Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2015, 11:18 AM   #61

As a long-time Flat-6 customer...

I can tell you this much: Jake built me an M96 for my Boxster (well, rebuilt) that unfortunately suffered a 10,000-rpm mechanical over-rev. Yes, I missed a shift -- the money shift. The motor held together, however. No thrown or bent rods (billet rods, ARP fasteners) no cracked pistons (JE) or wrist pin failures. The crank (stock) was twisted and bent. The valves were goners. The timing chains (stock) were stretched. But the block and heads were good.

So I sent the motor back to Jake for another rebuild (that's the "money" part of money shift) with a billet crank, bored and stroked, full dyno tune, etc. Pulls hard, runs like a champ, do the maintenance and use the oil Jake tells you to. So what's my point? My point is build a motor that holds together at 10,000 rpm and then tell me you're the man and Jake is full of ********************.

I've been wrenching cars for 40 years, I can tell who to trust and who's all talk. Do as you please, it's your motor.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:32 AM   #62

Old 04-20-2015, 07:13 PM   #63

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf View Post
that the guy may be going about this the wrong way to some extent but I think your quote of is only half true as Jake keeps so much of this stuff going himself and to some extents attacks or denigrates anyone whose products he deems inferior to his own...Listening to him, you would think that his company is the only company on the face of the earth, capable of rebuilding an M96. I was very interested in his products when they first came to market years ago, but after watching these kind of interactions on this and other forums for years between him and anyone that does not drink the kool-aid I have learned there are other options.

This X1000
Old 04-21-2015, 07:26 AM   #64
Administrator

This thread has run its course.

Mark at Pelican Parts

Closed Thread