the LN set up during my next oil change. I'm still on the fence about it.
I know Jake endorses Joe Gibbs oil. I think he also recommended Motul in the past. The indy that did my retrofit used Motul when he has done my oil changes in the past. I will most likely start using Motul or Joe Gibbs starting with my next oil change. Yes they are harder to get and around twice as much as Castrol. But it is small change compared to the cost of a new engine.
In the end I've decided that I love my car. I drove it for the first time in 5 months today. If spending $50 more twice a year for oil helps my engine last a few more years it's worth it to me. Sorry for the long winded response.
On a side note I agree that toni never has anything nice or constructive to say on any thread ever.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:39 PM   #43

This debate is impossible to win on pure numbers alone because the data simply doesn't exist. People who like to attack their competitors use that fact to create fear and uncertainty among prospective buyers.

The bottom line for me is this. If 1 LN bearing fails out of 25,000, then the failure rate is 4 thousandths of a percent. If 10 fail, then the rate is 4 hundredths of a percent..

I'll take those odds any day when replacing a car part. Wouldn't you?
Old 04-02-2015, 07:57 PM   #44

Has this question been asked

Or should I say on the heels of your statement "Has this data been collected?"

What is the failure rate of the different IMS replacement bearings after they are put into service ??
Old 04-02-2015, 08:59 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
Or should I say on the heels of your statement "Has this data been collected?"

What is the failure rate of the different IMS replacement bearings after they are put into service ??
If your referring to my back of the envelop calculation, no the data hasn't been collected by an independent, unbiased party. At best, one can guess at the numbers.

After watching the forum for years, my sense is that there are between 5,000 and 10,000 LN bearings in service. If I'm conservative, then I'll work with 5,000. My sense also is that the number of failures is between 0 and 5. Again, if I'm conservative, I'll work with 5. Then the math becomes 5 failures out of 5,000 units. This implies a failure rate of 2 hundredths of a percent. I'll still take those odds any day.

To be fair, now that I reread Jake's post, I probably misinterpreted it when he mentioned 25,000. My bad if I did.

Bottom line...read as much as your can. View all of it skeptically. Then do your own calculus on which IMB fix is best for you trading off your perception of longevity of the product and cost of the product. Then place your bet by picking a product. That's what I did and only time will tell if I placed the right bet.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:38 PM   #46

What, I have to change my user name and my LN bearing is going to fail making my Boxster into a roller. I'm devastated. I'm going to drown myself in some Arrogant Bastard Ale by the fire pit to make myself feel better.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Old 04-02-2015, 11:13 PM   #47
Need For Speed

Garage
I use the Porsche Crest and the word Porsche for my desktop background. Do I have to stop using it?

Old 04-03-2015, 02:28 AM   #48
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
I'm going to drown myself in some Arrogant Bastard Ale by the fire pit to make myself feel better.
Arrogant Bastard, my favorite even if I'm not worthy.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:59 AM   #49
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
I use the Porsche Crest and the word Porsche for my desktop background. Do I have to stop using it?

Are you using that logo to give the appearance of being Porsche Affiliated? Like you work for them? So their name draws calls for you?

Because I sell Weil-McLain boilers, should I call myself "Weil-McLain Land" even if they sent me a cease & desist order to stop illegally using their name? How about "Triangle-Tube Land" or "Peerless Land"..... Maybe "Home-Depot Land" since I use their products.

Please don't tell me you guys can't see the difference between personal & (somewhat) professional use?? A hack is a hack, down to the last bolt, bearing, and typically their name, as in this case.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:20 AM   #50

People, you can take the mickey out of it all you want, but Porsche has a history of shutting down websites and even businesses for using their copyrighted materials without their expressed permission. The point is, they have the right to do so if they are so inclined, just like any other copyright holder.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:23 AM   #51
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Are you using that logo to give the appearance of being Porsche Affiliated? Like you work for them? So their name draws calls for you?

Because I sell Weil-McLain boilers, should I call myself "Weil-McLain Land" even if they sent me a cease & desist order to stop illegally using their name? How about "Triangle-Tube Land" or "Peerless Land"..... Maybe "Home-Depot Land" since I use their products.

Please don't tell me you guys can't see the difference between personal & (somewhat) professional use?? A hack is a hack, down to the last bolt, bearing, and typically their name, as in this case.
That would be a no in my case. I used it because it's cool looking and I made it myself.

