View Single Post
Old 04-02-2015, 08:59 PM   #45
thom4782

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
Or should I say on the heels of your statement "Has this data been collected?"

What is the failure rate of the different IMS replacement bearings after they are put into service ??
If your referring to my back of the envelop calculation, no the data hasn't been collected by an independent, unbiased party. At best, one can guess at the numbers.

After watching the forum for years, my sense is that there are between 5,000 and 10,000 LN bearings in service. If I'm conservative, then I'll work with 5,000. My sense also is that the number of failures is between 0 and 5. Again, if I'm conservative, I'll work with 5. Then the math becomes 5 failures out of 5,000 units. This implies a failure rate of 2 hundredths of a percent. I'll still take those odds any day.

To be fair, now that I reread Jake's post, I probably misinterpreted it when he mentioned 25,000. My bad if I did.

Bottom line...read as much as your can. View all of it skeptically. Then do your own calculus on which IMB fix is best for you trading off your perception of longevity of the product and cost of the product. Then place your bet by picking a product. That's what I did and only time will tell if I placed the right bet.