Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2015, 01:45 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 229
"Automatic" OBD2 Accessory

Has this been discussed before? Does anyone use it?

https://www.automatic.com/

Would love to hear some feedback.

Cheers

__________________
2001 Seal Gray Boxster (Hair Salon on wheels)
2013 Audi Q5 (Family Mover)
2006 Yamaha R1 (Adrenaline Machine)
amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:14 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 284
Garage
I have used GoPoint BT1. You have to pay for the Apps.
I aso use Dash Command. I like it better.
These will not give you the info a Durmetric Cable will.
Van
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:10 PM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker
 
78F350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,316
Garage
That's $100. For less than $20 get an ELM327 bluetooth reader:
Amazon.com ELM 327 OBD2 Readers

Then choose one of many $5 or less apps. I like Touchscan.

Last edited by 78F350; 03-03-2015 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Fixed link
78F350 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:12 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 6,013
Garage
Way overpriced and seemingly justified by nothing more than some glossy marketing.

Pass.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:54 AM   #5
1999 base
 
Meir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 1,582
Garage
you guys are missing the point.
this is not a diagnostic tool.
as part of my work, i evaluated this product as well as many others.
in fact, we still have it installed in one of our workers cars.
the fact that this products connects to the OBD port, doesn't necessarily mean it is a diagnostic tool. sure, it will read and report some basic fault codes, but the main goal of this products, it to improve safety and fuel efficiency.
it records trips, fuel consumption, accelerations and harsh braking as well as speed.
based on that, it creates some sort of a score. (very similar to the progressive snapshot).
the app is very very nice and has a lot of options for reports and notifications. it is also integrated with the If This Do That app. very cool by itself.
you can create notifications, set rules, save reports to Google docs and many other cool features.
the question to the OP, is what you expect it to do for you?
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:47 AM   #6
Custom User Title Here
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 6,013
Garage
Oh, I thoroughly read the page. That's why I concluded that it's overpriced for what it is (can get the same features for 1/4 that price).

The webpage is purdy, though.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:25 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 229
What I thought useful about this product is that it has a built in GPS that records everywhere you drive and where you park, etc. I have a Wi-Fi ELM 327 code reader(courtesy of timco on this board, whataguy!) that reads basic codes but isn't really designed to help with safety/efficiency like this accessory is. And its free for life? No fees or subscriptions for the basic services above.

Another thing that drew my interest is that they also claim that they will soon have IFTT support(I see that you mentioned that below), which means you will be able to use recipes for your home automation as well. Simple Example, if car is greater than 1 mile from house, then turn lights off and thermostat to away and lock door. I know this is not a perfect example because you could have a pet or a wife at home while you leave, but you get the idea of the possibilities.

I am not really supporting or putting down this device but just wondering what the other comparable products are in the market that can help you track your car using a GPS transponder like the "Automatic" so you can record your trips? Basically, do they have any real competitors in the market that can offer an average consumer (someone who doesn't want to splice wires or rig up a complex set up and integrate with third party applications) such a service at a cheaper price?

Amit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
you guys are missing the point.
this is not a diagnostic tool.
as part of my work, i evaluated this product as well as many others.
in fact, we still have it installed in one of our workers cars.
the fact that this products connects to the OBD port, doesn't necessarily mean it is a diagnostic tool. sure, it will read and report some basic fault codes, but the main goal of this products, it to improve safety and fuel efficiency.
it records trips, fuel consumption, accelerations and harsh braking as well as speed.
based on that, it creates some sort of a score. (very similar to the progressive snapshot).
the app is very very nice and has a lot of options for reports and notifications. it is also integrated with the If This Do That app. very cool by itself.
you can create notifications, set rules, save reports to Google docs and many other cool features.
the question to the OP, is what you expect it to do for you?
__________________
2001 Seal Gray Boxster (Hair Salon on wheels)
2013 Audi Q5 (Family Mover)
2006 Yamaha R1 (Adrenaline Machine)

Last edited by amitmishra4; 03-04-2015 at 12:30 PM.
amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:54 PM   #8
1999 base
 
Meir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 1,582
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitmishra4 View Post
What I thought useful about this product is that it has a built in GPS that records everywhere you drive and where you park, etc. I have a Wi-Fi ELM 327 code reader(courtesy of timco on this board, whataguy!) that reads basic codes but isn't really designed to help with safety/efficiency like this accessory is. And its free for life? No fees or subscriptions for the basic services above.

Another thing that drew my interest is that they also claim that they will soon have IFTT support(I see that you mentioned that below), which means you will be able to use recipes for your home automation as well. Simple Example, if car is greater than 1 mile from house, then turn lights off and thermostat to away and lock door. I know this is not a perfect example because you could have a pet or a wife at home while you leave, but you get the idea of the possibilities.

I am not really supporting or putting down this device but just wondering what the other comparable products are in the market that can help you track your car using a GPS transponder like the "Automatic" so you can record your trips? Basically, do they have any real competitors in the market that can offer an average consumer (someone who doesn't want to splice wires or rig up a complex set up and integrate with third party applications) such a service at a cheaper price?

Amit
for what it is, i think the price is reasonable (and this is coming for a competitor )
your example of the home automation is perfect if that is what you want to get.
the cots is mostly for the software and support, as the hardware is relatively cheap to make. i think they just came up with a control panel you can use from a PC.
the big disadvantage of that device, is the fact that you need to use your phone as a logger and transmitter. so if someone else is driving your car, or your phone is not synced, you will loose some data. the fuel reading is accurate, although i'm not sure how they calculate the costs (maybe national average price?)
there are many other solutions and companies that offer a similar OBDII "plug and play" GPS tracking device, but the price will be higher (as the HW contains GSM modem), and will involve monthly fees for the communication costs.
we also offer a similar product, but not in the US.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:52 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 229
So who are the proven competitors in the market? I don't know of any really, which is why I am asking. Or are you not allowed to divulge that information becauase of the nature of your work? I would be interested in learning about alternate options out there and want to buy something in the immediate future. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
for what it is, i think the price is reasonable (and this is coming for a competitor )
your example of the home automation is perfect if that is what you want to get.
the cots is mostly for the software and support, as the hardware is relatively cheap to make. i think they just came up with a control panel you can use from a PC.
the big disadvantage of that device, is the fact that you need to use your phone as a logger and transmitter. so if someone else is driving your car, or your phone is not synced, you will loose some data. the fuel reading is accurate, although i'm not sure how they calculate the costs (maybe national average price?)
there are many other solutions and companies that offer a similar OBDII "plug and play" GPS tracking device, but the price will be higher (as the HW contains GSM modem), and will involve monthly fees for the communication costs.
we also offer a similar product, but not in the US.
__________________
2001 Seal Gray Boxster (Hair Salon on wheels)
2013 Audi Q5 (Family Mover)
2006 Yamaha R1 (Adrenaline Machine)
amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:46 PM   #10
1999 base
 
Meir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 1,582
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitmishra4 View Post
So who are the proven competitors in the market? I don't know of any really, which is why I am asking. Or are you not allowed to divulge that information becauase of the nature of your work? I would be interested in learning about alternate options out there and want to buy something in the immediate future. Thanks.
if you are interested in the home automation integration, that product might be the one for you. personally i'm not familiar with any similar product.
if you are looking for a GPS "on line" tracking device, than you will have to invest some serious time doing your research, as there are hundreds of options available.
obviously, i'm not in the position to recommend one.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:50 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 229
Thanks, I will look around and update this thread once I make a decision with the options.

__________________
2001 Seal Gray Boxster (Hair Salon on wheels)
2013 Audi Q5 (Family Mover)
2006 Yamaha R1 (Adrenaline Machine)
amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page