How do you know that porsche land is a hack?
Old 04-03-2015, 04:32 AM   #52

Quote:
That would be a no in my case. I used it because it's cool looking and I made it myself.

How do you know that porsche land is a hack?
Not sure hack is the right word.....but unprofessional does come to mind. He comes on here only to advertise and take shots at Jake.
He does not contribute anything productive to the forums or offer anyone any help or advice.
The whole point of this forum, or so I thought, was to share ideas and thoughts and engage in some fun banter, as well as help each other out with technical help.
Oh, and make fun of each other from time to time.
And no cats!
Old 04-03-2015, 04:40 AM   #53
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
Not sure hack is the right word.....but unprofessional does come to mind. He comes on here only to advertise and take shots at Jake.
He does not contribute anything productive to the forums or offer anyone any help or advice.
The whole point of this forum, or so I thought, was to share ideas and thoughts and engage in some fun banter, as well as help each other out with technical help.
And no cats!
I do agree with you on that. Did Hell freeze over?
Old 04-03-2015, 04:46 AM   #54

Quote:
I do agree with you on that. Did Hell freeze over?
It better not have....else I'll never get my car out of the shed! Need this darn snow to melt, not freeze even more!
Old 04-03-2015, 04:50 AM   #55

Garage
Hack might be a bit outreachy without personal experience, but as someone who has looked into who the guys are that you take your Porsche to around the Chicago area, I'll tell you that these guys don't even get a mention. Just my two cents. That and the way they act is information that tends to corroborate the hack title. Like I said, never getting my business.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:09 AM   #56
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
And no cats!
I say hack from a business owner's perspective. Uses another major company's name for free exposure (against their wishes), posts solely to promote his business and bash Jake, has an obvious troll buddy, offers no help as Jake does, and did the OP really move you to consider this guy as an indy option? What engine or customer or job is he talking to or about??

He is the type that nails signs to light poles. Free advertising. Rennlist didn't allow it, neither should Mark.

I have no *official* opinion on the statement regarding that small animal who's name shall not be mentioned as per my sealed, out of court settlement with Mark & Pelican....
Old 04-03-2015, 05:25 AM   #57
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
I say hack from a business owner's perspective. Uses another major company's name for free exposure (against their wishes), posts solely to promote his business and bash Jake, has an obvious troll buddy, offers no help as Jake does, and did the OP really move you to consider this guy as an indy option? What engine or customer or job is he talking to or about??

He is the type that nails signs to light poles. Free advertising. Rennlist didn't allow it, neither should Mark.

I have no *official* opinion on the statement regarding that small animal who's name shall not be mentioned as per my sealed, out of court settlement with Mark & Pelican....
Oh, sorry I misunderstood your post.

Yes he is going about it in the wrong way to gain customers from this forum.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:26 AM   #58

Quote:
And no cats!
I'm not so sure that telling us of an LN bearing failure (or early stages) is having the intended effect. From where I stand it seems to underline the fact that we so rarely have forum members report an issue, even despite the fact that third parties of varying degrees of competence are doing nearly all of the installations. Think of all the ways that someone can screw that up... yet I don't think I could count on the fingers of one hand all of the people who have come on to this and other Porsche forums railing about a LN failure.
Granted, the forum represent only a sliver of sliver of total 986/996 drivers but I mean I can't think of a single person who has come on here to say the LN bearing was installed and the engine still grenades. Now compare that to the number of factory bearings that went kaput and the owners came on to ask what to do with their roller.
The fact that people with single row bearings even postpone the swap in the face of such an absence of complaints post-swap really baffles me.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Old 04-03-2015, 08:36 AM   #59

I agree with some of your statement

that the guy may be going about this the wrong way to some extent but I think your quote of
Quote:
offers no help as Jake does
is only half true as Jake keeps so much of this stuff going himself and to some extents attacks or denigrates anyone whose products he deems inferior to his own...Listening to him, you would think that his company is the only company on the face of the earth, capable of rebuilding an M96. I was very interested in his products when they first came to market years ago, but after watching these kind of interactions on this and other forums for years between him and anyone that does not drink the kool-aid I have learned there are other options.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:35 AM   #60

Haven't been on the site in almost a year. Sad to see this same bashing going on against Jake. All I know is I bought the product close to 4 years ago. Had it installed by an authorized professional, and haven't had an issue.

01 986 Boxster S. Arctic Silver. 6 speed manual. IMSR/RMS.
Closed Thread