Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2015, 08:35 PM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Jake, here's a good exercise for both of you: Teach her how to drive a stick in her father's car.

Her father is restoring an old GTO, they're Michigan GM implants (she drives an oldmobile alero of all things.) Sadly the GTO is far from running though.

BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:34 PM   #22

My clutch after an "experienced" VW driver had a crack at it. Driven a manual all my life. The Boxter with an old clutch is a challenge. With my new clutch and flywheel it's much easier though I'm not handing the keys over anytime soon.

bobbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:20 PM   #23

Teaching stick in a boxster?

Hm.

Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:53 AM   #24

Garage
Best way to teach stick is by going and renting a car thats manual and using that to teach your children on... thats what I am doing!!!
Old 03-27-2015, 04:03 AM   #25

Garage
I have no issues with the boxster's clutch, I've driven heavier. I still stall a couple times a year.
You may learn best on a Boxster, not the easiest but the cost may be very high
Tried to teach my son. That didn't go well and he could tell it was hard on the car. Stalling these things makes the hairs on my neck stand up. It sound so painful and damaging
Good luck finding a rental company in the US that even rents manuals. They are on to people learning in them
There are driving schools that specialize in it so that may be another othing
Old 03-27-2015, 05:13 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCactus View Post
Best way to teach stick is by going and renting a car thats manual and using that to teach your children on... thats what I am doing!!!
Is it even possible to rent a stick shift car? I doubt if anyone rents stick shift cars in the U.S. Maybe in Canada?

Jake, what's this? "they're Michigan GM implants." Do you mean transplants? I'd hate to be implanted in Michigan !

Last edited by Joe B; 03-27-2015 at 05:18 AM.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:32 AM   #27

No way

I learned on a 1948 Dodge Power Wagon (without syncro) and have been driving manual transmission vehicles for fifty years. I believe the Boxster has a tricky clutch, and I wouldn't dream of letting a new driver near her.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:06 AM   #28

When you first begin, look for the "sweet spot" of engagement. No need to use the gas even. Have the car at a stop, put into first and make it go by slowly releasing the clutch. Once proficient, start release clutch gradually faster while incorporating gas.
KenDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:08 AM   #29

Garage
Four months ago I would have said no, the Boxster clutch is a little too heavy and would be hard to learn on. Then I got a new clutch/flywheel, and it's now almost as light as my old Miata.

Having said that, I'd prefer to teach someone on an old Honda or Toyota with a small 4 cyl and a light clutch.

Alternate idea for you Jake: Do you have an arcade/Dave & Busters near you that has a Redline GT or some kind of Nascar game/simulator? In full manual mode, with force feedback, they can be pretty frustrating (i.e. realistic) to get off the line without stalling. I'd try a few date nights before you let her into a real car....it will cost you $50 instead of a new clutch/flywheel.
tomonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:23 AM   #30

Garage
In Canada you can still find manual rentals as well as in Europe, South America, Africa and Asia. I think Russa too still rents manuals....
Old 03-27-2015, 08:57 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCactus View Post
In Canada you can still find manual rentals as well as in Europe, South America, Africa and Asia. I think Russa too still rents manuals....
I doubt if Jake loves her enough to take her to any of those places in order to teach her how to shift gears !
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:41 AM   #32

I have a similar circumstance with my Mrs. except I'm the one that wants her to learn so she can take her turn being the DD when we take my car.

My clutch seems to be in good shape despite having 90K on the original. I decided it would be best for my car (and my marriage) to have her learn on a friends vehicle.
Carlisabadman986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:50 AM   #33
X GI

I experimented with teaching my son to drive my boxster when he was home on leave. Didn't go too well and all the better anyway. I don't need my clutch ruined.

Here's how I learned years and years ago. Was on a small town dealer lot, fell in love with a navy blue 74 trans am, 4-speed but when I saw it had a stick I told the sales guy to forget it. He said, if I teach you to drive it right now will you buy it? I said ok. The deal worked out well for both of us. I don't think that would happen today!

Eventually I had that clutch replaced because I was so new to stick and was putting some big time wear on it while practicing.

Back in 1979 replacing the clutch/pressure plate was a whopping $275!
1999 Boxster
SJEFFB986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:00 AM   #34
2002 Boxster S

To get my daughter driving my Box I first hired a manual driving instructor here in Ottawa. He first taught her in his manual until she got the hang of it. Next he drove my Box a bit to see how it went and then he taught her in it. He did comment that the clutch in the Box was really heavy.

I took an hour lesson from him as well to touch up my manual skills. He gave me some good pointers on timing the clutch release and cornering. I'll be doing HPDE this summer so I'm sure I'll learn even more.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:44 AM   #35

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDFW View Post
When you first begin, look for the "sweet spot" of engagement. No need to use the gas even. Have the car at a stop, put into first and make it go by slowly releasing the clutch. Once proficient, start release clutch gradually faster while incorporating gas.
Exactly how i learned, but 90% of cars here in the UK are manual. Over here if you learn in an Automatic your licence only covers you to drive an Auto, you can't then drive a manual with out taking and passing a driving test in a manual. If you pass your test in a manual then you can drive either a manual or an auto. Sorry i'm going off topic.

Jake: Remember to tell her to depress the clutch down when you come to a stop!
M4SGK1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:58 AM   #36

Garage
Teaching stick in a boxster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDFW View Post

That's what did it for me. Once I took this approach I only stalled a few times when distracted. Hrmm the Dave and busters/arcade sounds like a good idea!

Last edited by BIGJake111; 03-27-2015 at 12:03 PM.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote