Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2015, 03:32 PM   #1

back from the body shop today

Today I picked up the S from the body shop after having side rocker covers and the GT3Tek rear diffuser installed and painted. Also had the rear bumperettes painted body color I like how the car came out. So the front is a OEM 996 GT3 bumper, the side rocker covers were a steal off of Craigslist and the GT3Tek was bought new. Bumperettes were purchased from a forum member and painted. Today I received the GT3 Motorsport front lip to finish off the front end. Now she is ready for the Jake Raby 3.6 coming in a few months ! So how do you think she looks ?

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:43 PM   #2

Home run! Front looks ready to fight.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:09 PM   #3

From nose to tail - Outstanding!
Old 03-24-2015, 05:24 PM   #4
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Looks great!! This car might as well be called a 986 GT3 when you get done!!
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:31 PM   #5
Need For Speed

Garage
Looks great! If you don't mind answering, what is the 3.6 engine upgrade from Jake going to cost you?
Old 03-25-2015, 11:27 AM   #6

Looks good. Is that a ROW 030 rake I see?
Old 03-25-2015, 11:38 AM   #7

Looks great! Did they do a good job color matching? Glad to see the bumprettes worked out. You must be chomping at the bits to get the 3.6 in the car!
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:07 PM   #8

it's amazing what three pieces of plastic do to this car.

This car should never have left the factory without the GT3 front bumper and side skirts.
The concept car was not bare bones, Porsche only made the "base" 986 that way to cash in on Tequipment options for the interior and exterior of the car.

The rear Boxster Spyder bumper came out well. I'm debating whether I have my bumperettes refinished in a matte gray and do the inserts on the Boxster Spyder bumper the same way.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:13 PM   #9

Thanks guys I'm glad you approve Yes the shop did very well with the color match. To say that I am chomping at the bit for the 3.6 has to be the understatement of the decade !!! It's been over a year since Jake and I " shook hands " on the deal. This is no ordinary 3.6 build this is uber custom it basically is a from the ground up custom build. Jake to my knowledge has only built four of these to date so I'm only the 5th person on the planet that will have this engine. I really can't discuss the technical aspect as Jake will shoot me with one of his sniper rifles ! But all the bits and pieces are patented to/by Jake so no one else can buy them so I am in very exclusive company. And no I will not discuss the price in public or even in private that is between Jake and myself. I will say it makes ZERO economic sense to buy this engine, to be honest you have to be nuts to go down this road. But nuts in a good way. As an enthusiest I have put WAY too much money in all of my previous Porsche automobiles. I didn't put money in them because I had to but because I wanted to. To me it's part of customizing the cars to my individual taste. My plan for this car is it will be the last Porsche I own. I'm 57 and plan on retiring in a few years so it's balls to the wall to get her how I want her. Wife doesn't have an issue with it so life is good. And don't think I am a rich guy I carry my lunch pail to work every day at a good job and have earned every penny I spend. Sorry for the long answer I'll keep posting updates as I add to my baby.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
Old 03-25-2015, 02:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
Looks good. Is that a ROW 030 rake I see?
According to the codes on the hood sticker it does not have the 030 suspension. One of these days while I have it on my lift I need to determine if the previous owner changed the original suspension. For now all you see is the slope of my driveway
Old 03-25-2015, 02:23 PM   #11
Need For Speed

Garage
Can you say what the expected HP will be from this engine?
Old 03-25-2015, 03:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
Can you say what the expected HP will be from this engine?
At this point in time no I can't. Jake did tell me what he expects but the sample size is only four engines so until we run it on the dyno it's just an educated guess. While the HP number will be fairly high this motor is more about good torque from idle to redline. No flat spots just pull like a freight train. It will rev freely yet be docile enough to drive around town and will get better fuel mileage than stock. Jake will see this post I'm sure and if he wants to chime in he will.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:45 PM   #13

btw, you might want to look into getting the front bumper clear wrapped and ask that they wrap under the bottom edge. This will keep the paint along the bottom edges from chipping. The area directly in front of the wheels is the worst part. All it takes is one steep driveway to dig into that bumper.
Also, the wrap keeps the flying gravel on the highway making the bumper look pop-marked.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:54 PM   #14
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
At this point in time no I can't. Jake did tell me what he expects but the sample size is only four engines so until we run it on the dyno it's just an educated guess. While the HP number will be fairly high this motor is more about good torque from idle to redline. No flat spots just pull like a freight train. It will rev freely yet be docile enough to drive around town and will get better fuel mileage than stock. Jake will see this post I'm sure and if he wants to chime in he will.
Ok, well can you answer this? Will the air intake system and exhaust be changed?
Old 03-26-2015, 02:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
Ok, well can you answer this? Will the air intake system and exhaust be changed?
Yes. The exhaust has already been upgraded on the 3.2 with aftermarket headers/high flow front cats, rear delete pipes and currently a Dansk banana muffler. I recently have picked up a GHL twin can muffler. We'll use whatever sounds the best and makes the most power. Intake will have several aftermarket bits.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:33 AM   #16

When I purchased the rocker covers off the local CL ad I forgot to ask the guy who the manufacturer was. I was just doing some surfing and came across this website these sure look like the ones I bought. Price per the website is $476.00 I paid $50.00 !!! And per the manufacturers description it continues my 986 GT3 theme !

http://www.fiberwerks.com/_borders/gr.jpg
Old 03-31-2015, 05:39 AM   #17

Garage
Looks great I am planning on doing the same bodywise to my 99!
Old 04-02-2015, 02:09 PM   #18

Today the 986S GT3 ( haha ) took another step forward. Kind of a funny story how this latest item unfolded. About 8 months ago a local guy was parting out a Boxster that had been hit. One of the items he was selling was a less than one year old aftermarket top on the frame with a glass rear window. I picked it up for $400.00 . It has been sitting in the garage as I summoned the courage to do the swap . When I recently picked up my car from the body shop after the rocker/diffuser install I was talking to the owner of the shop about doing the swap. He said sure anytime you want just let me know. As it turns out he was selling his 99 Boxster, the other day when it was a little chilly here he dropped the top and crack went the rear window ! So he has the car for sale, people showing up to look at the car and a split rear window. I get a text from him saying he will swap out my top for the glass window top for NO CHARGE if he can have my vinyl window top to put on his car. Sure no problem ! And I got his old top/frame as a spare for no charge so a totally free deal. Picked her up today and here are some crappy cellphone pics it was starting to rain. The top needs to be cleaned up but it looks great !

Old 04-02-2015, 07:05 PM   #19
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Can't beat that deal . And yes I truly think your car is the 986 GT3. It is probably faster and better handling than anything besides a turbo or GT3 of the same era.

tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote