Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2015, 06:02 AM   #1
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Tips for selling stuff in online forums

I'm no pro, but I have been regularly buying and selling car parts and electronics surplus online since about the time Windows 95 hit the shelves.

Here's some observations...

*Post a price.
Most forums are not a good format for an auction type of sale. Saying, "Hit me up with offers." is generally a Fail statement unless you have an indicated price range. Want an auction? Post on eBay and link to it in the forum.

*Reply to pm's promptly and clearly.
If someone shows interest in what you are selling, entertain that interest. Someone who wants a part to repair a car is not going to be waiting weeks for a reply. Someone who is looking for an expensive upgrade is not likely to trust your credibility if you seem slow or evasive with your answers.

*If you get a couple inquiries with the same question or requests for more & better pictures, post the answer publicly in the thread.

*Pictures in good lighting that show off great condition and highlight and explain minor defects are better than dark, blurry pictures that are ambiguous.

*Accept that "rare items" are often rare because they are undesirable to most people. If you want top dollar for it, it will be a slow sale.

*Do not take replies to your post personally or get in a flame war in your own thread. If you have a serious troll taking over your thread, either contact a moderator, or drop that thread.

itsnotanova is a great example of how to do it right: http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/52469-parting-out-whole-lot-boxsters.html

These threads, maybe not so right:
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/55004-zeintop-sale.html
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/55963-porsche-996-986-boxster-cassette-drawer-insert-cassette-storage-leather-rare.html

78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:24 AM   #2

Glad you made this . I just texted you. I just saw the news report of what happened out your way.
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by antny View Post
Glad you made this . I just texted you. I just saw the news report of what happened out your way.
Yup. I was worried too.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:21 AM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by antny View Post
One Dead, Two Injured In EagleMed Helicopter Crash Near Lake Euf - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

Thanks. It's a bad day. This forum isn't an appropriate place to discuss it, but for those that know me I wanted to make a couple posts today partly to say, "It wasn't me."
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Thank you for the compliment and I agree with your statement.

No one has said anything to me yet but I would like to defend myself if someone is thinking it. Whenever someone ask if a part is available and price, if you see I didn't respond on my thread. It's because I sent them a PM or I need to see what I have available. I try and keep my posting on that thread to a minimum as not to annoy people by over posting. I get annoyed by that or when someone has an add for every single part they're selling. I do apologize if my thread has annoyed you. I can see why someone would get annoyed by my thread. I am after all a business advertising for free in a forum. I do think I've made a lot more of you happy though.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:09 AM   #6

Garage
Thanks. The "hit me up with offers" line was particularly annoying. If you're selling something, post a price, or an "asking price," or a "firm price." If you can't bother doing that, you're not serious, at least in my opinion.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:09 AM   #7
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Thanks

A certain someone is getting very annoying with his sometime twice daily thread "bumps". There really ought to be a limit on that.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Thanks

A certain someone is getting very annoying with his sometime twice daily thread "bumps". There really ought to be a limit on that.
That member was talking about me posting he was overpriced on a particular dated item he was asking a premium for. Funny thing is that item is so cheap now with no bites on his asking price for his item . I have been on about 10 different automotive forums and no one has ever complained about being an unprofessional forum because of discussion in their for sale post. It is a free forum you don't have to pay to be a member of to post parts you have to other people with like items. Why complain just leave if it bothers you too much? It will be more detrimental to leave leaving a place where enthusiast go to find items.
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:34 AM   #9

Garage
Thanks for the tips. You nailed it

There is no replacement for displacement
Bfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:28 AM   #10
Certified Boxster Addict

Excellent tips! Thanks for posting!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
+1 on this thread and +100000000 for itsnotanova - I have bought things from him several times.

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote